Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Customer who's DDoS was mitigated still complains - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Customer who's DDoS was mitigated still complains

Comments

• vedranvedran Veteran
    edited October 2012

@vpsnodebox said: On the other hand he has good reason to be worried because he doesn't know for sure if he managed to delete all of his data of his VPS, and if I was him I would be worried to.

Another twist in this saga. Popcorn time?

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited October 2012

@vpsnodebox said: If you read this thread I extended to him every possible courtesy and I refunded him without he even asking for a refund just so that I could establish communication between me and him

Agreed that you were not rude, but did the customer ask for a refund? How is that establishing communication between you and the customer, buy shoving money in the customer's face when he didn't ask for it?

@vpsnodebox said: That is all I can say, as I won't discuss customer details on a public forum.

If you don't want to share, don't post in the first place. If you had taken care of this entire in private, or left to @kbeezie to deal with internally, likexian could be ranting and raving as much as he wanted to in this thread, but the thread would have no weight because no representative of vpsnodebox responded so it's a one sided rant by likexian. It's entirely because you chose to reply in a defensive way that the thread turned out like this. Same thing happened in the other thread, if you didn't reply to it trying to defend vpsnodebox, the thread wouldn't have escalated and it would be just people discussing about the kinds of maintenance times.

I think the rest of the providers would agree with me that both this and the other thread would have turned out much better if you didn't reply at all, or simply apologized and said you are discussing with the customers privately, thus you cannot comment publicly about the case.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I started reading this and realised I was out of popcorn so I will skip straight to the point I wanted to make.

The priority when dealing with an attack is to stop the attack, it is not to log the attack, while logging it is important it secondary to fixing the issue, the reality is because kids can pick up botnets for pennies now even if you were sent a log of all activity you would not be able to do a great deal about it, in my experience about 95% of the reports that take hours to complete never get any sort of responce.

Hosts are in business they have no reason to shut you down without good reason, bashing hosts over the head because they try to protect customers and their own business is just plain silly.

FYI: I did not read the whole thread as it scans like drama for the sake of drama.

• @Kenshin said: I think the rest of the providers would agree with me that both this and the other thread would have turned out much better if you didn't reply at all, or simply apologized and said you are discussing with the customers privately, thus you cannot comment publicly about the case.

You make an excellent point. And it in the near future I will hire someone to take care of public relations. I do not like being in forums and replying all the time and probably shouldn't. To be honest it is exhausting and I have allot of other things to do.

If you read around the thread you will find the answer to the rest of your questions. I do not want to repeat myself.

@Nekki said: Mate, I think where you're running into trouble is that you're so defensive about everything.

I think I need a break from LET.

@vedran said: Another twist in this saga. Popcorn time?

Nope, it ends here.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2012

How to handle this:
    1. Send notice to customer his VPS has been taken down because the DC detected a DoS against his IP.
    2. Customer asks for proof.
    3. Host either provides proof or apologises for the lack of it at which point offers a refund saying it is out of their hands.
    4. Customer still unhappy ? well, nothing more you can do, but must keep in mind offering a refund and terminate VPS is not something all customers take easily. Keep a polite and explanatory attitude at least.

Starting to bash a whole nation and even race is not really helpful. Not to mention moral.
    M

Thanked by 2fan likexian
  • @Maounique vpsnodebox

1. without any notice, util i wait for some hours and ask why stoped.

2. of course ask for proof.

3. no proof, no apologises, all is my failure, but not proof.

4. i won't happly, i clearly know what i am doing, abuse or not.

above all, they just do one thing: all the custimer is wrong, but without any proof, and then just guessing guessing guessing.

• @vpsnodebox said: On the other hand he has good reason to be worried because he doesn't know for sure if he managed to delete all of his data of his VPS, and if I was him I would be worried to.

Nice slight of hand hinting there is something the client did wrong.

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited October 2012

Saw this thread when I woke up this morning (yes, the first thing I am doing these days when I get up is to take a look on LET :)) and spent the past 20 minutes getting through everything...

Here is what I think:

1. As someone who was born in China and has grown up overseas, I understand that why people want a lot for pennies which is something that people in North America/Europe might feel weird about. I remember when I was a little kid, if my parents had to buy any major electrical appliances (fridges, TVs, etc), it was always delivered and installed for free, if they were buying furniture, again they will never come in just boxes we got from IKEA. Because labor cost is so cheap in China and the fierce competition, people provide services on anything you buy and they probably brought with them the same attitude when they are getting into the VPS market.

