Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Geolocation for cheapskates like me - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Geolocation for cheapskates like me

2»

Comments

• sleddogsleddog Member

TinyTunnel_Tom said: For three.xxx.com just set it to goto a diff server. Remember to have ultra low TTLs 60 is about it.

That's what I'm doing now. Minimal TTL with Cloudflare is 120.

• @sleddog said:
    That's what I'm doing now. Minimal TTL with Cloudflare is 120.

Then use something different you need low about the same as your doing checks. If you checking every minute then ttl needs to be 60

• sleddogsleddog Member

nitro85 said: I've never been much concerned about latency, this world isn't that big so would have a need to think about that, for me about HA and distribution of load

I appreciate you're comments @nitro.

I should make it clear that this whole thing is an experiment. I'm simply exploring what's possible on a showstring budget.

I think latency does make a difference, at least on a large scale. Sending a European visitor to Texas makes a different browsing experience than if he/she was served from a European location. That's my first priority -- optimizing the visitor browsing experience by serving them from the closest mirror.

HA is of course important. But it's a different thing than geolocation. I've got HA now I think, but at the expense of geolocation when a mirror goes down. That's unavoidable, unless I deploy more than one server in each region.

For example if I have a VPS in France and other in US West cost and 90% of my traffic is from Japan, my French VPS will barely doing anything

Well, in that case I would move the US West Coast service to Japan and scale it up as necessary to handle the traffic, and scale down the France server.

and many times distance does not equal to latency

That a good point, and is part of the reason I started doing geolocation by continent, as it's somewhat easier to map out traffic routes.

Thanked by 1nitro85
  • sleddogsleddog Member

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Then use something different you need low about the same as your doing checks. If you checking every minute then ttl needs to be 60

Yes I know. But at the moment all of this is kind of "proof of concept", so the difference between 120 and 60 is irrelevant I think. Not to mention that ISP caching nameservers may well ignore anything below 3600-7200 entirely :)

• @sleddog said:
    Yes I know. But at the moment all of this is kind of "proof of concept", so the difference between 120 and 60 is irrelevant I think. Not to mention that ISP caching nameservers may well ignore anything below 3600-7200 entirely :)

Thats why I force my NS to 8.8.8.8 will have a lok into this tuesday night+ have exam 1PM tues

• sleddogsleddog Member

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Thats why I force my NS to 8.8.8.8

But we can't do that for eveyone in the world :)

• yomeroyomero Member

sleddog said: I though Rage4 entry level was €1 per month?

Well, there is the PAYG plan, "€1 per million requests plus €1 per zone monthly with free usage tier of 250 000 requests per month per domain".

Then, it's free up to 250K, which I think is small (depending on your TTLs and traffic).

• @sleddog said:
    But we can't do that for eveyone in the world :)

Yep. Its true. We just need to force the world into 8.8.8.8

• sleddogsleddog Member

yomero said: Well, there is the PAYG plan, "€1 per million requests plus €1 per zone monthly with free usage tier of 250 000 requests per month per domain".

That's what I mean. It's minimal €1 -- for the zone with 250 000 requests per month. That nearly doubles my budget. I can have three or four more mirrors for that kind of money :)

• sleddogsleddog Member

Nearly there I think. I just did ...

[root@nc:~] service nginx stop
    Stopping nginx: nginx.

So the US East mirror (nc.kate-cms.com, North Carolina) is offiline.

Monitoring script picked it and: removed its A record for kate-cms.com; changed the A record for nc.kate-cms.com to another available mirror (NL).

If you're in the East US and browse to kate-cms.com you're taken to NL as the failover.

If you try to browse directly to nc.kate-cms.com from anywhere you land at NL.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • yomeroyomero Member

sleddog said: That's what I mean

Then they should have changed the schema, because I have a free account o_O

• @sleddog said:
    Nearly there I think. I just did ...

[root@nc:~] service nginx stop
    > Stopping nginx: nginx.

So the US East mirror (nc.kate-cms.com, North Carolina) is offiline.

Monitoring script picked it and: removed its A record for kate-cms.com; changed the A record for nc.kate-cms.com to another available mirror (NL).

