Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any cheap LEB in US West Coast?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any cheap LEB in US West Coast?

CoolMoonCoolMoon Member
edited October 2012 in General

Looking for a cheap VPS, hopefully no more than $20/year with 128M RAM.
Never had the luck to get a $15 one from BuyVM...
The one I have at Hostigation goes down for about 10 minutes every few days, not a big deal but pretty annoying...
I wonder if there is any other choice in west coast?
Thanks.

Comments

• @CoolMoon said: Hostigation goes down for about 10 minutes every few days

I think more than yourself would report something like this, so I am curious what is happening as you are the only one I know of saying this in Los Angeles.

• @CoolMoon That's not server down, that's network losing packets sometimes.

• Sorry for the confusion...I am not complaining...
    Right...I think there is something wrong with the network connection...because the result of "uptime" command looks good...just lost connection every few days...and each time it is about 10 minutes...sounds like the regular "restart" time for some servers...So I guess it might because some other servers which have impact on the network connection of my node need to be rebooted from time to time...
    dunno...just my blind guess...I am a noob...not experts as you guys...
    Overall I am satisfied with hostigation...but personally I would prefer a downtime for 2 hours every month rather than 10 minutes every few days...I know it's my problem...:)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

If you follow pingdom, hostigation does go down frequently. I've seen one correct report, and dozens false. Be sure you're checking it yourself because I doubt that's actual downtime.

• Well, attacks come in from time to time that could effect this, but rarely last longer that a few minutes as I mitigate them very quickly most times. If the uptime of your VPS says one thing, the node you are on will say the exact same thing, if I reboot the node, it will cause your VPS to also restart.

The main router I use has been up since the day I moved in, so that is not at issue here either. One thing that does come to mind is your local ISP, are you able to access the internet at all during this time? Maybe ping google.com or something similar to verify you have access to the internet at the time of these outages. I'd like to see this through, and your issue resolved, but I do not think it is in my direct control without more users seeing the same effect.

• We've been with Hostigation @ LA and haven't seen such (network) downtime yet. Have been monitoring it for quite a few weeks at least.

• I haven't had any noticeable downtime with Hostigation in LA for a good few months.

• No...not from my ISP...I just use free service from uptimerobot...maybe similar to pindom...got some false reports...but I did verify a couple of times myself, although not all the time, that I cannot open my website on that VPS while my gmail works fine.
    It seems I cannot trust any third party monitor system any more...
    Is there any simple script or php code can be used to monitor the sites myself?

• @CoolMoon said: Is there any simple script or php code can be used to monitor the sites myself?

Nagios, accept no substitutes. It is what I use to monitor the entire network for close to the past 20 years. Currently I use centreon as a nagios front end.

• @CoolMoon said: It seems I cannot trust any third party monitor system any more...

Is there any simple script or php code can be used to monitor the sites myself?

I suggest you also make sure that it's not your website that's causing problems. It could be the web server crashing, running out of memory or all sorts of reasons in this case. Your website can be down whilst hostigation is up.

• @CoolMoon is your site or the VPS itself going down? Can you SSH to the VPS when the site is down?

• @miTgiB said: Nagios, accept no substitutes. It is what I use to monitor the entire network for close to the past 20 years. Currently I use centreon as a nagios front end.

Is centreon free? I can't seem to find any pricing on their website. It's not that user friendly.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited October 2012

@miTgiB said: Nagios, accept no substitutes. It is what I use to monitor the entire network for close to the past 20 years. Currently I use centreon as a nagios front end.

What about Cacti? Munin used to be pretty popular.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2012

@concerto49 said: Is centreon free?

It is, you can purchase a support contract, or read the docs (in French). I do have a pre-created centreon template in the library for OpenVZ clients.

• I have heard Nagios before, but not centreo...
    Is Nagios easy to deploy and use? I am not geek-level linux guru...
    Basically I just want to set up a site to ping all my vps every 5 minutes and shows the results. If no response, then try to ping google and yahoo to determine if it is monitor's own problem.
    Is it possible to achieve that with some simple php codes that I can download somewhere?

• @CoolMoon said: Is Nagios easy to deploy and use?

I would say no, many are scared away from it as there are too many options to configure, but over the past 2 decades of providing service, it is the only app I trust to do a good job at reporting network response, and you can configure it to monitor ports, not just a silly ping. So if ping responds but http has failed, what good have you accomplished with pinging your server?

• @miTgiB said: So if ping responds but http has failed, what good have you accomplished with pinging your server?

In the case you know it's not the network connection but rather something on the server. I think Nagios and pinging are complementary to each other.