Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys use for backups? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you guys use for backups?

2»

Comments

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Dump+rsync is a good way to do this.

Our customers who want to save time with backups use Idera.

• Depends what it is,

For my home desktop at the moment Spideroak and Crashplan (With crashplan uploading to my offsite server)

For my VM's It depends, I only tend to bother if they actually have any data on that needs it, for the most part they either contain data I already have multiple copies of or that I just don't care about losing.

For laptops I tend to just sync anything important to the seafile server and then download it later on the Desktop.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

backup2l+mysqldump+rsync

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Windows boxes = Windows Server Backup to my Vultr Storage VPS in Amsterdam.

• AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited May 2015

Well, all my servers that actually have important stuff on there, are now hosted on a few dedicated servers in VMs so, come backup time. Simple dumps some are backed up hourly, some backed up daily and some weekly to either my dev server @ home for in progress stuff (ie still developing etc) or to one of my Dacentec boxes for everything else. With with an extra copy of the databases stored on another server in San Jose.

Sent by custom script using rsync, scp and a little bit of encoding where needed.

i feel its quite an effective way of maintaining backups.
    I do believe in total, i only have around 300gb of data to backup per week.

• Using Thin Client at home which backup all my servers :)

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited May 2015

I don't have backups atm, but gonna use rsync when I got a storage server.

Offtopic:
    @mlody1039

Images in the signature are not allowed - better remove it.

• tronyxtronyx Member

I'm using phpMyBackupPro to backup all my MySQL databases on other backup server. (backup every 1 hour)

• @Frecyboy said:
    I don't have backups atm, but gonna use rsync when I got a storage server.

Offtopic:
    mlody1039

Images in the signature are not allowed - better remove it.

Oh thanks I was wonder why no one have pictures in signature :)

• skynetskynet Member

Dropbox suit my need

• BochiBochi Member

@Raymii said:
    I'm still using Duplicity with a pre-backup MySQL/PostgreSQL dump script to another storage VPS via SSH. (https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Website-and-database-backup-with-Duplicity.html). The storage VPS itself gets backed up to an Openstack Cloud Object Store (https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Encrypted_Duplicity_Backups_to_Openstack_Swift_Objectstore.html) - fully encrypted.

Recently I've written a Duplicity wrapper for one of my clients: http://cdn.duplicity.so/README.html

+1 over here, pretty much the same setup and pushing to hubiC.
    Thanks for your great blog and articles. ;)

• sc754sc754 Member

I use virtualmin, it dumps the sites to a .tar.gz and then my script encrypts / passwords the files using rar, deletes the .tar.gz and moves the rar to a cheap ramnode vps. I've got the two servers connected using sshfs (mounting the ramnode server on the webserver) as I found ssh keys to be a real pain, for some reason they would work, then not work, then work :/

• WilliamWilliam Member

hwdsl2 said: I've found that if I don't use this switch when creating the archive, later when restoring it from a different system (e.g. when my provider restores my openvz archive from his host node), the file/directory owners are messed up for the extracted files.

Might be - i don't plan on my backups being restoreable as-is, getting data out of it (like mySQL working directory) is enough for me.

Thanked by 1kingjj
  • I use Directadmin system backup it's so freaking easy. I set it to send the backup through ftpevery morning.

• CVS