Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Extremely serious virtual machine bug threatens cloud providers everywhere" - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Extremely serious virtual machine bug threatens cloud providers everywhere"

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@getvps said:
    This is best example why guest user on virtualization systems need to have one strong solution for crypting data/system (without chance of attacker to dump RAM memory or other things like this!)

Yeah, no. That's not going to make any difference here. FDE only protects data 'at rest' (ie. powered off), and the host node can always access the RAM of the VM if they are sufficiently competent, that's just how it works. Even a dedicated server doesn't completely eliminate that risk, although it requires physical access - you can just plug into any DMA-capable slot (PCI, Firewire, ...)

• getvpsgetvps Member

@joepie91, huge issue is not if "legit" people can access your plain data, but one private bug like this created and used by "badguys" is very dangerous..

• @SpeedBus is CrownCloud patched? Thank you :)

• cassacassa Member

@Traffic said:
    MrGeneral MCHPhil cociu sambling incloudibly hbjlee17 MeanServers MSPNick SkylarM ndelaespada HostSailor

@drserver

• Has SolusVM put out an announcement? I know they do roll their own Xen RPMs for some clients.

• tcpdumptcpdump Member

Meh, two hosts at @MCHPhil are down since two hours ago as well as the billing area.

@getvps said:
    joepie91, huge issue is not if "legit" people can access your plain data, but one private bug like this created and used by "badguys" is very dangerous..

Yes. And what you suggested doesn't protect you against that.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

perennate said: We are performing a global reboot on Friday 15 May 2015 at 11:00 pm EDT per the announcement email. We are opting not to perform an immediate reboot to give customers the chance to reboot their virtual machines on their own schedule, because we have security mechanisms in place that limit the malicious actions that could be performed from an exploit of this vulnerability. VMs provisioned or stopped/started after 2:30 pm EDT will not need to be rebooted during the global reboot.

Volume-backed instances (i.e., VMs with their root partition in a volume) will simply be live-migrated, and thus will not need downtime. This live migration is in progress, and customers will be notified of which VMs were live migrated today evening.

Apologies for the update, but we have decided to proceed with suspend/save/restore/resume operation tonight instead of the global restart on Friday.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I think it is best to shutdown all VMs, you cannot rely on the customers to do it, I think I would think they have to be shutdown even if the advisory does say clearly this is not required.

As for safety, since you cannot trust your host, VM or dedi, the risk is the same. Any host has access to your data on any kind of medium, the only way to keep it private is full encryption and never mount it on a vm not fully in your home/premises where you have full control. As for external access due to vulnerabilities, that is the same on vm or dedi.

The only case where there is a difference, is this, horizontal access through a compromised(able) virtualization layer.

Thanked by 1MikePT

Maounique said: the only way to keep it private is full encryption and never mount it on a vm not fully in your home/premises where you have full control.

Even that won't cut it. Somebody can still break into your house and take your server.

joepie91 said: Even that won't cut it. Somebody can still break into your house and take your server.

If that is encrypted too and you unmount everything anyway when not in use, not really.

But, given enough time and resources, any encryption will be broken, although torture can also make you give the key.

Depends who is after you, in the end, if they want to plant something, nobody can stop them, so, there is really no escape for the little guy, except moving to a country where the rule of law is respected.

Maounique said: If that is encrypted too and you unmount everything anyway when not in use, not really.

If it's unmounted, it's not a very useful server.

• creepcreep Member

what if this venom thing attack silently since 2007 ? why they just found/released it yesterday.. now all my privacy is gone.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

kcaj said: I think that's very unlikely. This is the internet where word can spread like wild fire.

You can't rule out that a black hat group, or even a state security or spying agency has found this some years ago and kept it to themselves. Or maybe multiple groups at once. Knowledge about widely exploitable but not yet patched stuff like this can be worth a lot of money, why would they disclose it? It only took till 2015 till some of the actual security experts looked closely at the same pieces of code and figured it out, but who can guarantee that they were the first to do that.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

rm_ said: You can't rule out that a black hat group, or even a state security or spying agency has found this some years ago and kept it to themselves. Or maybe multiple groups at once. Knowledge about widely exploitable but not yet patched stuff like this can be worth a lot of money, why would they disclose it? It only took till 2015 till some of the actual security experts looked closely at the same pieces of code and figured it out, but who can guarantee that they were the first to do that.

