Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Company registration info on website?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Company registration info on website?

BruceBruce Member

I'm interested in people's opinion about having to show company registration details on provider's website.

The rules here mention providers under 1 year old, but nothing about those more than a year old.

UK companies are required by law - http://www.out-law.com/page-431

I see some providers here mentioning "company registered in XXX and YYY", "registered company/trademark". However very often there's ZERO information about the company registration on their website.

Is there any requirement for US companies to show info?

Also, what about invoices? Certainly in UK and Australia you must show the company details on invoices, including details such as VAT number, company registration, and trading address.

How is it that many providers here issue invoices without such basic details? OK, some say XYZ LLC, so I can probably google it. But why not be clear and state company number and place of registration. For all the hate on GVH, at least they were clear about the company registration (if only they got other things right too)

As a customer, do you care? you should, in case the provider goes AWOL and you want to seek legal recourse.

As a provider, do you care? either for your own company, or others.

And my last question - those providers who think their company name is worth trademarking and include ® everywhere, please let people know where the trademark is registered (especially if you provide services in EU)

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

I think in most of EU countries there are local laws which say that it is mandatory to list your company information on your website (if you are selling something via this website).

• from what I gather it isn't mandatory to have registration details in websites, more of an option, site just gets more credibility. I've seen quite a no. of online stores, quite big ones with retail outlets w/o such information listed.

Nothing says with such information the co. won't go AWOL and especially with large corp., legal recourse will end up with you on the losing end

• BruceBruce Member

websites I can understand, but no company name on invoices? that surprises me.

there was a thread recently that mentioned it was law regarding divulging affiliate links. seems odd that at the same time it's OK to not say what company you're dealing with.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited May 2015

not too sure about co. names on invoices but a lot of corp. use dot com for web selling too. P&L, taxation, etc. can be separate entities, which is probably why they do not want invoices related to the corporate body.

It would of course be different if the co. was incorporated solely for online selling.

Edit: All depends on what is required of the website/online store wink ;)

• ATHKATHK Member

I was under the impression that all invoice must have the company information or parent company information for tax purposes on the users side at least..

Like you said, at least here in Aus.

I don't understand why it'll be any different in say the US.. All my invoices from American companies have the info on them.

• Most 'companies' you see are not companies but sole traders and fail to state their DBA information. Most don't pay taxes, most don't even have a business license.

• cociucociu Member

i am agree with @MarkTurner

• pcanpcan Member

@Bruce said: please let people know where the trademark is registered (especially if you provide services in EU)

Just open https://oami.europa.eu/ohimportal/en/databases and launch the eSearch plus or TMview database search. The link for the WIPO database search is on the TMview main form. The free database search does not shows freshly submitted (<1 month), not yet processed applications.

• Another metric of whether a company is 'real' is whether they have things like insurance. If anyone is running their own facility, colocating in any self-respecting facility then they'll require substantial insurance.

@Bruce - many, for example one on here who sprinkles a (r) liberally on everything, doesn't appear to have a registered trademark in North America or Europe. Normally these people do it to project a sense of security.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Bruce said: Is there any requirement for US companies to show info?

No. Why would there be?

Bruce said: As a customer, do you care? you should, in case the provider goes AWOL and you want to seek legal recourse.

Nope. I buy only from established, reputable hosts.

And seriously, what legal recourse are you going to seek? You payed $7 and you're going to take them to court? Even if you paid $100 or $200 for a year in advance, the cost of pursuing a case, getting a judgment, and then finding a way to enforce it vastly exceeds the money.

In all cases, you are buying on trust because the cost to recover the amount you pay is far higher than the amount you pay. If you don't trust the host, don't buy.

• BruceBruce Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Another metric of whether a company is 'real' is whether they have things like insurance.

I don't think you can tell who is paying insurance. there's no evidence or info on any website I've seen

• BruceBruce Member

@raindog308 said:
    If you don't trust the host, don't buy.

I agree, but you should still be entitled to know exactly who you are buying from. Is it a US registered company? Is it an Indian company? Is it a schoolkid, who can't make a legal contract?

Generally, I assume no company info = dodgy company

• @Bruce Generally, I assume no company info = dodgy company

That's of course your prerogative and everybody else's too but from experience, it's quite meaningless. I've had vpses with DCs that can't run properly and do not have decent support plus there are many threads here that say similar stuff.

I was quite like you when I initially started but discovered through experience it doesn't make a difference. A good and reliable provider isn't proven by co. registrations or claims on their sites, but more practically, one that provides what you paid for, a usable and available service.