Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hourly billed KVM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hourly billed KVM?

lorjclorjc Member
edited May 2015 in General

Hi!
Do you know of any hourly billed KVM hosting which doesn't charge for compute resources when the VM is powered off?

Possibly with custom ISO support and private network.

Vultr does it all but they keep charging me whether the VM is powered on or not, so it's a waste if I only use it for a few hours of lab a day.

Thanks!

Comments

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Try DigitalOcean, Runabove

• yomeroyomero Member

I recommend iwstack too. IIRC, they will bill you just for disk and the ip address when powered off.

Thanked by 2Infinity mpkossen
  • getvpsgetvps Member

99,99% of providers charge turned off machine. But you can use free snapshots @VULTR, beacouse they not charge (now) snapshots.

• Lunanode

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

They billed you for keeping the IP and the disk space. So even though you powered off your machine, the system still needs to keep the IP and the disk space allocated to you.

• J1021J1021 Member

Both DigitalOcean and Vultr currently offer snapshots free of charge.

• When the machine is off you are still using taking resources. I don't think you can really find one that wouldn't charge for a tuned off KVM. As already said, with snapshots both at Vultr and DO, you can easily restart from scratch.

• lorjclorjc Member

Sure, it's not a problem paying for storage and IP when the instance is turned off. I'll check out iwstack and Lunanode. Thanks

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

dedify.com. we got you covered :-)

• bersybersy Member
    edited May 2015

Quadranet cloud

https://www.atlantic.net/ but stopping isn't enough, you have to delete you server

• @Issam2204 said:
    When the machine is off you are still using taking resources. I don't think you can really find one that wouldn't charge for a tuned off KVM. As already said, with snapshots both at Vultr and DO, you can easily restart from scratch.

iwStack, LunaNode, and Dedify only charge you for disk space and IP when a machine is powered off. EC2 does this as well, thigh you'd need to set up a floating IP.

Snapshots are different from a powered down machine.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Really? Nice to know, thanks :)

• lorjclorjc Member
    edited May 2015

I'm tyring out iwstack with 30 EUR of credit for which you pay 36.60 since you have to add VAT of course, as stated on the website. That's the minimum "entrance fee" but after that you can top up your account in 10 EUR increments or more.

I've deployed a pfSense instance acting as router/firewall/OpenVPN in front of my VMs that I've deployed on a private network. This way I can have my "on-demand" lab machines all on the same broadcast domain and accessible from any SSL VPN capable device (my laptop :-) by connecting to their private IPs.

You can use a custom ISO and when the instances are powered off the cost is very little (storage and public IPs).

My main use of this setup is to simulate production environments for my clients (I'm a system administrator). Costs for using an instance a few hours a day for 4-5 days a week are nothing compared to maintaining a bunch of dedicated servers that would sit there doing nothing most of the time - at least from my initial calculation. Plus, unlike a dedicated, you should get real HA and live migration without having to deploy your own expensive private network (e.g. my own HA with VMware vMotion/DRS in a virtual rack was well above 200 eur / mo for two 32GB nodes).

Had a technical query and they answered within minutes.

Pleased so far, we'll see in a few months. Still have to try out most of the features of course, but these are my day 1 thoughts.

Feel free to ask me any question/screenshot about the service, if it doesn't cost much I can try it out for you :p

Thank you all for the suggestions.

• Quite like IWstack myself, just check the billing every once in a while if you're constantly starting/stopping/deleting vms as it's occasionally possible for one of the deleted VM's to get stuck and then you still get billed for it.

I had a case where a machine/virtual network didn't delete cleanly and it was still being billed, however once I'd raised it with them they put it right and credited back any incorrect charges.

• Honestly, iwStack is simply amazing. I understand dedify uses the same software, but it doesn't come with the awesome Prometeus care and support.