Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UK sells unused IPv4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UK sells unused IPv4

edited May 2015 in General

The surplus addresses are part of a much bigger block of 16 million addresses given to the Department of Work and Pensions in 1993.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32826353

Comments

• tehdantehdan Member

There goes my theory I'd be given an IP address in lieu of a pension come retirement...

• emgemg Veteran

@tehdan said:
    There goes my theory I'd be given an IP address in lieu of a pension come retirement...

By the time you retire, IPv4 addresses will be worthless, and nobody will know what you are talking about.

IPv8 addresses will be in common use when you retire, because the United Federation of Planets ran out of IPv6 addresses. Everyone had wasted huge numbers of /64s ;-)

Thanked by 1raza19
  • abatabat Member

Interesting the BBC got the name of the Department wrong, it is for not of.

• tehdantehdan Member

Well on the upside - the UK government isn't going to do anything with IPv6 until it's got maximum cash for the IPv4 its hoarding. If they've started selling it off we might be nearly at the point where they think about possibly looking into IPv6 for gov.uk infrastructure...

Thanked by 1Clouvider