Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prolexic - possible to get IP of customer's server hosting illegal content?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prolexic - possible to get IP of customer's server hosting illegal content?

I won't name the website, but it's hiding behind Prolexic, and I can't seem to get a response out of them besides the automated crap, Akamai (parent company) has no working email to send them a mail to.

Just want to grab the customer's server IP and send a formal complaint to the local law enforcement of where it's hosted.

Any ideas how to go about that?

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Worldwide headquarters
    Hollywood, Florida USA

Sales & General Inquries:
    Toll Free: + 1 (888) 368 2923
    Local/International: + 1 (207) 608 6213

Support: +1 (954) 620 6002

Fax: +1 (954) 925 6642

• rds100rds100 Member

There is no way a legitimate company would tell you who their customer is. Without a court order that is.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited May 2015

If they won't respond to emails to abuse@ (any decent company shouldn't give out customer information, even to someone who reports abuse; some go as far as not replying even when they act on the abuse notification), and the site doesn't leak another IP (through email headers, or causing the site to request an external resource like an avatar, or through other subdomains, or through other IPs having that domain in their RDNS), your options probably are:

1. Hire a lawyer and, if you have something to actually sue them for, try to obtain the info you want through the legal system (IANAL)
    2. Report the matter to your local authorities, and hope for the best
    3. Report the matter to the local authorities of the company's head office, and hope for the best

No matter what it's really unlikely you'll get that IP.

Edit: I also wonder how unambiguously "illegal" it could be if you're sending emails and posting on a forum rather than speaking to a lawyer or a law enforcement official, especially given the size and legitimacy of Akamai as a company.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • @rds100 said:
    There is no way a legitimate company would tell you who their customer is. Without a court order that is.

Not asking for a customer's name, asking for an IP address.
    I know Cloudflare discloses that stuff upon DMCA.

• Court order or if you are suffering losses and you don't want to claim too much then go to county court name the owner of the site (note that the information is unknown) and Prolexic as joint defendants. In the wording to the court request that the court demand defendent 2 reveals the true identity of the defendant 1.

They'll simply serve your documents via mail on Prolexic, they will either respond to the court and defend it (unlikely) or reveal the owner and say they are no involved. At which point you can either take it to court or just be glad that your £50 got your the information you wanted.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @lbft said:
    Edit: I also wonder how unambiguously "illegal" it could be if you're sending emails and posting on a forum rather than speaking to a lawyer or a law enforcement official, especially given the size and legitimacy of Akamai as a company.

The content is contrary to law in the UK, and the site is hosted in Europe.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

KwiceroLTD said: Not asking for a customer's name, asking for an IP address. I know Cloudflare discloses that stuff upon DMCA.

They do not. They disclose the hosting provider and forward the abuse report.

KwiceroLTD said: The content is contrary to law in the UK, and the site is hosted in Europe.

"UK" and "Europe" are two very different things.

• @joepie91 said:
    "UK" and "Europe" are two very different things.

I've looked it up in Europe laws, it's also illegal.

@KwiceroLTD said:
    I've looked it up in Europe laws, it's also illegal.

"Europe laws"?

• @joepie91 said:
    "Europe laws"?

"Under EU law, personal data can only be gathered legally under strict conditions, for a legitimate purpose. Furthermore, persons or organisations which collect and manage your personal information must protect it from misuse and must respect certain rights of the data owners which are guaranteed by EU law."

• RalliasRallias Member

Ok, here's the thing. krebsonsecurity.com is not illegal in the EU. It never was, it never will be, and the fact that you're making bullshit accusations on a public forum are offensive.

Thanked by 2lbft perennate
  • KwiceroLTDKwiceroLTD Member
    edited May 2015

@Rallias said:
    Ok, here's the thing. krebsonsecurity.com is not illegal in the EU. It never was, it never will be, and the fact that you're making bullshit accusations on a public forum are offensive.

It is hosting some content which isn't allowed Rallias. Not bullshit, simply doing my job.

• RalliasRallias Member

KwiceroLTD said: It is hosting some content which isn't allowed Rallias. Not bullshit, simply doing my job.

