Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud localisations in Europe you're looking for ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud localisations in Europe you're looking for ?

2»

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Portugal. Please. :P

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Thanks for your answers !

I am a bit curious why do you prefer one country and not the others ?

Is it because you want the datas to be near you ? is it a BW reason ? Money ? etc ....

• ehabehab Member

i like things i like to be near me

• edited May 2015

@Ikoula said:
    Thanks for your answers !

I am a bit curious why do you prefer one country and not the others ?

Is it because you want the datas to be near you ? is it a BW reason ? Money ? etc ....

I can't speak for others, but for me the reason I would enjoy an iceland location is the emphasis they place on freedom of speech and online privacy.
    Here's a statistic: http://www.statista.com/chart/1531/freedom-house-index-of-internet-freedom/

Thanked by 1asf

Hello,

@ehab thanks !

@funyuns_are_awesome thank you for the explanations

• TrafficTraffic Member

@Ikoula with Iceland you'll get a lot of clients wanting online privacy, data protection and freedom of speech.

I'd get a VPS with you in Iceland just because it's there :)

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Make a poll so I can vote bro

• TrafficTraffic Member

@comXyz said:
    Make a poll so I can vote bro

+1

@Traffic thanks it seems you and funyuns think the same way.

• @jvnadr said:
    Greece. There is no a cheap reliable vps/dedi provider, although the country is in EU zone with cheap power/costs/salaries

lancom.gr

Otherwise Lamdahelix or Interworkx if you can afford them.

It seems it is not possible anymore i get an error message trying to.

I should have made a list but i did not know which country to include at the begining. When we will hesitate between some countries i might call for a vote.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited May 2015

@Ikoula said:
    Traffic thanks it seems you and funyuns think the same way.

Those are the "real" reasons - the same for everyone. Then you have the geek reasons: when someone is doing a research on my sites, the fact that they're hosted at Iceland looks cool :)

http://x.is/ has reasonable prices. Anyone knows better providers?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

TH_George said: lancom.gr Otherwise Lamdahelix or Interworkx if you can afford them.

I had a vps with lancom something like a year ago, for a couple of months, but I didn't see any significent improve in performance from many of the reputable providers of LEB. Ping from most of ISP's other than OTE, was similar or bigger than those from Ramnode and Prometeus/Milano. As of speed, I managed to have over 700Mbps upload from an on-line.net server (FR) using speedtest.net (GR-net server) when the greek vps from lancom.gr could not ever reach over 40-45Mbps from the same GR-net server...
    As of the cost, if I recall well, it was ~12.5€ for 1GB Ram, 10GB HHD 1vcpu (not over 1600MHz)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

Ikoula said: Is it because you want the datas to be near you ? is it a BW reason ? Money ? etc ....

IP range in my country. And of course, money

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2015

@jvnadr blame OTE's peering policy for this, I.e. they don't want to peer. So it is quite possible that the route from OTE to some other Greek ISP goes through Frankfurt.

Thanked by 2jvnadr deadbeef
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

rds100 said: blame OTE's peering policy for this, I.e. they don't want to peer. So it is quite possible that the route from OTE to some other Greek ISP goes through Frankfurt.

Excactly. That's the reason. OTE is the leading ISP and telecommunication company in Greece and a big one in some other countries in the Balkans. They used to be controlled by the state (with the majority of the holdings), but some years ago the previous government sold almost all of the stocks and now is owned and controlled by Deutsche Telekom.
    OTE is controlling the existing landline physical network and struggling the other tel. companies and the ISPs. So, peering from his network is pretty expensive, and the other ISPs prefer to peer a part even of the domestic traffic thru Germany or other countries.
    Of course, there is GR-IX, an Internet Exchange Point that all of the companies are members of, but I have seen in a lot of traceroutes that actually I reach greek ip's often using other countries routes!..

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited May 2015

UK and Portugal have great submarine connectivity with africa and overall

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Andorra!!!

Hello

I am watching over the discussion so thank you again for your answers.
    I'd like to have more replies so feel free to give me your ideas even if it has already been said.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited May 2015

@jvnadr said:
    As of average salary, is no more than 500-600 euro.

According to IKA, average salary in 2013 (excluding the financial sector!) was 1,265.08 Euros.

According to Eurostat, for 2014, the average net earnings for a single person without kids was 15.145 Euros. Same metric for Bulgaria was < 4.000

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • ben78ben78 Member

Iceland sounds fun but if it's a french company I doubt it's as insteresting as an icelandic (or swiss or another privacy conscious country) company privacy wise

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

deadbeef said: According to IKA, average salary in 2013 (excluding the financial sector!) was 1,265.08 Euros.

Wow! I would ask IKA to suggest me an average company that offers an average salary of 1,265 euros per month to apply for work!

Thanked by 1deadbeef