Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServerBear
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServerBear

Does anyone know what happened to ServerBear I remember they where pioneering the way people rated VPSs based on performance and not the way that the plans where marketed. They used to create alot of new blog posts and keep very active with their customers, but I don't see anywhere on their site where they say it was abandoned. Anyone got any news?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

The bear is in hibernation.

• ChuckChuck Member

@Nekki said:
    The bear is in hibernation.

I forgot to give them honey. Do you think they will be hungry?

• @Chuck said:
    I forgot to give them honey. Do you think they will be hungry?

I also tried contacting them about 1-2 weeks ago with no luck - I remember I had tried once more back in past. Even honey did not work, interestingly. They definitely are in hibernation until something/someone wakes them up...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

The guy has quite a few other projects, I don't think this comes to high in the priority list, because it just doesn't generate as much income as the others. I remember he had a fairly popular coupon 'website plugin' sort of thing and then a fairly popular giveaway 'website plugin' sort of thing and likely more.

• @Infinity said:
    The guy has quite a few other projects, I don't think this comes to high in the priority list, because it just doesn't generate as much income as the others. I remember he had a fairly popular coupon 'website plugin' sort of thing and then a fairly popular giveaway 'website plugin' sort of thing and likely more.

Well, that makes sense then. I personally don't know him but I know how painful it can be to deal with multiple projects at once. That, for me, explains it.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

It was such a neat concept I hope the owner doesn't let it die.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

jbiloh said: It was such a neat concept I hope the owner doesn't let it die.

you should offer to purchase it off him :)

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:
    It was such a neat concept I hope the owner doesn't let it die.

I used to visit servbeard pretty often when they were actually updating it. No I have no reason to visit anymore. It seems like it's already dying.

• Benchmarks were never interesting to me because it empowered the biggest-numbers-must-mean-better crowd when many do not understand how benchmarks worked on a shared server

• Still use it for personal, normalized benchmarks.

• Hey guys :)

Benchmarks still work etc but we've moved onto other projects that took off in a big way for us so maintaining the actual plans side of Serverbear ended up slowly losing priority.

Few issues as to why this type of project is tough to run (in the aim of transparency):

• Hosts change their plans all the time, it's very painful to keep everything up to date (especially as your data grows)
    • You have to have a high attunment to spot "summer hosts"
    • There's many hosts that have no idea how to run an affiliate program. It's a very shady world out there (not naming names). There's also some hosts that are awesome at this though.
    • You could run advertising (i.e. BuySellAds) to make it worthwhile, but then you end up biasing things a bit.
    • The large hosts that pay decent commission never really get exposure because their actual performance sucks.

That being said, the site could easily support a single owner in terms of income :)

We've had quite a few offers for the site, which we're considering. However we'd like to see it go to a good home, plus there's a few technical dependancies that would need to be sorted out.

Thanked by 2FredQc colingpt
  • LESLES Member

serverbear said: There's many hosts that have no idea how to run an affiliate program. It's a very shady world out there (not naming names).

I can do this: GreenValueHost, BlueVM, Cloudshards... :D