Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Security+ WHMCS Enhancement / Addon -- looks like something everyone w/ WHMCS should get
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Security+ WHMCS Enhancement / Addon -- looks like something everyone w/ WHMCS should get

ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
edited May 2015 in General

Ran across this just now -- seems very good.
http://securityplus.griffinhosting.com/

Anyone already running it?

I'm about to start for http://www.RIJX.com to provide additional security for my customer base on WHMCS.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Actually that looks really nice @ItsChrisG let me/us know what the actual product is like?

I would love to be able to validate MX records and send email confirmations to free email hosts, that would cut 90% of the waste of time orders straight away.

The burning question is why the hell does WHMCS not do this already... I suppose they are to busy making skins and calling then versions :)

Thanked by 2MikePT isalem
  • ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited May 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    Actually that looks really nice ItsChrisG let me/us know what the actual product is like?

I would love to be able to validate MX records and send email confirmations to free email hosts, that would cut 90% of the waste of time orders straight away.

>

The burning question is why the hell does WHMCS not do this already... I suppose they are to busy making skins and calling then versions :)

Aha! Yup ^^

• AnthonySmith said: The burning question is why the hell does WHMCS not do this already... I suppose they are to busy making skins and calling then versions :)

Any WHMCS employee here, please apply some aloe to your burned areas. LOL

Thanked by 2ItsChrisG MikePT
  • @AnthonySmith said:

+1

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

Exactly...

I could paste a ticket I had with WHMCS a while ago, really sums up everything about them.

Started with "Why did you remove the at a glance orders per month year vs year bar chart in version 5.x that was available in 4.x"

They came up with every diversionary answer possible and then it eventually ended in being escalated twice to which the official answer was "No real reason, we just did" along with the usual "Why not use our suggested feature function if it gathers enough up votes we will consider it and add it to our roadmap".

Fast forward a few years I opened a ticket about the way the invoicing works pointing out the failed logic between invoice types add-on's pre purchase/ post purchase, upgrades/downgrades etc and asked them if this was by design and if so could they explain the reason behind it which again resulted in an escalation only to get back the answer ""No real reason, that was just the way it was done"

AGAIN along with the usual "Why not use our suggested feature function if it gathers enough up votes we will consider it and add it to our roadmap"

This time however I pointed out it has been suggested 2 years ago and was one of the most popular up votes on the whole suggestion system.

To which that conversation ended in them admitting they don't actually use the suggestions at all when deciding what features to implement.

SO tl;dr if its broke we wont fix it, if its an improvement we don't care we will however give the impression you can have a say but we ignore it in reality.

And a year later we have V6 coming out,... which again, seems to be nothing but a skin.

All style no substance.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

They come up with new versions in order to get more sells, license renewals and support renewals.. mostly valid for owned license guys..

And you know what, I would be happy to pay 3 times the license price if it meant they only doubled the useful work output.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2015

I don't see much use in that software myself. You can set up a lot of those things manually. When it comes to security it's usually better to do things that way so that you understand what is going on.

Also, I would question how good the software is. It would need to be bulletproof and my experience is that a lot of these 3rd party add on modules are poorly tested/maintained.

The other problem is that every time you upgrade WHMCS there will always be this question whether it will break that software which is fairly common with 3rd party addons.

Not so simple for 'all' of those things though and to have it integrated and point in time automated is great.

• smansman Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Not so simple for 'all' of those things though and to have it integrated and point in time automated is great.

Best of luck

sman said: Best of luck

I don't even know what that is supposed to imply but... thanks?

Thanked by 1perennate
  • ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited May 2015

@sman said:
    I don't see much use in that software myself. You can set up a lot of those things manually. When it comes to security it's usually better to do things that way so that you understand what is going on.

Also, I would question how good the software is. It would need to be bulletproof and my experience is that a lot of these 3rd party add on modules are poorly tested/maintained.

The other problem is that every time you upgrade WHMCS there will always be this question whether it will break that software which is fairly common with 3rd party addons.

Whats the point in talking this software down? It does nothing but good and its cheap.
    I bet you talk it down and have none of those features enabled/built for your WHMCS instance.

How many people here are going to waste their time or even have the skill (and time) bother setting all that up manually and have to maintain it, etc, etc V.S. $15/YEAR

If $15 a YEAR is that important to you, for you to take on the responsibility of building and maintaining a mirrored copy of this product, then you've got way bigger things to worry about than WHCMS or whatever type of 'business' you are trying to run from WHMCS, and yes, I guess this software isnt for you???

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

While this can be an excellent secuirty script/feature, it needs to be tested by 3rd party security researchers, companies that specialize on it.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2015

@ItsChrisG said:
    If $15 a YEAR is that important to you, for you to take on the responsibility of building and maintaining a mirrored copy of this product, then you've got way bigger things to worry about than WHCMS or whatever type of 'business' you are trying to run from WHMCS, and yes, I guess this software isnt for you???

For $15 dollars a year I'm sure you will get exactly what you pay for so best of luck.

• @ItsChrisG said:
    Ran across this just now -- seems very good.
    http://securityplus.griffinhosting.com/

Anyone already running it?

I'm about to start for http://www.RIJX.com to provide additional security for my customer base on WHMCS.

Thank you for the kind words ItsChrisG. I am the author of this addon, and have been a WHMCS user since it first came out.. I agree, there are probably better products out there now, but at the time I started my hosting business, WHMCS was my best option. Yup, WHMCS is lacking in a lot of areas, thats why over the last 5 years I have developed my own add-ons and tweaks and use every day on my own web hosting business - www.griffinhosting.com (so I eat my own dog food). I never originally intended it to be a standalone product, but so many other WHMCS users have asked me for help over the years, I finally decided to package it all up neatly and collect a meager fee for my time. Thank you to all who have actually tried it out and provided suggestions and feedback to improve it.

Thanked by 1ItsChrisG