Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corgitech -- they're awesome!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Corgitech -- they're awesome!

a2razora2razor Member
edited May 2015 in Reviews

This may sound like an overstatement of a title or overly positive one, yet honestly I CAN'T think of a more appropriate title here... Junaid's care for his customers and effort to find solutions to get the software they want running is absolutely amazing / top-notch.

Long story short (perhaps not so short, as I'm about to write a wall of text...), I've been a Corgitech customer on and off over over the years. Until recently, I had never taken the plunge to sign up with them long term, and hadn't quite-committed to a VPS provider as I was following the "all-eggs-not-in-one-basket" notion. I was surveying the terrain so to speak and still trying the dozens of providers out there.

I can now say that I am extremely glad that I made the decision to buy into a yearly plan with them.

Which I'll go in to in just a moment...

I made the decision to go with Corgitech for the long-haul in my email and website hosting. Purchased a Dallas Ultimate package a few months ago. That VPS had been working flawlessly with absolutely no downtime whatsoever, minus one datacenter specific incident where CoreExchange's fiber feed was "cut". This wasn't really Corgitech's fault of course, yet Junaid kept me updated every single step of the way on the progress of the datacenter's efforts to get customers back online.

^ Junaid helped me extensively during the setup, including uploading custom ISO's for my installation, as I wanted to slice up the VPS for security reasons between roles via OpenVZ.

Anyway, that's not what I'm here to write this review about (even though that in itself was pretty great of them). The reason that I'm writing this today, is to say how pleased that I am with the handling of a recent 'need' that I tacked onto my existing server roles.

My server was under-utilized (in terms of CPU-load and memory usage). I was using it for email, a small scale forum, and running a few websites. For all these purposes, the server was fantastic and I had no complaints. "But" ---- on the side I had gotten into Starbound and decided that I was going to play it with a few select friends. Naturally I figured as I don't have the bandwidth to host at home, that shoving it onto one of my VPS's was the best decision.

-Corgitech has a relaxed CPU usage policy compared to many other providers. So, they were the logical choice for where to put the game server.

That all said .... Starbound is, as any of you who are operators of the game out there know, incredibly CPU intensive. While I wasn't memory choked for the small number of players that I intended to play the game with, I was CPU choked to the point that the game was unplayable with even 2-3 people on it. [*At the time I was on a dual dodeca machine @ 2.0. There simply wasn't sufficient single-threaded performance for the sandbox game (it'd completely freeze up during heavy fluid simulations and the likes) *]

So, what did I do? Well, I wrote Corgitech asking about the hardware that I was running on, simply inquiring what my options were or if they had any suggestions for me (as I had never benchmarked the system, nor looked into what I was physically running on).

Junaid pretty much immediately suggested that the machine I was on wasn't necessarily appropriate for that type of game, and that I needed more clock-speed. I was also told of course, completely transparently what type of machine I was running on. He said he had such a faster-server available (with a higher speed per CPU core) that he could migrate my VPS to, and additionally offered 'double' the memory IF I wanted to go with setting up a second VPS rather than transitioning. (So that I'd have sufficient RAM for Starbound - this would've been at no extra cost for the memory addition)

---Since I wasn't fully utilizing the machine and was using under half my memory as-is .. I opted to instead go with transitioning just my current VPS over to this other node.

The faster node is an E3 1270v2 (3.5ghz), yet I was told that it had heavy disk-IO on it already (for its other roles). I wasn't overly concerned, as I'm not heavily hammering the disk as is and only having experienced problems due to the CPU-choke... Even so, rather than putting my VPS on that HDD array, I was instead placed on the machine's SSD. (to negate any ill-effects of the RAID's existing use) This isn't anything that I asked for, it was suggested entirely on Corgitech's end in consideration of making sure I got the best possible performance out of my services. No additional cost was asked for it.

Needless to say the migration was flawless, or I might not be so positive as I am right now. The entire transition and discussion in our ticket took place over roughly a single-day. What was once unplayable in the game is now completely playable. The performance improvement is tremendous and this is talking not just purely subjectively, yet also objectively in that I'm no longer pegging vCPU cores according to ntop where I was prior.

I'm also getting more single-threaded performance from my Corgitech VPS than I am with VPS's on plans that offer dedicated cores. This is probably just a difference of VMWare vs Xen.

Junaid's handling of tickets is absolutely top-notch, the service level is top-notch, and consideration is definitely made on a customer by customer basis to provide real & immediate solutions for what a customer wants to use their server for.

Corgitech is one of the best (if not the-best) providers that I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. If you're looking for a provider, especially a VMWare provider, I would recommend them without a second thought.

Put another way: There's very few providers that've given me that warm fuzzy feeling (you know, that they won't leave you hanging dry). The support provided is of that caliber.

Thanked by 1yomero

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

good for you for finding your go to provider

• KakashiKakashi Member

wow thanks a lot for the review :) Glad to be of help.

• yomeroyomero Member

Yes, I read your wall of text as you said.

I've used them like one year ago, and IMHO was one of these underrated providers. They don't had the fastest speeds, but have a lot of locations and stable machines (at least for me).

Also, is the one of the probably just two providers left doing vmware at LEB prices with full access to the funny esxi panel.

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member

Hmm, sounds interesting. Will add them to my, "have to try" provider list.

Thank you for the review.

• corgitech, had many locations, and I loved the vmware and their support (Kakashi) :)

• We've been using Corgi for years. Very stable network and quick support response. Recommened

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

I've read lot of good words about them, and they are also in my to-try-list, to play a little with the unknown for me vmware.
    @Kakashi, just a question: Is the following picture from your site actually a picture, or is it produced automattically as jpg from a monitoring software? Because, if it is the first case (most likely), I would suggest to remove it from there. A stacit image showing the state of your... live servers?

• Also, Miami is not Tampa.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

If you've been here for a while you'll know that Corgitech is a good host. They seem very stable.

@evilghaleon said:
    Also, Miami is not Tampa.

Also Maidenhead is not London.

• KakashiKakashi Member

@jvnadr:

The image is updated if any of our locations are offline. It is a bit out of date now, as pointed out we no longer have a Miami location but moved to Tampa. There are also a Chicago and Atlanta locations that are not shown there. So yes it's out of date and needs updating.

I am actually working on a new site, more mobile friendly etc.. so I've been spending my time more on that than updating the existing one, I've been slacking on the web front end to be honest... playing around too much with VSphere 6 -_-

Thanks everyone for your kind words, means a lot :)

• roykemroykem Member

Yeap to-try-list it is.. Thanks OP.