Sure, but such vulnerabilities can exist in any software interacting with untrusted input, we've seen critical SSL and web server bugs in the past. So why is dedicated server "orders of magnitude" more secure than virtualized server? Don't think anyone's saying that dedicated isn't more secure, just that there's other factors too.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2015

SSL and web server bugs

Well for one, the web server runs as its own user and not as root, so any web server expoit won't expose your E-Mail if it's handled by the same server, for example.

perennate said: why is dedicated server "orders of magnitude" more secure than virtualized server

Because a virtualized server is vulnerable to everything a dedicated server is, and then a whole new class of instant-root-over-the-whole-system possible exploits.

Also it's a proverbial "RAID0" of vulnerabilities: with a VPS the security of your system depends on both your system not being compromised, AND THE PROVIDER'S HOST OS on the node not being compromised. I believe even by the probability theory this alone counts as "an order of magnitude" less reliable. Your security depends on two systems one of which you don't control and don't even know a lot about (e.g.: is it updated with security patches? how often?... who has the credentials to manage it?... do they store those securely? etc etc)

rm_ said: Your security depends on two systems one of which you don't control and don't even know a lot about

Many more than that, actually. If a breakout vulnerability exists, every VM on the system is a possible attack vector for your service.

• tehdantehdan Member

Exactly - only needs 1 VM on the same node as you to be badly configured and the bad guys have a vector to use venom against the host and access all the vms.

What's a typical number of vms per host?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The moral of the story: F*ck floppy drives. :D

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

funyuns_are_awesome said: @SpeedBus is CrownCloud patched? Thank you :)

Yup, all done last night :) http://status.crowncloud.net/open_issue.php?id=52

• SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

jeff_lfcvps said: Has SolusVM put out an announcement? I know they do roll their own Xen RPMs for some clients.

If you run C5 and Xen 3.4.x we have some RPM's in testing
    https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/DOCS/Xen+3.4.x+RPM+Releases

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @vpslegend said:
    do you need to apply patches manually or can this be done by a simple yum upgrade?

For KVM you will need to yum update qemu-kvm and STOP and Start all VMs.

edited May 2015

depends on nodes, older hardware cant keep too many due to memory and cpu being insufficient, newer hardware with quad E5 or equivalent each with 6 cores+ and 512 GB ram, can have hundreds of VMS, not oversold.

• smansman Member

What is the minimum required here? I know you have to stop then boot the guests but can you do that one at a time after updating QEMU on the host or do you have to stop all of them before starting any of them up again?

If that is the case wouldn't it just be easier to reboot the Host? Or whatever sort of global reboot necessary that stops the guests.

• NickMNickM Member

@sman said:
    What is the minimum required here? I know you have to stop then boot the guests but can you do that one at a time after updating QEMU on the host or do you have to stop all of them before starting any of them up again?

If that is the case wouldn't it just be easier to reboot the Host? Or whatever sort of global reboot necessary that stops the guests.

You can do them individually. The issue is in the qemu binary itself, so once the updated qemu binary is installed, any new qemu processes will be safe from the issue.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sman said: can you do that one at a time after updating QEMU

Yes if it is KVM you can do 1 at a time after updating qemu-kvm.

With Xen you will need to reboot, in fact with Xen I would suggest you do an orderly shutdown of all guests then reboot in the the standard kernel, update Xen, then reboot in to the latest Xen version.

• smansman Member
    edited May 2015

I don't do Xen. I guess I may as well just reboot my KVM hosts. Less work than going through and powering down and starting each guest.

• @virtualizor said:

Wouldn't pausing/suspending them also work as presumably that would also kill the qemu-kvm proccess forcing a new one to be started on resume?

• smansman Member
    edited May 2015

@dragon2611 said:
    Wouldn't pausing/suspending them also work as presumably that would also kill the qemu-kvm proccess forcing a new one to be started on resume?

I don't think so. It specifically says you need to power off or migrate the guest in the Redhat bug report. If you could pause/suspend they would have said that.

• tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
    edited May 2015

@virtualizor said:

Can you give some input to this ticket?