Your job isn't making up laws that don't exist. Your job isn't enforcing made-up and/or misinterpreted european laws on a person known to be an american. Your job is doing web hosting software, and if you can't handle that without making a scene trying to dox a security professional (a task which does have legal implications), you need to talk to a shrink.

• lbftlbft Member

LOL.

Legitimate journalism is very unlikely to be removed. If you really want to take down Brian Krebs, start paying a solicitor a four figure hourly sum now. And remember the Streisand Effect.

Thanked by 2NeoXiD perennate

Worth nothing that EU privacy legislation is not absolute. There's always a trade-off between privacy considerations and other considerations. And in the case of journalism, the scale rarely tips in favour of privacy.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • @OP - what do you believe that there is wrong on krebsonsecurity.com?

Thanked by 44n0nx lbft NeoXiD sin
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

isn't that the "security guy" whose site runs on wordpress and has mixed content on https? lelel

• @Rallias said:
    Your job isn't making up laws that don't exist. Your job isn't enforcing made-up and/or misinterpreted european laws on a person known to be an american. Your job is doing web hosting software, and if you can't handle that without making a scene trying to dox a security professional (a task which does have legal implications), you need to talk to a shrink.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I've already got his personal cell phone number, his address. Furthermore to that statement, I've met him at conferences before. Very simply he's hosting personal information of a friend of mine, and I'm trying to get it taken down. Now you can go on your way if you don't like what I have to say / am doing.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • BruceBruce Member

@KwiceroLTD said:
    he's hosting personal information of a friend of mine

true information or false information? you still haven't said what this is about

• KwiceroLTDKwiceroLTD Member
    edited May 2015

Bruce said: true information or false information?

I'm going to decline to expand on my statement besides saying it's valid information. Also if you used your eyes and read, you'd see "hosting personal information of a friend of mine, and I'm trying to take it down"

• PwnerPwner Member

@KwiceroLTD said:
    I'm going to decline to expand on my statement besides saying it's valid information. Also if you used your eyes and read, you'd see "hosting personal information of a friend of mine, and I'm trying to take it down"

If your friend cares that much about the information, he should go hire a lawyer. You've clearly proven that you aren't the right person with the right tools and knowledge to handle this predicament.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2015

@kwiceroLTD

Remember that the law game plays both ways. Do enough stupid things and he'll come after your ass legally. So, ask yourself if that's worth it for your "friend".

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

@KwiceroLTD: Just my two cents, but as you've said that you even met him at some conferences, have you tried sending him a nice message asking to take down that personal information? Might be worth a shot before pissing various people off, and as deadbeef said, it could easily backfire.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Not that I am a big Brian Krebs fan, but whoever is hosting him isn't going to give you his dox within a court order. Brian isn't anonymous either, so you can directly contact them.

Ether get the court order or let it sink and hope for the best, which is probably a better idea than trying to censor a U.S. site.

• Op hadn't mentioned the url he was after and everyone knew it was this Krebs guy. How did you guys knew he was after that guy?
    I've googled him and apparently he is quite relevant..

• deadbeef said: Remember that the law game plays both ways.

Yep.

Nyr said: but whoever is hosting him isn't going to give you his dox within a court order.

Refer to statement I made I already have his information, obtained lawfully.

Nyr said: Ether get the court order or let it sink and hope for the best, which is probably a better idea than trying to censor a U.S. site.

US owner, site based in Europe. It isn't censorship, just a peaceful request.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2015

KwiceroLTD said: Refer to statement I made I already have his information, obtained lawfully.

I was referring to the ISP in the backend (if any) which is what you apparently want.

KwiceroLTD said: US owner, site based in Europe.

US owner, site hosted on an anycast network by an American company. Not going to work for you.

KwiceroLTD said: It isn't censorship, just a peaceful request.

If it was a "peaceful request" you would contact the website owner, not the upstream.

Thanked by 2NeoXiD Mark_R
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

The "friend" can request search engines to have the result removed if he lives in the EU.