Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers,do you charge customers when they want to use a custom iso?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers,do you charge customers when they want to use a custom iso?

It's strange that one provider here charge me a one-time fee to get access to custom isos. Does your provider do that too?Please share your experience.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

If it's for a virtual machine, that's pretty weird.

If you need to rent a KVM for a dedi or something like that, that's a different story.

• No I do not. It takes up a bit of disk space and there is some setup time so I can see how some providers might charge a deterrent fee.

• @Nyr said:
    If it's for a virtual machine, that's pretty weird.

If you need to rent a KVM for a dedi or something like that, that's a different story.

it's a kvm vps actually.

• I don't think Vultr charges for custom isos.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

No, we don't do that at Clouvider.

• HosthinkHosthink Member, Host Rep

We do not do that.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

I don't see why a provider would charge for this service as it will only hurt business. How much time does it really take to add an iso to the iso repository? A minute at most? Use rsync to keep the other nodes updated, done and a new happy customer.

@maoyipeng - What provider charges for this if you do not mind sharing?

Any provider that does charge for adding custom isos want to chime in and explain why they charge? Just curious to hear the logic behind it is all.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member

@MeanServers said:
    I don't see why a provider would charge for this service as it will only hurt business. How much time does it really take to add an iso to the iso repository? A minute at most? Use rsync to keep the other nodes updated, done and a new happy customer.

maoyipeng - What provider charges for this if you do not mind sharing?

Any provider that does charge for adding custom isos want to chime in and explain why they charge? Just curious to hear the logic behind it is all.

Providers would most likely charge if they are very low end and not making enough?

No idea. I don't charge.

• their reply:We charge a nominal fee for custom ISO files because it's labor intensive for a technician to download the ISO, checksum it, and then distribute it across our infrastructure so it's available to you.

@MeanServers said:

maoyipeng - What provider charges for this if you do not mind sharing?

• MSPNickMSPNick Member

@maoyipeng said:
    their reply:We charge a nominal fee for custom ISO files because it's labor intensive for a technician to download the ISO, checksum it, and then distribute it across our infrastructure so it's available to you.

Who is this provider? Sounds like the laziest on earth that's a five minute job

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

@maoyipeng - Ha, labor intensive, that's a good one.

• it's ultravps.com.the performance is pretty good though.

@MSPNick said:
    Who is this provider? Sounds like the laziest on earth that's a five minute job

• @maoyipeng said:
    it's ultravps.com.the performance is pretty good though.

May be @Rob_T can shed some light on this :)

• We offer custom ISO free for two times. Then he would have to pay a small fee as many shady ones tried to keep our employees busy by sending custom iso requests. The fee is exceptional.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

"Backupsy"

Charges for this, $2 seems a huge ripoff imo.

• TarZZ92 said: Charges for this, $2 seems a huge ripoff imo.

Huge, yes.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited May 2015

@maoyipeng said:
    it's ultravps.com.the performance is pretty good though.

How much are they asking for writing at most (if not properly implemented) 3 commands in their console?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I wouldn't ever charge something for such easy task.

• Keep kids from submitting Backtrack or security ISOs requests with the fee

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Wintereise said: Huge, yes.

anything over $0 is wrong imo. cost them nothing, and in fact helps them (for future clients)

• TrafficTraffic Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    anything over $0 is wrong imo. cost them nothing, and in fact helps them (for future clients)

Well, it costs them long-term, but the cost is marginal compared to the potential clients' business they can earn by supporting another ISO. It opens them another niche market - you're actually giving them ideas of people to which they can market to.

• Lets have an experiment for my curiosity: start up a "bring your ISO" hosting service, allowing them to submit an ISO, and see what happens.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

doughmanes said: Lets have an experiment for my curiosity: start up a "bring your ISO" hosting service, allowing them to submit an ISO, and see what happens.

what a stupid comment.

• lbftlbft Member

TarZZ92 said: cost them nothing

It costs them staff time, and for any provider that isn't a teenager running a "company" over the summer that's a significant part of the cost, and low end providers' margins are tiny.

• 5$

@Traffic said:
    How much are they asking for writing at most (if not properly implemented) 3 commands in their console?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

lbft said: It costs them staff time, and for any provider that isn't a teenager running a "company" over the summer that's a significant part of the cost, and low end providers' margins are tiny.

is everyone here this insane?

it cost them nothing,

• emgemg Veteran

At least one provider offers a way for you to upload your own .iso and start up from it on your own without assistance.

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
  • TarZZ92 said: what a stupid comment.

TarZZ92 said: is everyone here this insane?

it cost them nothing,

Woke up butt hurt it seems

• TarZZ92 said: is everyone here this insane?

it cost them nothing,

Oh I see. When did power, bandwidth, time of employee become so cheap Free

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

sdglhm said: Oh I see. When did power, bandwidth, time of employee become so cheap Free

don't be silly, it does not cost anything to press download.

doughmanes said: Woke up butt hurt it seems

excuse me?

Thanked by 1MikePT