Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of speed do you have for OpenVPN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What kind of speed do you have for OpenVPN?

dracodraco Member
edited October 2011 in Help

Hello people, I have a connection capable of doing >10mbps (1MB/s) downstream but whenever I am on OpenVPN, I get roughly around 500kbps only (using cachefly speed test several times to get an average). I'm currently using UDP, disabled lzo-comp and VPN set to port 80. Is this kind of speed normal? Any idea how to increase my speed so I can actually stream youtube videos and stuff?

FWIW, I'm from Singapore and my OpenVPN is running on RamHost(http://tinyvz.com/). My ping to Ramhost averages around 270ms if that matters. Thank you!

Comments

• Do you get better speeds downloading from the VPS without a VPN? If not, then the issue is your network connection to the VPS.

• dracodraco Member
    edited October 2011

Thanks dmmcintyre.

I scp a 100MB test file from the VPS to my home machine and it averages 250KB/s without the VPN.

I then connected to the VPN to do a wget from cachefly with my local machine it actually went up to around 200KB/s before stabilizing again at 50-80KB/s range. So I guess this range is normal?

• Probably...

And btw, you can enable LZMA compression in OpenVPN, you will get that cachefly file about 400 KB/S maybe :P

• Haha, i get like 30-40% more internet speed with my VPN for some reason...

• Maybe changing your MTU does help?

• xprotocept said: Haha, i get like 30-40% more internet speed with my VPN for some reason...

Read my comment

• yomero said: And btw, you can enable LZMA compression in OpenVPN, you will get that cachefly file about 400 KB/S maybe :P

I can't seem to find anything online to enable this, most talk about LZO! BTW is this only applicable to certain files or all files? If you're not joking, of course. Haha.

kylix said: Maybe changing your MTU does help?

I'm on OS X and UDP, does it still work? I always thought MTU is for TCP packets.

And thanks guys! I think the bandwidth varies a little throughout the day because right now I'm somehow able to actually view youtube videos (360p) without it constantly buffering. So I think I can live with this.

• My mistake, yes, LZO

And I don't know how it apply the compression, but I guess it compresses all the traffic, maybe per block, or packet.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited October 2011

draco said: Thanks dmmcintyre.

I scp a 100MB test file from the VPS to my home machine and it averages 250KB/s without the VPN.
    I then connected to the VPN to do a wget from cachefly with my local machine it actually went up to around 200KB/s before stabilizing again at 50-80KB/s range. So I guess this range is normal?

So what speed do you get when downloading through ssh to the VPS directly? by

wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
  • Sounds like you should get a better provider who can provide a faster uplink. Also try and get a provider with a server located close to you.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

The speed of the uplink feeding our TinyVZ division is very fast, however, the OP is connecting from half way around the world to a cheap network mix of HE+Cogent, which is the problem.

Our premium offers in Atlanta and LA have significantly better global network routes to work around poor provider routing in far-off countries, which the OP can consider switching to if they so desire it.

• @Go59954 said: So what speed do you get when downloading through ssh to the VPS directly? by

@Ixape said: Sounds like you should get a better provider who can provide a faster uplink. Also try and get a provider with a server located close to you.

@ramnet said: The speed of the uplink feeding our TinyVZ division is very fast, however, the OP is connecting from half way around the world to a cheap network mix of HE+Cogent, which is the problem.

Thanks guys, I've come to terms with the speed I'm getting being limited by many factors that can't be controlled. I'm also getting more than the speed I stated in my original post, sometimes reaching in excess of 300KB/s which I'm really satisfied with.

I hope ramnet doesn't think that I'm trying to belittle the uplink because I wasn't. I was just stating the factors that might be taken into consideration since I asked a question. :)

• Cachefly test on the server console should suffice.

Since you are in Asia, like me. The best we can hope for would be 500KBs.

However, this statement will not hold true if your in South Korea or Japan.

• @librevpn said: Since you are in Asia, like me. The best we can hope for would be 500KBs.

I can actually get 800KBs on my vpn from Los angeles :)

• Alas Ramhost's LA VPS has been showing "sold out" for some time now

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

@syaman, our premium LA KVM services are getting re-stocked next week :-)

• I'd recommend running OpenVPN,PPTP Other VPN Software on 1Gbit/s Ports or 100Mbps Dedicated @ The HN.

Only way your going to get a decent speed, Especially not going to be Enterprise standard from a budget provider.

• @Pinoy
    Running on 7.2 Mbps Dongles ey. mf627 I bet.

@EaseVPS
    for a Large provider yes like Anchorfree, your specs may not be enough as they get more that 1k users per OpenVPN instance I bet. But for a small scall hobbyist like us your specs would be awesome ^_^.

• We have many clients running OpenVPN and other VPN Protocols on our services.
    They run pretty well and we have tutorials to set them up, Aslong as you know what your doing then setting up a VPN and Maintaining it is a walk in the park.

• JD
  • fanfan Veteran

Typically I can get full speed of my internet connection if the packet loss to the vps is lower than 0.5%, and 80%~90% speed if the packet loss rises to 1%.

And always using udp instead of tcp since tcp over tcp is absolutely a bad idea.

Thanked by 1geevee
  • Hey @draco , from Singapore here as well and on LoomHosts, I've been getting about 50% of the speed based on Speedtest. (StarHub 6Mbps)