Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr: $50 free trial
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr: $50 free trial

Vultr are offering a $50 free trial to new customers!

• Offer is not valid for existing customers.
  • $50 trial credit is valid for 60 days.

http://www.vultr.com/freetrial

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

No, the trial is absolutely free. We do verify your account with a small pre-authorization charge to your credit card ($2.50) but this will disappear from your statement within a short amount of time.

Which means they can happily continue charging you if you forget to spin down your instances after 60 days, and the offer is not usable for anybody without a credit card.

Meh. That's very much stretching the definition of "free".

• @joepie91 said:

So, don't forget to spin them down. Free. And who doesn't have a cc/debit in 2015?

edited May 2015

deadbeef said: So, don't forget to spin them down. Free.

Yeah, just like the "free" subscriptions to books or consumer goods getting mailed to your doorstep, as long as you remember to cancel. They're considered deceptive business practices for a reason. It's very easy to forget to cancel. And that is what the company in question banks on - it's literally the business model.

deadbeef said: And who doesn't have a cc/debit in 2015?

The world doesn't just consist of the US, you know. There are plenty of countries where creditcards and Visa/MC debit cards are not a commonplace thing - the Netherlands being one of them.

My debit card is a number-less Maestro card. I can use it to pay in stores, withdraw from ATMs, and log in to my e-banking - but it doesn't have a CC number, and doesn't work like a credit card.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

joepie91 said: Which means they can happily continue charging you if you forget to spin down your instances after 60 days, and the offer is not usable for anybody without a credit card.

not to forget the excess charge for most UK/eu banks (in my case about £3)

• J1021J1021 Member

@TarZZ92 said:

Your bank shouldn't be charging for pre-authorisation charges.

• People complaining about free stuff. LET has hit a new low.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2015

@hostnoob said:
    People complaining about free stuff. LET has hit a new low.

A lot of people want free to mean "Without personal liability, connection to my identity, or any effort to maintain zero cost." It doesn't, but it doesn't stop them from demanding those things in the face of the word "free."

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2015

@joepie91 said:
    Yeah, just like the "free" subscriptions to books or consumer goods getting mailed to your doorstep, as long as you remember to cancel. They're considered deceptive business practices for a reason. It's very easy to forget to cancel. And that is what the company in question banks on - it's literally the business model.

Hey, you're right - along with the $50 free credit they should give a free smartphone with a pre-installed alarm notification in 60 days. Or even better, why not a free secretary, as obviously people are so stupid they can't use a free google calendar notification - oh wait, that's not free either, it's stealing your ... data.

edited May 2015

@joepie91 said:
    My debit card is a number-less Maestro card. I can use it to pay in stores, withdraw from ATMs, and log in to my e-banking - but it doesn't have a CC number, and doesn't work like a credit card.

So, it's Vultr fault you guys don't have Visa on Netherlands. Sweet. And I'm not in the US, I'm in Greece - funny how Visa has come to my bankrupt country and you can't get one on the rich North. :|

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

kcaj said: Your bank shouldn't be charging for pre-authorisation charges.

it does at first but after refunds obviously (usually 5 days). but every payment after you get charged.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@deadbeef said:
    So, it's Vultr fault you guys don't have Visa on Netherlands. Sweet. And I'm not in the US, I'm in Greece - funny how Visa has come to my bankrupt country and you can't get one on the rich North. :|

Your country actually supports creditcard adoption to prevent bank runs and large scale cash usage.

edited May 2015

@William said:
    Your country actually supports creditcard adoption to prevent bank runs and large scale cash usage.

Yeah, they've been saying this for decades, I doubt it will be implemented before EU makes it mandatory overall.

Pro tip: Never believe what Greek politicians say, neither what they vote - only what gets enforced and those things don't correlate strongly ;)

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • WilliamWilliam Member

Denmark will do it shortly - Since some days restaurants and shops are not required to take cash at all, other countries will follow. Only the german national bank has spoken out against that for now.

edited May 2015

@William said:
    Denmark will do it shortly - Since some days restaurants and shops are not required to take cash at all, other countries will follow. Only the german national bank has spoken out against that for now.

In economic terms, banning cash moves the system from a central bank fiat to a government fiat. Countries like Germany who don't inflate the money quantity as much, don't want that shift. The more inflationist ones do, as a means to lock their citizens wealth into their control. If you can't store cash, the value of your deposits is arbitrarily and momentarily change-able :) That's why you'll notice funds that actually store physical cash, they expect cash to be worth a premium over deposits soon.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Even at free, Vultr seems overpriced. I just don't have a use for a VPS sitting on RAID-0.

deadbeef said: Hey, you're right - along with the $50 free credit they should give a free smartphone with a pre-installed alarm notification in 60 days. Or even better, why not a free secretary, as obviously people are so stupid they can't use a free google calendar notification - oh wait, that's not free either, it's stealing your ... data.

Do you have an actual argument, or are you just going to throw empty rhetoric at me?

deadbeef said: So, it's Vultr fault you guys don't have Visa on Netherlands. Sweet. And I'm not in the US, I'm in Greece - funny how Visa has come to my bankrupt country and you can't get one on the rich North. :|

There's a reason we don't have Visa as a common thing here. The payment systems in the Netherlands are a good deal faster and more secure than the traditional CC system. A creditcard cannot compete with it locally.

Thanked by 2Droidzone Mark_R
  • creepcreep Member

i dont want free, gimme $1/month vultr vps. i am willing to pay.

• @joepie91 said:
    Do you have an actual argument, or are you just going to throw empty rhetoric at me?

