Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSale Internet - Good Prices, Bad Service (1 and a bit months) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSale Internet - Good Prices, Bad Service (1 and a bit months)

2»

Comments

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I dont mind hardware failing, but when it does, I expect it to be replaced with something THAT IS NOT failing

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited May 2015

IThinkUFailed said: The issue he has is the incompetence of the staff to install drive that is failing in his server

They probably just grabbed a drive off the shelf and threw it in the server. Maybe it was tested a day ago and something happened since then. Maybe not. Who knows?

hawc said: I expect it to be replaced with something THAT IS NOT failing

I expected it to not be raining this morning. Then shit happened.

Rent a car from Enterprise and they'll pick you up. Rent a car from Budget and you'll need a ride to their lot. Either way, you'll get to your destination eventually.

Rent a server from Softlayer and they'll have a tech religiously test every replacement drive when taken in and out of service. Rent a server from WSI and they'll grab the next available drive. Either way, you'll eventually get a working hard drive.

• ReeRee Member
    edited May 2015

@IThinkUFailed said:
    You clearly expressed how Wholesale Internet cocked your request up and have done the same to hawc and now you wish for him to lose money? What a wonderful person you are.

The money was "lost" the second he/I purchased a service with a clear no-refund policy. And they would have eventually delivered a working server to @hawc, as they did to me, and possibly would have even extended his renewal to compensate for the lost time, so he wouldn't have really been out anything anyway.

If he, like me, lost faith in the company and decided to cancel after a month or two without really doing anything productive with the server, then yes that does seem like a waste of money, but that's a risk you take when you sign up with a provider with a no-refund policy.

@hawc said:
    you are clearly a great person. With your mentality, they cocked up my request, BUT they should not have to pay for it? To put that in a more real life example, if someone murdered someone else, would you try and ask them to make the person live again, or send them to jail?

This explains a lot about the way you've handled the situation with WSI :)

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Update, delighted to say that I just WON my PayPal dispute

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited June 2015

reallocated sectors are not always a sign of failure as others have said. i for one had one drive with a huge amount of reallocated sectors and it's still working perfectly fine.

Seagate drives have a higher failure rate (3TB and below the 4TB ones are very reliable)

hawc said: Update, delighted to say that I just WON my PayPal dispute

how did you win this? by unauthorized charge or regular dispute?

• Ree said: provider with a no-refund policy.

they need to provide a clear and working service. am not sure of american laws although i expect similiar. in the uk one would be entitled to a refund in such a case

• Wholesale has a good support, but the hardware is not very good, I had to battle with them, until they had to change 3 hard disks, and recently worked everything.

it is always important that the hardware be reviewed when hiring in wholesale

• @hawc If you're looking for a new US server, go with Dacentec or Delimiter - support is good. I had a failing drive on my Dacentec box - on 2 boxes actually, one happened awhile back , and they ended up just replacing it with brand spanking new one (1 power-on hour) both times.

• I'm glad you won your dispute @hawc sorry I haven't been keeping up in the IRC we frequently are at.

@mikeyur said:
    hawc If you're looking for a new US server, go with Dacentec or Delimiter - support is good. I had a failing drive on my Dacentec box - on 2 boxes actually, one happened awhile back , and they ended up just replacing it with brand spanking new one (1 power-on hour) both times.

He already did go with a Dacentec box. I believe the dual L5420 with 16GB ram.

Dacentec is a fantastic company and have improved further than I could of imagined in the last few years.

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • @IThinkUFailed said:
    He already did go with a Dacentec box. I believe the dual L5420 with 16GB ram.

Ah, missed that. That's the same one I grabbed to replace my 5140 with them and I have another box colo'd there. But I agree, fantastic. Service quality compared to cost is ridiculous, love 'em.

• DavidLDavidL Member

i had a server with them for 3 years without any faulty hardware.. maybe you are bad luck?

• @TarZZ92 said:
    reallocated sectors are not always a sign of failure as others have said.

Anyone mind explaining why? As far as I know, sectors are relocated when there is a read/write error. If there's a lot of bad sectors, it does imply a poor drive health.

• SadySady Member

Regardless of failing HDDs, they installed Windows OS 3 times for you for no extra charges. That clearly tell a lot about their support as I can't see any unmanaged provider to do that for you.
    I believe that you should have given them another chance to replace that HDD.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Didn't know that if you rent a dedicated server from a hosting provider and if their drive fails they charge you for it? Are all providers like that? I'd rather just stick to VPS's... lol.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2015

@Sady said:
    Regardless of failing HDDs, they installed Windows OS 3 times for you for no extra charges. That clearly tell a lot about their support as I can't see any unmanaged provider to do that for you.

Quite a few unmanaged providers provide a panel to do any number of reinstalls for free. I don't know if Windows servers are any different.

They installed a bad disk, it failed. They shouldn't have charged money for replacing a disk on a freshly installed server. It's not the customers fault. They then installed another disk before testing it. Maybe the second drive wasn't altogether bad, still if a disk test was done by them, it wouldn't have shown bad sectors when the customer ran a surface test. Unless the drive was totally crap.

You'd have him take a chance, and pay yet again for another disk? Times have changed. If the provider can't bother doing a disk check before installing hardware, it's best to leave them. Delimiter, Dacentec, online.net.. There are numerous providers who offer quality service at rock bottom price. There's no need to bite the bullet and keep at the mercy of these lazy people.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner Dillybob
  • DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Droidzone said: There's no need to swallow the bullet and keep at the mercy of these lazy people.

Can I use this quote as my signature? Freaking love it.

• @Dillybob said:
    Can I use this quote as my signature? Freaking love it.

Knock yourself out. :D

• Droidzone said: Knock yourself out. :D

Thanks very much, epic quote. Needs to be preached more often. Plenty of deserving hosts with rock bottom prices that are not being seen.

• @Sady said:

Okay, not hard to really install windows check back every like 40 mins input a couple thing such as username and password and done really... Your excuse for their actions isn't that good. Tell me you wouldn't be pissed if they took one failing drive, replaced with a worse failing drive and then told you you'd need to open a 3rd ticket to get the drive replaced, again.

On top of it you expect him to of been charged for them installing windows three times? If they had checked the drives prior to installation they'd of only needed to do that once.

On top of it all his issue still hadn't been resolved at the end of it. He took it to PayPal and asked for a pro-rata refund which is incredibly fair. He asked for a refund from when the issues started. They didn't even bother to respond to the dispute and just let it run out till PayPal automatically favoured the buyer... What fantastic customer service.

Other providers manage it at this price point... Online, OVH (although a little slower usually) Dacentec, Delimiter and countless others such as ReliableSite (Yes applicable. I pay $708 a year for my server divided by 12 = $59 so a very similar price point)

Besides unmanaged just means no software support and it means they cover hardware and network. If hardware fails they NEED to replace it. I don't see how anybody was expecting too much in this situation.

• Droidzone said: Anyone mind explaining why? As far as I know

some new drive could come with this (although usually seagate)

it's the other S.M.A.R.T stuff you should be worried about such as:

reported uncorrectable errors
    spin retry count