Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best route for hosting a large forum on a 512MB VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best route for hosting a large forum on a 512MB VPS

2»

Comments

• erkinerkin Member

Just a different taste.

• @hostnoob said:
    The only reason CentOS is so popular is probably because cPanel doesn't support Debian. Other than that I don't see how you can claim CentOS is the better distro...

Now only if you could point out where I made such a claim

• berkayberkay Member

@aldothetroll said:
    Now only if you could point out where I made such a claim

What made you think that it was directed at you? He seems to be just explaining his thoughts.

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • .. I didn't want to be that guy but.... for a 'large forum' you should have at least 1GB ram.

To answer your question nginx + php5-fpm..
    Others have mentioned caching but besides opcode caching.. as forums are pretty dynamic you may not benefit for nginx's cache.
    (unless you make a manual exception for logged in users[pm me if you need help with that])

• Try Nginx + PHP-FPM. There should be some guides/premade nginx configs out there for IP Board.

I'm not familiar with it, but see if there's some static caching plugins that dump a page to HTML (at least for logged out users).

Plugins/Add-ons usually add a ton of additional requests to each page load. So try to offload any dynamic stuff for ad serving or whatever and disable unnecessary features. Look into opcode caching, sometimes just installing APC can drastically improve performance (opcache is bundled with PHP 5.5 and up).