If you're in the East US and browse to kate-cms.com you're taken to NL as the failover.

If you try to browse directly to nc.kate-cms.com from anywhere you land at NL.

Hmmm. I think case I think there could be better alts than NL?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2015

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Hmmm. I think case I think there could be better alts than NL?

Depends where you are. For me, NL is just ~ 10 ms slower than North Carolina :)

The logic for assigning a fallback needs to be refined, absolutely. And how it's done will depend on the alternates available.

But for now, the important things (for me) is that a fallback is successfuly assigned, and it works for browsing.

BTW, I'd be interested to hear from anyone regarding the little geolocation test at:

http://kate-cms.com/geolocation-test/

(Is info display, or do you get failed message?)

• usr123usr123 Member
    edited May 2015

Looks correct -

Don't want to share my location, but the lat-long is just a few blocks off.

Distances from you to our site mirrors:

Europe (Amsterdam, NL) : 6671 km 4145 miles

Japan (Heiwajima) : 11119 km 6909 miles

US East (Asheville, NC) : 222 km 138 miles

US West (Phoenix, AZ) : 2890 km 1796 miles

Nearest mirror: US East (Asheville, NC)

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

When you're setting your TTL for DNS so low remember it will do a dns lookup each time as well, you're just slowing down things more this way I think...

• sleddogsleddog Member

vfuse said: When you're setting your TTL for DNS so low remember it will do a dns lookup each time as well, you're just slowing down things more this way I think...

Good point. It's a balancing act. Maybe as long as TTL is larger than the average visitor time on site the impact would be minimal...

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

But if the TTL is larger than the average visitor time and the visitors current node breaks it's no use for that current visitor. Unless you expect every visitor to keep refreshing untill the TTL expires.

• @vfuse said:
    But if the TTL is larger than the average visitor time and the visitors current node breaks it's no use for that current visitor. Unless you expect every visitor to keep refreshing untill the TTL expires.

Well. Depends. AS anycast dns increases speed. Plus its only a few kb

• sleddogsleddog Member

That's why I said it's a balancing act.... I think there's too many variables to be 100% certain: there's the browser's cache (different from browser to browser), the OS cache (also different) and the ISP's cache. I don't see it possible to build anything that's 100% predictable with DNS.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2015

There's a nice statistical probability exercise there for someone... Given X visitors per day, an average visitor duration of Y minutes, a TTL of 2 minutes and a server uptime average of 99%, what is the probability of a visitor getting a 'server unavailable' message? :)

• gslbmegslbme Member

Hello,

With reference to http://www.gslb.me we provide geolocation and HA/failover at the same time. Let us know at [email protected] if you need help setting up complex DNS resolution rules.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2015

gslbme said: With reference to http://www.gslb.me we provide geolocation and HA/failover at the same time. Let us know at [email protected] if you need help setting up complex DNS resolution rules.

Welcome to LET :)

If I understand your website correctly, you'll do geolocation/failover for one domain with two targets (mirrors) for free, right?

• sleddogsleddog Member

Part II -- monitoring & Cloudflare DNS changes.

http://kate-cms.com/geolocation-with-php-part-ii/

• @sleddog your solution makes browsing your website blazing fast even from the arse of the world ( Argentina)!

• sleddogsleddog Member

@inthecloudblog said:
    sleddog your solution makes browsing your website blazing fast even from the arse of the world ( Argentina)!

Ha :) Which mirror did you get?

• gslbmegslbme Member

@sleddog said:
    If I understand your website correctly, you'll do geolocation/failover for one domain with two targets (mirrors) for free, right?

Hello,

That's correct: our free plan includes several other things such as customizable health checks, a set of different geo-routing algorithms and DNS firewall capabilities.
    We are in the process of releasing an analytics set of features for full reporting on DNS traffic/resolution to keep track of who is resolving your FQDNs

• edited May 2015

@sleddog said:

Us east I believe :)

Edit: you are doug from Canada who had a camera that showed snowy weather?

• sleddogsleddog Member

inthecloudblog said: you are doug from Canada who had a camera that showed snowy weather?

Yup, even in May, though it's mostly gone now :)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog