Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you do if you had more than 100 IPV6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you do if you had more than 100 IPV6?

debianLoverdebianLover Member
edited October 2012 in General

If you had a lots of IPv6 (say 110) what would you do with them?

Comments

• @lian WOW That's is a lot. So how do you utilize them ?

• @debianLover said: WOW That's is a lot. So how do you utilize them ?

Hopefully waste them so there's a shortage in a decade or so?

• @liam said: 500 thousand

You missed million or billion? Not even a /64?

• Good question. Apparently no one knows a good use for them, else they wouldn't be giving them away like this.

Thanked by 2klikli Ishaq
  • I've seen a lot of people use IPv6 to evade types of IRC/website bans.

• IRC, Hosting, SSL...

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
    edited October 2012

Not sure why but I have a metric ton of IPv6 addresses, I think providers give far too many out (more then I'll ever need anyway!)

I have around 3626851245820182362324994 IPv6 addresses and use one or two per host :P

• Oh, I don't know.

A flash or java app that downloads an uncompressed image.... each IP serves the information for one pixel... so your connecting to an individual IPv6 address (out of the few quintillion in your /64) to retrieve the data for each pixel?

Note: It's me browsing LowEndTalk at 3AM again.

• genious. pitch your idea to flickr as a scalable load balancing solution, and make millions!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2012

Why have 100 addresses? It's indeed a dumb idea, no one needs that many.

Why have a /64 or more (18 billion addresses)? It's obvious, to use SLAAC on your IPv6 VPN.

Hosts which give out only individual IPv6 addresses and not subnets are lazy and don't understand IPv6. (and/or use "wah wah solus doesn't support" as their cop-out).

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have a /64 at home I am not using much.
    I planned to use to get rid of NATs when I was in control of both ends and both supported IPv6 but no luck yet.
    M

• @SimpleNode said: A flash or java app that downloads an uncompressed image.... each IP serves the information for one pixel... so your connecting to an individual IPv6 address (out of the few quintillion in your /64) to retrieve the data for each pixel?

Quick, patent this! I like the idea, very creative!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Zen said: In a matter of seconds, you can turn a fully functioning Windows machine into a brick

This is just the beginning. It is going to get nastier each step in the IPv6 implementation we take. I am sure *nix-es will be affected too by some of the problems, but probably Windows and others like android ios and the like will bear the brunt.
    M

• I have like 65000 IPv6s with each of my Edis KVMs (I have 3), but I'm yet to configure them since I don't see any use for IPv6s except for backup between servers, which you can do easily with IPv4 easily anyway.......

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2012

@rm_ said: Why have 100 addresses? It's indeed a dumb idea, no one needs that many.

Why have a /64 or more (18 billion addresses)? It's obvious, to use SLAAC on your IPv6 VPN.

Hosts which give out only individual IPv6 addresses and not subnets are lazy and don't understand IPv6. (and/or use "wah wah solus doesn't support" as their cop-out).

This!

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • A new type of encryption / secure data transfer;
    Sending end and receiving end both have a few quintillion addresses.

Some kind of key file is sent, that can be used to find out which specific parts of the file are to use which specific sending / receiving IP, and then the file is sent, changing IPs every 100ms or something according to said key, therefore making the data harder to intercept?

• I don't even know why we have a /64. I mean, are we EVER going to run out of IPv6, even if everybody is handing them out like candy?

• I have 184467440737095516160 ipv6, I have no idea what im going to do with them.

That is equal to:
    184 quintillion, 467 quadrillion, 440 trillion, 737 billion, 95 million, 516 thousand and 160 ipv6

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2012

@Spencer said: I have 184467440737095516160 ipv6, I have no idea what im going to do with them.

A little bit of guessing? :) Through time you will stop to look at IPv6 from old IPv4 perspective. There, at LET/LEB are amazingly only few people, including @rm_ (you can see his post above) who already understands that. Most of the time you will do nothing with those individual "addresses" as such as you will see and use them as subnets anyway.

