Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostitek gone? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostitek gone?

Comments

• DanDan Member
    edited November 2012

@LAKid & @AstroProfundis I had to go and reply to my own ticket that had been sitting open for 2 weeks, but Hostitek did promptly reply to me with an email containing details for a new VPS and an apology for losing my data. Additionally they pushed out my renewal date by 2 or 3 months to compensate for the downtime.

Go open a new ticket or reply to your unanswered tickets about the downtime, it seems like stale tickets aren't getting replied to, but if you self reply to them now or open a new ticket, Hostitek will be pretty prompt about comping you for the downtime & getting you a new VPS.

Edit: Note, it looks like they lost their old IPv4 block, so your going to get a new IPv4 address & be given a fresh unconfigured VPS with none of the data your old VPS had.

• @Dan said: Go open a new ticket or reply to your unanswered tickets about the downtime

Gonna do it, it would be nice if they come back :)

• wow! they provisioned one in Phoenix susbstituting for LA.

• edited November 2012

Ya, I got their email. They anwsered my ticket:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We're terribly sorry! Because of fraud(client) impact ...
    Our bank account has been frozen, two computers(billing / technical staff use) seized.
    During the period ,we run around the police and banks ... etc, all service are interruptions.
    Now, we get back some funds , and recovery service...
    Has create new VPS and mail .
    The Due Date change to 2013/02/28

Thank you for your patience.
    Hostitek.com

They gave me a new vps, with different IP before my previous one, but seems in the same location for the two IPs are very close. And 3 more months of my renewal time.
    SolusVM and SSH access are all working well.

BTW, seems their OS templates are broken, at least on my node...

It's nice to see them back.

• @lakid That's awesome that they provisioned you a vps, did they extend your renewal date any?

@AstroProfundis open a ticket with hostitek, they just fixed solusvm for my account, hopefully the images they offer work on their Chicago node, I'd like to go to a Debian image once I get to a real computer.

• @Dan said: hopefully the images they offer work on their Chicago node

I'm not sure if I'm on their Chicago node, my node name is phx03 (maybe refers to Phoenix?) and all OS templates are broken.
    They haven't answered my ticket about that yet.

• @Dan they extended 2 months. I am still waiting for Chicago vps provision.

• DanDan Member
    edited November 2012

@AstroProfundis it appears I'm also on the phx03 node, and MaxMind geoip shows that that whole node is in Phoenix. Also, it does appear that all the 64 bit images for Debian are broken, I'm gonna go open a ticket & see if they'll fix it.

• hmm... they are back, eh? just submitted a ticket to see if they will restore my VPSs which still have good 9 months on them... I wish they would at least send me an email that they are back...

anyone else got their VPSs back?

• got all 3 of them back, but certainly not the same locations. here is what I got and the geoIPs that go along with them:

184.22.84.x - Scranton, Pennsylvania
    63.141.224.x - Kansas City, Missouri
    108.177.147.x - Phoenix, Arizona

• GeoIP is wrong more often than not. What did they say when you asked them where they were?

• I've got all my 2 vps back one in AZ and one in IL.
    Hope it continues working...

• @Damian said: GeoIP is wrong more often than not. What did they say when you asked them where they were?

correct, Im sure these are probably not where the IPs geolocate to. I did not ask - hard enough to get any answers so didnt want to bother... :)

• After submitted a ticket, I got my VPS online, but no longer LA location but Phoenix.

• Yeah, they put me on phx03 today and it's been bad. Anytime I use the network for things like aptitude update or wget, it'll timeout and be unreachable from everywhere.

• @herbyscrub said: Yeah, they put me on phx03 today and it's been bad. Anytime I use the network for things like aptitude update or wget, it'll timeout and be unreachable from everywhere.

Same boat with you, LOL

• PHx is probably with Jordan's SS (i.e: Ex-IPXCore location), Kansas is most likely WI/Datashack, and PA is most likely everyone's favorite Volumedrive or Burstnet.

• LESLES Member
    edited December 2012

phx03:

wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2012-12-03 08:19:00--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `100mb.test'

2% [                                       ] 2,622,480   --.-K/s  eta 8h 30m

And the time is growing :O

• @herbyscrub & @seikan is phx03 really that bad? I just installed Debian x64 on my vps on that node & caught this ram useage info 11.97 GB of 15.62 GB Used / 3.66 GB Free. Nevermind, it looks like the Debian x64 image is all kinds of messed up, going back to 32-bit now.

Apt-get update also seems to be taking quite some time, its as though someone is maxing out this node's internet connection, especially when 600KB takes 12 to 20 seconds to download. I'm going to open a ticket over this, someone probably fired up Tor & is letting it run wild on this node.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

@Dan said: 11.97 GB of 15.62 GB Used / 3.66 GB Free

Looks somewhat ok

@Dan said: I'm going to open a ticket over this, someone probably fired up Tor & is letting it run wild on this node.

Don't immediately blame Tor for this. Like I know what recent events have happened but honestly I HIGHLY doubt Tor is involved in this.

@Dan said: someone is maxing out this node's internet connection

This is most definitely it.

I just wanted to say don't immediately go blaming on random things. The support staff should look into that and then take care of it from their end.

of course I don't use/know this company so for all I know they have ducks on their support line.

• @Dan
    Everything seems fine except the download speed. Took me a while to complete all the installation.

• @HalfEatenPie: Not to blame it on Tor, just it seems as though something is pegging the node's bandwidth useage. I'd tend to think that this is something more along the lines of a vps downloading a fair bit of data at steady rate, which is causing inbound data transfers to end up being fairly slow.

• @Dan said: I'd tend to think that this is something more along the lines of a vps downloading a fair bit of data at steady rate, which is causing inbound data transfers to end up being fairly slow.

CamFrog / torrent / file transfer

• Their chicago node is offline.

• I gave up on them earlier this week. My LA VPS stopped being network-accessible, despite solus being positive that it was up and running

• My VPS at phx03 node is still running.

• Yeah, my vps on phx03 is also still up, hopefully it'll stay that way too.

• Slowly dying, hope not painfully ...

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2012

I gave up once my servers finally went down. It is quite obvious to keep what business they could they purchased a bunch of cheap dedicated servers and overloaded them with the customers they had left. When it gets to the point that you have to be on cheap hardware in so-so data centers on overfilled nodes...it isn't worth it anymore. The nodes I was on previously in Kansas and Netherlands (Worldcom - I do not think there are any LEB providers left using them) were great nodes and worked wonderfully, however it looks like something happened with the person paying the bills and they let all their contracts run up and just bought(rented) a bunch of new cheap servers to throw people on. Hostitek used to be in my top 3 favorite providers... now they are bordering the deadpool. At this point those who had paid for a year in advance, take what you can get, others who had the fleeting thought of "ohh I will go buy one of those" ....just don't.

• I still have the one on phx03 as well, but it's useless since it disconnects as soon as I download anything. I can't even finish a apt-get update.