Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to scale a download server ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to scale a download server ?

2»

Comments

• RolterRolter Member
    edited May 2015

it is proxy_cache (for caching files from my central server) , which is a disk based cache AFAIK and not in Memory cache..

This is how the data actually flows

Central server with 12x4TB HDD's -> Data is cached by proxy_cache in a production server (which is limited to 3TB via nginx config file) -> Files Served via HTTP GET request.

• blackblack Member

The setup is a bit weird to me. On a cache miss, the production server has to ask the main server for the content the pass it to the client. That's disk IO operation on 2 servers, not to mention the client has to wait for your production server to pull data from your central server. What kind of caching are you doing on your production server?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • RolterRolter Member
    edited May 2015

@black -- it is not a weird setup , its a very common setup ...The way i am using nginx proxy_cache is one of the main uses of nginx .

Nginx proxy_cache streams and caches the remote content live in real time without any weight, so their is no waiting time for the end user , in fact end user has no idea where the actual content is hosted at ..

To everyone who has helped me through this , it turns out it was a silly mistake , that 200MB mysql DB had one table with around 2M rows (with tiny hashes) , that was updated with every page request and since every page had to make a mysql call to that table alteast one , due to row lock the table just was not ready for a read resulting in very slow page loads and ultimately timeout ...

Disk I/O was not the cluprit and this is how i ended with another SSD server with no