• Just some naughty idea :

• Creating website for selling vps and scam people. lol. Imagine how many website we have with that /64
    Thanked by 2TheHackBox klikli
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Creating website for selling vps and scam people. lol. Imagine how many website we have with that /64

"Internet" consider and potentially ban/block whole /64 as ONE user. All rest is a problem of hosts too lazy to give to client proper subnets.
    Giving out individual /128 from same /64 IPv6 subnet to few clients from abuse view of whole /64 subnet isn't much different than giving out same individual IPv4 address to few clients.

• @Spirit said: A little bit of guessing? :) Through time you will stop to look at IPv6 from old IPv4 perspective. There, at LET/LEB are amazingly only few people, including @rm_ (you can see his post above) who already understands that. Most of the time you will do nothing with those individual "addresses" as such as you will see and use them as subnets anyway.

Nope that is exactly how many I have, I have a /64 per server. A /64 in ipv6 is 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 ipv6

And I have 10 servers. So there is the math :p

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2012

@Spencer said: that is exactly how many I have

I thought that you may have some clients which got some IPv6 from your subnets too... :P

edited October 2012

Every home user is going to have a /64. Why? So that SLAAC works in their network.
    What is SLAAC? It's like DHCP, but much simpler, just plug in a computer and it gets an address. Every v6-capable OS supports it, and you do not need a client (unlike with DHCPv6, which also exists).

Is assigning a /64 "wasteful"?

If every user gets a /64, there's enough IPv6 space for:

4 billion (4 294 967 296) ISPs in the world
    with
    4 billion (4 294 967 296) users on EACH of those ISPs

You would say "back then people thought IPv4 is more than enough too", but that wouldn't be true, IPv4 has only 4 billion addresses in total, and even back when it was invented afaik the human population was already more than 4 billion.

Now, a /64 is the bare minimum allocation, with it the user can only use one single LAN. If they want to use LAN and WiFi separately (or to create a separate WiFi SSID for guests, with access only to the Internet) they will need more than one. For that reason good ISPs would assign a /60, or a /56 to people. Some do /48s but yes, that's already arguably too much, and is going out of fashion lately.

Thanked by 1Spirit
    edited October 2012

How all that relates to VPSes?
    Simple, because every home user has a /64, every spam filter is going to assume:

"a spammer = a /64"

and will ban accordingly. And this is bad news for all those providers which were hoping to get away with giving "1 x IPv6" or "15 x IPv6" or some silly bullshit like that :D
    One spamming user, and their whole customer base is marked as spammers in RBLs etc, because they all are in the same /64 and are assumed by the world to be the same person.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • I am yet to receive any spam delivered over ipv6. Yes, my MX-es have ipv6 connectivity.

Thanked by 1klikli

Well, it's only a matter of time. As you can see all kinds of software can be slow in v6 adoption, as soon as all major MXes have v6 (yes, most don't at the moment), the botnet trojans used for spamming will not only gain support for sending over v6, but also support to add and randomize new IPs within the assigned network.
    That said I think I did receive a couple of spam mails over v6, and heard in freenode's #ipv6 that some people did too. Of course for now these are single and "unique" events, but only for now.

@rds100 said: Yes, my MX-es have ipv6 connectivity.

And also no they don't.

$ nc6 -vvv6 mx1.telecoms.bg 25
    nc6: cannot connect to 2a02:7900:f17:c::757:cf0b (2a02:7900:f17:c::757:cf0b) 25 [smtp]: Connection refused
    nc6: unable to connect to address mx1.telecoms.bg, service 25

$ nc6 -vvv6 mx2.telecoms.bg 25
    nc6: forward host lookup failed for remote endpoint mx2.telecoms.bg: Name or service not known

$ nc6 -vvv6 control.fitvps.com 25
    nc6: forward host lookup failed for remote endpoint control.fitvps.com: Name or service not known
    Thanked by 2klikli rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2012

@rm_ my bad! I just made the MX1 to listen to ipv6 too (seems it was stupid of me to think that it would do it by default).

Now waiting for the spam :)