Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A VPS without IPv4, is it possible?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A VPS without IPv4, is it possible?

DotMGDotMG Member
edited October 2012 in General

Hi all, I sometimes find that I don't really need a dedicated IPv4 for some of my boxes. If I just want a VPS as a backup server, IPv6 will be sufficient to access my box. I would only need my IPv4 in case my main server crashes, and I'll use the backup as a replacement (which had never happened). Or if my VPS will be accessed from a proxy, the connection from my proxy to the VPS could be using IPv6 only. I just collect these IPv4 in case I have clients using SSL, which never happens to me.

So, providers, do you think offering VPS with IPv6 only could lower a little more your price on these tiny VPS (128M RAM), what really is the cost of one IPv4, and could it raise? Customers, do you think such offer would be worth it?

Comments

• Well, we did offer an ipv6-only VPS sometime ago, mostly as a proof of concept. Technicly it works, no problem. The problem is with all the users who buy it "because it's cheap" and then complain "the internet is not working". So if you decide to offer an ipv6-only VPS - be prepared for this :)

Thanked by 3rm_ Amfy TheHackBox
  • Considering that a hell lot of people don't have IPv6 (Pretty much all of AT&T's customers), a IPv6 box is kind of useless. Unless you do testing on it, and somehow have IPv6.

• @juan, that'd be a good offer with a more decent HDD, and FreeBSD scares me a bit as I've never tried before.

• @lele0108 @rds100, no that offer would be for geek only :), someone knowing without a help for example how to ssh over IPv4 ...

• That's the only provider i know with ipv6 only. :/ I have used them for IRC only though, uptime is good.

• vds6 is so unique

• i was offering NATed private IP, but not very popular.. even for freebies.. :P

• I remember when I've actually provided IPv6 to customers... other than myself not a single one actually utilized it. And I even had/have native IPv6 support, just that for most end users the capability just isn't there yet for the client side traffic.

Seems far more useful from a technical standpoint and as a result if you did something like IPv6-only VPSes you'd have to sell it in such a way so that only technical people would apply for it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It is kinda going without saying that most ppl buying VPS without management should be "somewhat" technical.
    Other than that, I am a newbie myself in IPv6 and before I can get it at work will probably still be like that.
    I am yet to make a virtualization server with IPv6...
    It is funny how everyone complains that IPv4 is running out that will be costly etc when IPv6 is practically free and abundant but nobody switches because AT&T didnt do it yet...
    M

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2012

I still use this one: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/valueserver-free-256mb-openvz-vps-with-ipv6-only-connectivity/
    Almost 2 years and I can count downtimes on one hand's fingers. At one point it had 400+ days uptime. Looks like boxes with v6-only VPSes do not attract abuse/ddos which cause instability. :)

I saw that at the time, but 100 gb traffic was below my treshold even for a free vps and at that time didnt have IPv6 anywhere.
    They are out of stock now, otherwise would have been starting to become useful :)
    M

• I have an active interest in VPSs with IPv6 support. My experience in recent months with several VPS vendors is that the procedures are not yet in place to offer IPv6 networking with the reliability we've come to expect with IPv4.

Sometimes you have to open a ticket to get an allocation, or a set of specific addresses. Whether or not the addresses are provided on request or automatically with the IPv4 address, you generally have to set up the networking yourself.

And the information is rarely complete. I usually have to explicitly ask: what IPv6 gateway address should I use? Some vendors want you to specify a specific gateway address in the Linux config, others just to specify the primary network interface as the gateway device.

Some vendors want IPv6 AutoConf explicitly disabled, others don't care. With some you specify the IPv6 address via 'IPV6ADDR=', others want you to use 'IPV6ADDR_SECONDARIES=', even for a single address.

(Note that all my IPv6 VPSs are running CentOS v6.3, so the differing configurations are not a result of different OSs. For further background, I am not looking for large allocations, just a few address with which to access my VPSs.)

Sometimes I have to do a IPv6 ping at boot time to make the addresses accessible from outside the VPS. The interfaces and addresses and routing appear to be set up correctly but an ARP is needed to actually access the VPS via one of the IPv6 addresses. Oh, and you might have to do a periodic ping from the VPS if the IPv6 has been unused for an extended period. Again, ARP issues.

Sometimes an OpenVZ host does not have the correct kernel modules loaded such the user can do IPv6 iptables within the VPS. The hosts are configured with IPv4 iptables support as a matter of course (though I've seen exceptions - jeez!) but IPv6 support is not yet SOP.

One of my vendors, VPS Node Box, offers IPv6 address explicitly (see http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/vpsnodebox-7-00month-1gb-kvm-vps-in-phoenix-az/) however their own upstream provider does not yet support that service. So they provided tunneled IPv6 access after a round of support-ticket discussion. I was happy with the support I got from them in setting up the tunnels, via Hurricane Electric, so I'm not complaining. Just pointing out, again, that commercial IPv6 support is not the plug-and-play we've come to expect from IPv4.

A IPv6-only box? I've not sure if that's a good idea. How would I have been able to diagnose all the IPv6 issues I've had without an IPv4 address with which to get into the system? Maybe an IPv6 -only vendor would have rock-solid support since there would be no IPv4 address to fall back on. Still, I'd be leery of it.

Thanked by 1rm_

there is always the console to get into your vps, but I agree with the other issues.
    Providers dont offer because it is new and hard to setup, breaks etc. app vendors (solus/whmcs etc, are not integrting it fully since it is not a big demand, users stay away because it is not supported yet.
    Hopefully the price of IPv4 will make ppl learn/implement ipv6 soon :P
    M

• I'd like to start seeing ipv6 only services as well, especially the tiny ones. It might be kinda fun to see what you can do with a 32mb ipv6 only KVM. I bet I could fit a couple websites on one, since the lack of ipv4 guarantees low traffic :D

• @Garrett said: I'd like to start seeing ipv6 only services as well, especially the tiny ones. It might be kinda fun to see what you can do with a 32mb ipv6 only KVM.

We had that a while back here. However, most of the offers seem to have gone. But there's still LusoVPS and VDS6.net.

• Too much RAM

• @Garrett said: Too much RAM

The crucial point was afaik, that it didn't pay off for the providers to provide a fraction of the standard ram normal VPSes have as the savings in price wouldn't be that much.

I hope IPv4 prices will go up so we see this kind of offers more often with 64-128 ram or lower for VPNs.
    I wonder if the GFW is equipped with the same level of filtering for IPv6 as it has for IPv4. Iran is not worth mentioning, they will close internet anyway so only satellite will be possible soon.
    M

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Garrett said: guarantees low traffic :D

get @Hostbluff , guaranteed NO TRAFFIC OR YOUR I.O.U. VOUCHER's back!

• @netomx said: get @Hostbluff , guaranteed NO TRAFFIC OR YOUR I.O.U. VOUCHER's back!

We discontinued those vouchers before any customer had the chance to use it

Thanked by 2netomx lbft
  • Our Ovz VPS's are all IPv6 enabled, no configuration necessary.

All I know is that OpenVZ's IPv6 setup instructions do not include opening IP6Tables to allow ND/NA packets which are basically ARP for IPv6.