2. I agree with @AnthonySmith that stop DDOS attack is top priority and hence keeping the logs, while could be important, is not the top priority. However I am sure @vpsnodebox is not the first one to have angry Chinese customers on LET, and rarely any of those ended up getting posted on a public forum, let alone becomes a thread with hundreds of replies. I think as a relatively young provider who is new to the market, it might be important for @vpsnodebox to take a look at how others run their business. People are naturally pissed when their VPS is offline for no reason and due to language barriers, they might put up words that they probably won't use on people otherwise, so it is to your best interests to keep your calmness as a provider before it becomes a PR disaster.
      Also, @vpsnodebox, I think with all honesty, the fact that you were trying to broaden the topic and claim you are getting fed up with the "Chinese customers" is definitely not helping the situation. Take a look at @likexian's reply and you will know towards the end he was getting pissed not just because of the logs but because you were targeting the Chinese customers in general. If you have that much headache over the Chinese market, you can simply choosing not to offer the service to that market by a simple geo-IP redirection with a message to apologize, I think that would have ended so much better compare to attacking a certain ethic group in general. I for one is a overseas Chinese, but yet, after signing up and reviewing this many VPS providers, I have yet to get my first abuse report. And like what I have mentioned before, I am sure there are kids from North America/Europe who like DDOSing other people, however that does not mean all of them are DDOSers.

3. Now to all my Chinese friends such as @likexian, I think it is fair for me to say that as long as you get your money back (I believe you have mentioned that @vpsnodebox has offered you a refund on the spot, it probably took him a while to get the money refunded because he probably have quite a few things in the pipe and I do not think refunding is a priority for any provider), then it is time to stop. It is not easy for people to get started a VPS business and reputation is everything for an online business. After all, you are literally paying what it cost to buy a beer in North America for one month of VPS service. Also, in the North American culture at least, when people promise you something, it is taken as "I will get it done, but it might take a little while" so be more patient next time. Make others happy and you will be happy too.

Just my thoughts.

• it's kinda funny.
    the customer asked for proof, u should simply answer yes or no, and why.

@vpsnodebox said: I refunded him without he even asking for a refund

it's not a good choice, dude. it sounds like "here's your money and f**k off from my company".

Thanked by 1likexian
  • @vpsnodebox said: I think I need a break from LET.

Wise move mate, I think your plan to hire someone to work the forums for you is a decent idea if you're not comfortable participating yourself.

• flyfly Member

Op is clearly right I mean everyone knows Dos attacks are the providers fault and not the client amiright

Thanked by 1Kairus
  • RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

@fly said: Op is clearly right I mean everyone knows Dos attacks are the providers fault and not the client amiright

i hope this is a joke,

even if that is a joke, its a bad joke

Thanked by 1netomx
  • flyfly Member

I bet it was ranty who did it

• @fly said: everyone knows Dos attacks are the providers fault

No they are the DCs fault!!

@Zen said: You have every right to -

It doesnt work that way. The customer has the right t expose the company in public to some extent, while the company has no right to disclose customer data.
    That can be settled in a court of law with the proper procedures in place.
    M

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: No they are the DCs fault!!

you stole that from @LAKid...

• flyfly Member

Yeah I agree it's totally practical and highly recommended to sue the company in this situation

• @vpsnodebox am seriously thinking about starting an abusive user database for US providers.

FraudRecord!!!! list them.. This'll make it good for the rest of us.

edited October 2012

@fly said: Yeah I agree it's totally practical and highly recommended to sue the company in this situation

Actually I meant the company can sue the customer or call the police if he/she did something wrong. Simply implying something here or put up proof nobody can authenticate is null and void. Not to mention it breaches the privacy.
    M

• @Maounique said: Actually I meant the company can sue the customer or call the police if he/she did something wrong. Simply implying something here or put up proof nobody can authenticate is null and void. Not to mention it breaches the privacy.

M

@fly is trying to be sarcastic :)

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

@Randy said: you stole that from @LAKid...

No i'm obviously just making fun of @LAKid

• i know :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Well, do you saw the moon last night?

• Comedy gold, but well handled @vpsnodebox - Should I need a new .us vps, you're definately on my list :)

• I woke up and... faceplam, well back to work.

• paukiatweepaukiatwee Member
    edited October 2012

So the solution of host provider is:
    Stop the VPS and refund, without prove that the client's host is being DDOS?

From the client point of view:
    Today I wokeup and my VPS is gone, and the VPS host said my VPS being DDOS and will refund me. What?

For someone agree what host provider did:
    Ok, my VPS is gone, no email from VPS, no proof of my VPS being DDOS, and I got refund, just forgot it. I will buy new VPS from this host again.

I can become LEB provider as well, by simply refund if anything goes wrong.

Thanked by 1likexian
  • Next version of SolusVM will queue bandwidth logs on the HW Nodes which ends all these problems where we cant see which VPS was the target or source of a DDOS attack. Not that the graph proves what it is or is not because were not graphing pps or anything like that.

BW graphs in solus are a joke. During DDoS the node cannot be contacted most of the time anyway so it wont be of much help...
    M

• Next version of SolusVM will queue bandwidth logs on the HW Nodes which ends all these problems where we cant see which VPS was the target or source of a DDOS attack

Your DC doesn't provide you stats by IPs? -

• Logs on HN are still pointless, Most datacenters can provide Per IP Details.