Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

File sharing - suggestions for FTP alternative ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

File sharing - suggestions for FTP alternative ?

BruceBruce Member
edited May 2015 in General

I'm looking to replace a paid-for FTP service. Dropbox is OK, but I want something that can be used centrally instead of every person with their own dropbox account

• needs to be open source (for self hosting)
  • needs to have web access/frontend
  • user login
  • private or public file sharing

Googling "Self Hosted Dropbox Alternative" I found a few possible solutions. Not tried any, so would appreciate feedback on your own experiences and choices.

File sharing suggestions
  1. Which would you recommend58 votes
    1. FTPbox
        0.00%
    2. Seafile
      15.52%
    3. ownCloud
      65.52%
    4. AeroFS
        1.72%
    5. Pydio
        8.62%
    6. SparkleShare
        0.00%
    7. Other
        8.62%

Comments

• pcanpcan Member

Novell Filr may be useful if you already have a user directory and permission defined, but it is not free.

Thanked by 1Bruce
  • BruceBruce Member

so it's a choice betweek ownCloud and Seafile. thanks for all the votes

how to choose which one? both seem good. maybe need to spin up both

• OwnCloud/Seafiles both support S3 storage so if you host this at Delimiter then get some S3 storage from them. You can use it to offload traffic from the server as well as the obvious storage headache.

Thanked by 1Bruce
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I set up nginx with htpasswd. Friends send me bigger files over torrents that get stored to nginx web folder so that others can download them too.

Thanked by 2Bruce chrisp
  • BruceBruce Member

@4n0nx said:
    I set up nginx with htpasswd. Friends send me bigger files over torrents that get stored to nginx web folder so that others can download them too.

thanks. I thought about a roll-your-own solution, but I prefer something with a better interface for those not capable.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

If you need other "cloud" features like a calendar or such, ownCloud should do the job. When it's just about file sharing, and it seems that's the case, I'd take Seafile.

Much more stable, got a nice client with optional client-side encryption, slick web UI and other stuff. I never really liked ownCloud, it doesn't really seem polished IMHO.

• My personal choice is OwnCloud. Because they have some quality applications for desktop devices and mobile devices.

Also there are plenty of extensions for OwnCloud

Thanked by 1Bruce
  • I think ftpd would be best scenario still. It would be the most secure for sure. I really like glftpd for my secured ftp servers. Then I can easily manage multiple users and groups. What they see and what ip ranges and password strengths they use. Also each group can have their own admin and private folders etc etc. there's a lot of great scripts with it as well.

If you must have a web based access I would recommend owncloud and you can add a folder via external storage or locally.

• FiddeFidde Member

I really like ownCloud. I love that there are apps for mobile and the desktop :)

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited October 2015

I prefer to use Pydio as it has the best UI for me, simple and easy to use.

• @sdglhm said:
    My personal choice is OwnCloud. Because they have some quality applications for desktop devices and mobile devices.

Also there are plenty of extensions for OwnCloud

The desktop app is fine, but the iOS app is unusable buggy (and its not free).

• rokok said: The desktop app is fine, but the iOS app is unusable buggy (and its not free).

Haven't used it. :\

• rokokrokok Member
    edited October 2015

Ya just a quick reminder that the ownCloud $.99 iOS app is suck balls if you expecting like dropbox or google drive features ;)

But their web and desktop app is OK-ish.

• owncloud/seafile/cozy.io are all excellent, owncloud can accept s3 aand swift out of the zip,hubic can be added via an app. cozy has an rdp app that using google chrome lets you use encarta and frontpage98 without any problemo. btsync or sycnthing for anything over 100mb

• raptorpeanutbuttr said: owncloud/seafile/cozy.io are all excellent, owncloud can accept s3 aand swift out of the zip,hubic can be added via an app. cozy has an rdp app that using google chrome lets you use encarta and frontpage98 without any problemo. btsync or sycnthing for anything over 100mb

Hey, cozy is pretty promising. Can I use it to replace Dropbox / owncloud?