It is an obvious one, does it really need any rephrasing? If you aren't able to make a note to shut down the vm in 60 days, it doesn't mean it's not free for 60 days, it simply means you aren't capable of scheduling a simple action. Not their fault.

A creditcard cannot compete with it locally.

That's great. How about you get a Visa as well for those international orders your system can't do instead of being on the outside? Does a debit visa really cost a ton in your country? If it does, I agree you have a point for not having one.

edited May 2015

deadbeef said: It is an obvious one, does it really need any rephrasing? If you aren't able to make a note to shut down the vm in 60 days, it doesn't mean it's not free for 60 days, it simply means you aren't capable of scheduling a simple action. Not their fault.

Yes, it's their fault. They explicitly designed the trial so that it would charge you if you forgot, relying on people not paying attention to it. That is a conscious decision, and they're fully responsible for it. Your reasoning is that of a company lawyer trying to find a legal loophole.

deadbeef said: That's great. How about you get a Visa as well for those international orders your system can't do instead of being on the outside? Does a debit visa really cost a ton in your country? If it does, I agree you have a point for not having one.

I don't think it's even possible to get a VISA debit card here, only creditcards. I've certainly not seen anybody offering them. And yes, creditcards typically have significant fees associated with them.

Thanked by 2Droidzone Mark_R
  • NomadNomad Member

@joepie91 said:
    I don't think it's even possible to get a VISA debit card here, only creditcards. I've certainly not seen anybody offering them. And yes, creditcards typically have significant fees associated with them.

Where I live, I pay about $25 per year for per visa/mastercard credit card. It ain't cheap.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    edited May 2015

@joepie91 said:
    Yes, it's their fault. They explicitly designed the trial so that it would charge you if you forgot, relying on people not paying attention to it. That is a conscious decision, and they're fully responsible for it. Your reasoning is that of a company lawyer trying to find a legal loophole.

Legal loophole? Ha. Not even close! Saying one should be responsible enough to add a calendar notification to stop his subsription somehow is a legal loophole? How about "simple mundane action a monkey could be trained to perform" instead? I know, they should provide the trained monkey for free as well....

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • HostNunHostNun Member

@deadbeef said:
    So, don't forget to spin them down. Free. And who doesn't have a cc/debit in 2015?

Thanked by 1deadbeef

deadbeef said: Legal loophole? Ha. Not even close! Saying one should be responsible enough to add a calendar notification to stop his subsription somehow is a legal loophole? How about "simple mundane action a monkey could be trained to perform" instead? I know, they should provide the trained monkey for free as well....

You seem to be conveniently omitting the part where these trials are designed to bank on people forgetting about it.

• @joepie91 said:
    You seem to be conveniently omitting the part where these trials are designed to bank on people forgetting about it.

It's simply your assumption that everyone is stupid enough not to schedule a simple action. Sure, I don't doubt there's a percentage of brain-dead morons who can't do that and should remove themselves from the gene-pool, but hey, shit happens and yeah, another pecentage may actually happen to forget/skip it because life gets in the way.

So your argument is "morons" + "f*ck this, I have other things to deal with now" = "host's new BMW". Why don't you open a summerhost, make a free trial and be able to invest to SpaceX and have beers with your new buddy, Elon? :|

deadbeef said: It's simply your assumption that everyone is stupid enough not to schedule a simple action. Sure, I don't doubt there's a percentage of brain-dead morons who can't do that and should remove themselves from the gene-pool, but hey, shit happens and yeah, another pecentage may actually happen to forget/skip it because life gets in the way.

So your argument is "morons" + "f*ck this, I have other things to deal with now" = "host's new BMW". Why don't you open a summerhost, make a free trial and be able to invest to SpaceX and have beers with your new buddy, Elon? :|

So, I should interpret what you're saying as "they deserve to be scammed", or what? Because that seems to be what you're saying.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
    edited May 2015

@joepie91 said:
    So, I should interpret what you're saying as "they deserve to be scammed", or what? Because that seems to be what you're saying.

No, that's how you're inclined to read it. I'm saying that if one's a moron, one's a moron. And the moron's inability to shut down a vm within a well-known period of time is probably the least of his problems. Contrary to popular belief, the rest of humanity does not have to adapt to the moron.

And obviously, the above characterization ("morons") does not include those who planned to take action but life got in the way.

Okay, so you're saying that "they deserve to be scammed". Good to have that cleared up.

• I just signed up using a prepaid debit card that had about 2 dollars left on it. I didn't want to get in a situation where I forgot I had this account and then get charged for it. I'm getting a "No route to host" error when trying to log in.

• @joepie91 said:
    Okay, so you're saying that "they deserve to be scammed". Good to have that cleared up.

Looks like you're out of steam and have to resort to putting words in my mount, in order to "defend" by pretending that's my position.

Too bad your silly tactic doesn't work with people who can actually use that thing between their ears. If your cognitive ability is found lacking in a conversation, it's not a shame to say "I'll think about it" instead of doing the hamster dance. Take the chance and leave with your pants.

deadbeef said: Looks like you're out of steam and have to resort to putting words in my mount, in order to "defend" by pretending that's my position.

Too bad your silly tactic doesn't work with people who can actually use that thing between their ears. If your cognitive ability is found lacking in a conversation, it's not a shame to say "I'll think about it" instead of doing the hamster dance. Take the chance and leave with your pants.

No, I've just run out of patience with your bizarre use of rhetoric. If you have an argument to make, then just fucking make it, straight to the point.