Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TurnKey Linux Templates
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TurnKey Linux Templates

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited October 2012 in General

http://turnkeylinux.org provides a shitload of preconfigured linux VM's, either in OVF, ISO, VMDK, OpenVZ, Openstack and Xen format.

Recently the templates have been updated and they've added a lot of new templates. From basic LAMP,LNMP,LLMP stacks to complete Gitlab, Active Directory Domain Controllers, Jenkins CI and torrent servers.

Might be a good idea for VPS hosts to look in to adding these to their template libraries?

I deploy these things quite a lot and they really work good. I however almost always remove and disable webmin and phpmyadmin or any other web based file manager if not needed...

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

prometeus has some. Not sure about how many ppl use them.
    M

• BuyVM has tons of Turnkey templates from memory.

• BuyVM has about 100 Turnkey templates for OpenVZ

Really good resource site though!

Anyone uses them ? Made a tutorial for a WP site based on one of those.
    M

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Didn't realize they had been updating them recently. Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be adding some. Not terribly difficult to make your own but hey...time saver.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited October 2012

Never been a big fan of the TurnKey templates, they have a bunch of crap you don't usually need. If you have the memory to spare, I guess they're convenient but I like to optimize my VM's based on the task I want them to do. Most of my VM's are using less then 64MB of ram at any given time.

I know a couple of my providers offer at least the most popular ones like Wordpress.

• I also prefer to install and configure my stuff myself, but for some users the lazy way might be the preferred way of doing things.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2012

@nunim said: Most of my VM's are using less then 64MB of ram at any given time.

Depends on the purpose I guess. I notice they added an ownCloud one. Resource hog no matter how you spin it, but pretty cool script either way.

@rds100 said: I also prefer to install and configure my stuff myself, but for some users the lazy way might be the preferred way of doing things.

Also good for people who want a VPS as an upgrade to shared hosting but have no desire to learn how to do those things. These people seem more common than I thought.

@jarland said: These people seem more common than I thought.

Yes :)
    There are many appliances that can be quickly deployed and a pain to setup in low mem environment by ppl which are not like us, writing mahabharata on a grain of rice.
    M