Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

< $ 10/m (small) dedi's? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

< $ 10/m (small) dedi's?

2»

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member

jvnadr said: Do anyone have put the online's kidechires of 2$ on live environment?

I use one as observium and one as jabber/irc server, both work fine - One out of 5 was defective (shutting down all few hours) and was replaced by online.

• CFarence said: What's the Comando SSL Certificate listed under my server?

Comodo - its a free SSL certificate token. You can use it to generate a Comodo SSL cert.

• Ikoula not available.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You tried them? I wanna try the ArkOS box. It's such a cool take on Ajenti.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2015

@Jar actually no, i just wanted to post something to contribute.

I would like to put a Cheap Dedi list on lowendserv if someone has benchmarks about all that Boxes which isnt always on google, feel free to drop me a PN. If @Raymii is okay with it :D

Thanked by 1jar
    edited May 2015

@Infinity580 said:
    Jar actually no, i just wanted to post something to contribute.

I would like to put a Cheap Dedi list on lowendserv if someone has benchmarks about all that Boxes which isnt always on google, feel free to drop me a PN. If Raymii is okay with it :D

I just got one delivered from mininodes.com. Interesting upstream... the IP is Cox Communications. Since I got the ArkOS one I didn't get root, which is an interesting choice and not a terrible idea consider how easy ArkOS is to break last time I tried it (edit: scratch that, admin has sudo). Gonna grab the Linux miniNode and see if I can get more detail.

Feels like a residential grade connection. Quite possibly a business account but I'm doubting it's a datacenter. Not really a problem, no one is running their vital e-commerce app on these things.

Thanked by 2deadbeef erkin
  • PwnerPwner Member

@Jar said:
    Feels like a residential grade connection. Quite possibly a business account but I'm doubting it's a datacenter. Not really a problem, no one is running their vital e-commerce app on these things.

I'm pretty sure Cox is a residential ISP, you're probably right that they might have business class Internet plans, but definitely isn't a datacenter.

Thanked by 1jar
  • AeneAene Member

@Jar said:

Might be a fun proxy/VPN endpoint for Hulu/Netflix if it's residential. But I don't see anything about bandwidth?

edited May 2015

Aene said: But I don't see anything about bandwidth?

If cachefly download is any indication, about 20mbit. There may be other limiting factors, like hardware or network usage, making that look smaller than it is.

Thanked by 2Aene deadbeef
  • PwnerPwner Member

@Jar said:

Off their About page

miniNodes is an Arizona startup, and has an informal mentorship association with the ASU SkySong Venture Catalyst program and the ASU Innovation Advancement Program. Additionally, miniNodes has formed working relationships with Allwinner Technology, the Fedora Project, and the Ubuntu team as well.

Most likely someone's basement/storage room. But if they're providing a good service and aren't lying about anything, I don't see why they can't be a decent provider as well. Only thing I'd be worried about is redundancy and making sure the guy has his bills/student loans paid.

Thanked by 2jar deadbeef

Pwner said: But if they're providing a good service and aren't lying about anything, I don't see why they can't be a decent provider as well.

I mean these aren't primary production boxes anyway, definitely hobbyist/developer stuff. I'm totally down with that.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Pwner
  • @Jar said:
    I mean these aren't primary production boxes anyway, definitely hobbyist/developer stuff. I'm totally down with that.

Hi there,

Found this forum via our analytics, and wanted to confirm Jar's statement. He is correct that these are specifically targeted at developers and engineers. Our customers are primarily Linux userspace application developers, the OS vendors themselves, ARM developers, and ARM SOC industry partners porting code from x86 to ARM, etc. We definitely have some individuals hobbyists as customers as well, but Jar is correct that these are not really used as production servers, and as he stated no one is hosting their "vital e-commerce app" on them. There is no backup / redundancy in place, but by all means, like Pwner said we certainly try our best to provide a good service (very niche, but unique) and are not lying about anything.

Hope that helps!

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@miniNodes some valid info in the domain whois could probably help if you want to build some trust.

By the way, is the physical location Phoenix, or anywhere else?

• @Nyr Thanks, that's interesting, I didn't even realize it wasn't correct. I'll have it updated. And yes, only in Phoenix. We originally considered an east coast presence as well, but, we ruled it out because none of our customers needed it. As our customers are typically ARM engineers and coders etc. as outlined above, we aren't really focused on network speed / location. They fully understand that these are not web-hosting nodes or production boxes, so we scrapped the idea of a second location. Thanks again.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited May 2015

I did order a DelimiterVPS dedi. It runs a few LXC containers now, seems pretty stable so far. The interface is nice, reinstall and upgrading to 14.04 also went smooth.

The KS-1's are so limited...

Thanked by 1MarkTurner

http://list.lowendserv.net/dedis.php

I will complete the rest today, so it should contain everything what was listed here.

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@Infinity580 said:
    http://list.lowendserv.net/dedis.php

I will complete the rest today, so it should contain everything what was listed here.

Awesome! I was thinking of doing a website post myself, but your list is just as nice! (And sortable)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Infinity580 said: I will complete the rest today, so it should contain everything what was listed here.

What dedicated servers are you listing is it < $10 or something?

edited May 2015

@MarkTurner as the site is called lowend, i would not go over 15$/EUR

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited May 2015

I had a similar list already with a bit more options. You are maybe interested on adding some of the providers like Aruba which is 15/month too:

https://wiki.nyr.es/servidores_dedicados_low_cost

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Raymii said: Maybe @mpkossen could do a nice blogpost sometime in the future on the LowEndDedi part.

Will do :-)

• @Nyr said:
    I had a similar list already with a bit more options. You are maybe interested on adding some of the providers like Aruba which is 15/month too:

https://wiki.nyr.es/servidores_dedicados_low_cost

Additional:

Joe's Datacenter has a $16 Opteron 170 in Kansas City, MO.

Leaseweb has some servers between 20~40 Euros... I think their NL is kind of offshore because I saw Wikileaks have a server in them.

@XIAOSpider97 thanks, updated the Joe's bit.

I didn't include LeaseWeb since the servers they offer for 30€ are pretty low powered. Nothing wrong with that since they have a great operation going, but I only include providers doing aggressive pricing in the 20-40 range.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member

@Nyr said:
    XIAOSpider97 thanks, updated the Joe's bit.

I didn't include LeaseWeb since the servers they offer for 30€ are pretty low powered. Nothing wrong with that since they have a great operation going, but I only include providers doing aggressive pricing in the 20-40 range.

Is the £8 UK dedi included :-)

MSPNick said: Is the £8 UK dedi included :-)

Sure if it's a recurring offer which is available at least from time to time. I say this because it doesn't seem to be available now and it wasn't either last time I checked before.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member

@Nyr said:
    Sure if it's a recurring offer which is available at least from time to time. I say this because it doesn't seem to be available now and it wasn't either last time I checked before.

Always available! And it's recurring :-)
    Atom 330

1gb ram

160gb HDD

100mbps/1ip

edited May 2015

@MSPNick nice, do you have an informational page or at least some order form I can link to?

Also, and this is just personal curiosity: are the 100 mbps unmetered? What's the ASN?