Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the accepted notification time that a provider should give - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the accepted notification time that a provider should give

13»

Comments

• @vpsnodebox said: @mpkossen The customer wants performance and reliability at the end of the day. That's all that the customer cares about.

This doesn't warrant giving an 60-minute notice and being oblivious to the fact that customer would want some time to inform their customers. There are thousands and thousands of providers out there who provide a stable, well-performing and reliable server. Service is where you usually make the difference.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@96mb said: You see @Nick could have jumped out and argue with you they were doing everything under the sun to offer the best service to their customers, but he chose not to, and that is where I think you should learn from him. There is no right or wrong in this matter, no customer is happy with this kind of email and no provider could really do anything to promise there won't be incidents like this, so the best approach, if you are willing to take my advice, is just to keep quiet, if a customer is not happy, offer him/her a refund and apologize and leave the thread alone. Trust me, threads here do sink really fast.

Sounds like good advice to me.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @joepie91 said: The only way I can see this being a crime (and even that is disputable), is if the TOS explicitly state that you need to provide valid details.

You need to read up on contract law then. When you agree to a TOS online, you are agreeing to a contract. If you provide false information on that contract, then you are committing fraud. Talk to a lawyer and see if it legal to sign a contract under a fake name.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@winston said: I sit with a GMail tab pinned to chrome

Me too, but it is not of much help when you sleep, is it...
    M

• @vpsnodebox said: emergency

Hey there,

We're about to deadpool, however you will not get your money back. Don't complain because it's emergency downtime.

Oh, and it's the datacenter's fault.

• @Jack said: Bashing other providers when a provider doesn't look very good.

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what your talking about.

I was just joking about the whole "include emergency in everything" and "blame the datacenter" thing. I'm not targeting or bashing any providers.

• @Jack said: them

them?

• @Jack said: It looked like you were taking a dig at them.

I'm pretty sure they are their own worst enemy

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • SpencerSpencer Member
    edited October 2012

• @96mb said: You see @Nick could have jumped out and argue with you they were doing everything under the sun to offer the best service to their customers, but he chose not to, and that is where I think you should learn from him. There is no right or wrong in this matter, no customer is happy with this kind of email and no provider could really do anything to promise there won't be incidents like this, so the best approach, if you are willing to take my advice, is just to keep quiet, if a customer is not happy, offer him/her a refund and apologize and leave the thread alone. Trust me, threads here do sink really fast.

It is solid advice and I have shown his email because just like you, I believe that I should have followed @Nick_A's example. He is a solid provider and we use RamNode for a couple of our DNS nodes, and will most likely increase our business in the future with them.
    @Nick_A is an extremely dedicated person and a very talented individual considering that the services that he offers with RamNode are extremely unique. We are all trying to differentiate ourselves with what we offer.

@mpkossen I am sorry, but we where in contact with most of the customers on that node and they where not happy that a couple of other customers where abusing it. Instead of just pulling the plug on the abusers we decided to act and put a BBU in there instead of scheduling maintenance for it, so that we could re-enable caching on that node without the risk of compromising and data integrity. I should have worded that email differently, that was my mistake.

@craigb I admit that I should have handled this issue and the thread differently. So I apologize and by no means did I give you a refund as an invitation to leave, but because I didn't want you to feel bound by the money that you paid. Basically I didn't want you to feel any buyer's remorse. Your account is still there and you are more than welcome to come back, just send an email over to reopen it.

Thanked by 2craigb Nick_A
  • @vpsnodebox thanks for the apology - I appreciate it. Refunding money to a customer without a merchant note or accompanying email when the customer has not asked for it or is not expecting it leaves the customer not knowing whether you're about to kick them out or you had a sudden change of heart and hit the refund button. In my case it actually created buyers remorse. I'm like "why is this dude throwing my money back at me?". Your communications consistently sent the wrong signals and I suspect it's due to you losing perspective (tiredness, tough week, etc etc) and conflating issues. Passion is great - and you clearly have that (one of the reasons I gave myself for hosting with you) - but if I could give you some parting advice it would be to work on your empathy. You were right to respond to this thread since you were the opening example, but the rash response followed by accusing your previously happy customer of stuff created left me seriously questioning your judgement. That's the reason I won't renew for now. Peace, Craig

• @craigb You hit the nail on the head. While my company is by no means a one man operation, I have been handling allot of the workload lately, but more importantly, I have been dealing with some abusive and temperamental customers and it took its toll on me. I hope to find what you are looking for and I highly recommend that you give RamNode a try. @Nick_A is a really good guy. Take care, Marc.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @vpsnodebox When you say you put a BBU in, Do you mean to say prior to that you was running without one...

• @Jacod @Zen
    Guys, next time please make an effort and actually read the contents of a thread before bumping it. We had a bad controller with a bad battery and when we replaced it we had no battery on hand to put in at that time. We don't enable caching without BBU and it's set to fall back to no caching in case the BBU fails. Data integrity comes first.

@vpsnodebox said: We had to replace a RAID-10 controller in kvme5w1 and unfortunately there was no BBU on hand (it's on our announcement list)...

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited October 2012

@Zen -And what exactly is it that you're doing?- Sorry for asking, never mind.

• davidcdavidc Member
    edited October 2012

• @Zen sorry, davidc works with me and I was at his workstation for a second. I saw your post and I wanted to make another remark, but maybe I just shouldn't. We are doing Drupal work as well besides web hosting. Anyway, look, there is no point in arguing. I do not have anything to prove and definitively I do not have a problem with you @Zen. I do not have any problem with anyone here. So I am sorry if I had upset you, not my intention.

• @vpsnodebox I think your problem is "you talk to much"

• @LAkid

He's allowed to defend him or his company if he knows he has nothing to hide. And hasn't done anything wrong.

Thanked by 1PhoenixVPS
  • I've gotten notifications from HudSonValleyHost regarding Node Reboots, however, they were sent multiple days before the planned date in a timely manner.

• During my stay with SecuredServers and providers using them (whom relayed the messages). I was given anywhere from 48hours to a fortnights notice.

For this sort of problem that was given by VPSNODEBOX I would of assumed atleast 12 hours; so that people who were not available (asleep) would be informed prior to their VPS being flicked off randomly. Depends how busy the node is and its use; for example, this is in no way justification of anything like "let's just switch it off". But if the node has 4 tiny 256mb users; you can almost guarantee they won't doing anything mission critical, however on the same note, if you have 40 users then you can be assured atleast one of them is doing something mission critical and shouldnt be halted without notice.

Thanked by 1PhoenixVPS
  • PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited October 2012

@eastonch said: Depends how busy the node is and its use; for example, this is in no way justification of anything like "let's just switch it off". But if the node has 4 tiny 256mb users; you can almost guarantee they won't doing anything mission critical, however on the same note, if you have 40 users then you can be assured atleast one of them is doing something mission critical and shouldnt be halted without notice.

I agree. The node had few customers on it and we where in touch with most of them. We coordinated with the data center so that we would do it in perfect sync, and the entire operation took just as long as a reboot. I appreciate your thoughts on this, thank you.

In conclusion I believe that this thread has long outlived its usefulness, and the issue, or issues have been debated and beaten to death and I no longer find it useful to answer the same or similar questions. I respectfully ask @Chief, or one of the moderators like @Infinity for example to please close the thread. Thank you very much.