Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request IPv6 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request IPv6

2»

Comments

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited May 2015

So why does anyone want to pay for a PI space that is not his own? If the sponsoring LIR goes out of business you're pretty much SOL and can kiss your allocation good bye, right?
    I mean, ok, you can set up your own IPv6 peerings but good luck finding someone willing to peer... I don't see a mutual interest here.

So, where's the point except for the nerd-factor?

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited May 2015

No, that's wrong. You can transfer PI space to any other LIR. That's the reason why PI space exists ;-)

Btw, there is a difference between allocated and assigned space. Allocated Space (like PA/ALLOCATED-BY-RIR) allows you to make sub-assignments (as an example, for your customers). Assigned Space (ASSIGNED PI, ASSIGNED) is assigned for a specific purpose.

Thanked by 2Clouvider NeoXiD
  • I see. So one's most likely stuck with tunnelbroker services since no one else is going to peer with you.

• rds100rds100 Member

pechspilz said: So one's most likely stuck with tunnelbroker services since no one else is going to peer with you.

Not true, you can peer with almost any ISP, just not for free.

If you have the money, go to an IXP (like SwissIX/DECIX/NYIIX/LINX) and you'll get a lot of peers.

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited May 2015

I meant peering in the sense of free, not transit. Of course I can pay for transit. If I had the money for an IX or transit I could as well register as a LIR, right ;-)

• Is it going to be around $100/year regardless of how you do it?

At an IXP you get a lot of peers for free, but there are also some networks that are charging for peering.

• rds100rds100 Member

Connection to IXPs is not free (or cheap, as in LET cheap) though, neither cross connects are cheap. Running your own BGP network is not cheap generally.

Thanked by 1pechspilz
  • rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

pechspilz said: I see. So one's most likely stuck with tunnelbroker services since no one else is going to peer with you.

As others have stated tunnel broker is not the only way you could peer. There are a lot of providers that will be willing to peer you just have to contact some as it will not be located on there website. Also as @patrick7 said if money is not a problem an IXP is a great place to found a lot of peers.

• @rds100 said:
    Running your own BGP network is not cheap generally.

That's why I was asking: where's the point for your own budget IPv6 PI space it you're stuck with most likely high-latency tunnelbroker services and no one willing to peer with you for free.

edited May 2015

Yes, someone has to pay for SFPs, Cables, Switches, CWDM,... With the fee at an IXP, you pay for the infrastructure, not for the peerings. Most participants will peer for free, but unfortunately some big ISPs refuse to peer or charge excessive fees.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2015

pechspilz said: That's why I was asking: where's the point for your own budget IPv6 PI space it you're stuck with most likely high-latency tunnelbroker services and no one willing to peer with you for free.

You can peer from a server you own though. With some providers that is. And some servers are not expensive.

• Garrisonhost can offer you IPv6 I believe the price is $30 year.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@pechspilz we setup BGP with our Customers. Heaving your own PI space has some advent ages. You can take it with you when you change providers, so you don't have to renumber. You can do anycasting. You have many more options, that obviously, not everyone will use, and so not everyone needs a PI space. For some a single address or PA subnet is enough.

Nevertheless we don't have a problem if Customer needs to set it up that way.