Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudlayer anyone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudlayer anyone?

jhjh Member
edited October 2012 in General

Considering getting a Cloudlayer (Softlayer VPS) server to replace my rather expensive "personal" server, as it seems to tick all of the boxes and is less than half the price I'm paying now. I used them some time ago and it was pretty neat, but the disk IO was only average. Has anyone used them recently?

Comments

• If their support/sales would not be useless i'd consider it as well:

My eMail:

Dear Softlayer team,

I sort of fail to see how i sign up to Cloudlayer - The only way seems to be to order a cloud directly, i however sign up at multiple services currently, store my Creditcard and want to later use them maybe
    when i need computing capacity.
    So getting a cloud instance now is... useless.

Is there a way to signup now and then order/create later as it is for example on Amazon, Rackspace, HP... etc.?

Side questions:
    As i am in an EU country do i need to pay VAT? We have an EU VAT ID, so we should not need to pay it (Basically i'm asking if the "contract" is done with Softlayer US/Asia or Europe).
    If i deploy a cloud instance in Europe/Asia, what data protection laws apply? In special i'm interested if the PATRIOT Act and similar US laws apply, which violate our local data storage and protection laws here.

Thanks for any help,
    William

The reply:

Hello,

No I am sorry the only way to sign up to be a customer is to purchase a new server or service from us.  Please let us know if you have any additional questions we can assist with, we will be happy to assist.  Thank you,

Joseph W.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

We are using Softlayer but not their VPS. They are OK

• jhjh Member

Haha that's the clueless guy I just spoke to on live chat. I need it permanently though, so the adding/removing capacity on demand thing isn't a problem for me.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@William said: If their support/sales would not be useless i'd consider it as well:

Oh look, the typical one-question-syndrome :D

• @jhadley what kind of specs you looking for.

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2012

Heh.. My requirements.. Try not to LOL too much..

10GB redundant SAN disk
    1GB memory
    Dedicated CPU - at least 1 full core
    Good disk IO, and at least a dedicated 100Mbps port
    Ideally London Docklands location but might compromise on this
    /29 PA assignment
    Full virtualisation
    No management but 24x7 "emergency" support by telephone and email from people who know what they're doing
    Plus points for companies who run their own AS, and are a LIR

At the moment paying £70+VAT/month (don't ask me how that happened) and getting all of the above, but would love to pay a little less.

As you can see, Cloudlayer ticks all the boxes except the London location, and they're roughly £35/month.

• so you want Xen or KVM

• jhjh Member
    edited October 2012

@24khost said: so you want Xen or KVM

Yeah, either's fine

• @jhadley LoveVps seems to have just what you need, only it is equal share cpu. But it is Matt and he is pretty reliable.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

He wants SAN not SSD.
    M

• LoveVPS don't use redundant SAN storage though, im gathering that's an absolute must since its an unusual requirement :P