Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using multiple OpenVPN connections - a question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using multiple OpenVPN connections - a question

Issam2204Issam2204 Member
edited May 2015 in General

Hello!

Makes sense to use multiple OpenVPN connections on the same client? If yes what are the advantages of doing so?

I have a Linux laptop and some idling VPS around the world. Would it increase my privacy if I would try to connect to multiple OpenVPN servers? At the end which IP would I have?

Thanks ;-)

Comments

• lolwut?

• Sorry for the noob question :)

So you say it's not possible?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Just for banter, I tried to connect to loads of VPN's at once, my IP stayed at that of the first VPN I connected to.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Ok so you can and the IP stays with the first one. But why would someone do it?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

It's also completely fucked up Tunnelblick.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Issam2204 said: Ok so you can and the IP stays with the first one. But why would someone do it?

For banter.

From memory, you can 'chain' OpenVPN servers together, but you wouldn't connect to them all at once.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Thank you Nekki :)

• zxbzxb Member

YOU choose what IP you would have. YOU control where your traffic goes.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • MuZoMuZo Member

Well I think you need to have more tun/tap interfaces to be able to connect to multiple OpenVPN server otherwise you probably get disconnect from the previous one by using the same interface.

One use you could do with is to route different paths using different servers by configuring the routing table on your OS.

For example you could say that the network 192.168.5.0/24 should be routed trough the VPN#1, the IP X.X.X.X/32 through the VPN#2 and all the rest of the traffic (0.0.0.0) trough VPN#3.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • NomadNomad Member
    edited May 2015

With every layer your connection will get slower, you won't be happy with the results when you're even only browsing.

But can be done.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

speedify uses this as part of their client.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I managed to get my ping up to about 750ms before Tunnelblick exploded.