Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ and templates
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ and templates

Hi,

Playing with Proxmox and i've got some questions:

How safe is it to use pre made templates from sites like:
http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/

Do you trust them or do you create your own the tar.gz and move it across?

Also when would you use OpenVZ and when would you prefer KVM? I know OpenVZ shares kernel so it saves on RAM / CPU but you're in turn limited to your hosts kernel version.

So when do you opt for KVM and when for OpenVZ? Any reasons/preferences?

Thanks,

Thanked by 14n0nx

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I don't trust them but not sure how to create own template. Would use KVM but seems by far not as easy to set up as OpenVZ.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

The templates from https://openvz.org/Download/template/precreated are safe to use.

I personally use openvz everything which I don't need to make kernel modifications. It is faster and easier to use so it saves me time.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @4n0nx - It seems you can just tar.gz an existing system e.g. a minimal install and then copy that over. You can then deploy OpenVZ from that. I was just wondering if most did that or if the templates were trusted as the community audits them etc.

I'm also not sure what other benefits KVM holds over OpenVZ etc.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @jeromeza said:
    4n0nx - It seems you can just tar.gz an existing system e.g. a minimal install and then copy that over. You can then deploy OpenVZ from that. I was just wondering if most did that or if the templates were trusted as the community audits them etc.

I'm also not sure what other benefits KVM holds over OpenVZ etc.

The official templates are made by the OpenVZ team. The same team that create the kernel your running on your OS.

So you would hope you can trust them.

Thanked by 2HostNun Mitchfizz05