Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup Software for Windows/OSX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup Software for Windows/OSX

Anyone got a recommendation for something that can backup a desktop/laptop and store them on a server I choose?

Needs to support either block level or incremental backups and encryption, don't really care about how it transfers the data to the server i.e FTP/SFTP/Rsync or some proprietary protocol that needs their "server" software installed.

I already use spideroak for a automatic remote backup of my critical data, but I've yet to find a decent bit of backup software to backup to the Local server or my co-lo'd box.

I'd like to use the co-lo'd box for one of the offsite backup locations because then if I need to restore a lot of data and can't wait for the connection to transfer it there's always the option of physically going there and plugging into the server.

Comments

• wychwych Member

I use a VPN'd samba share between my home NAS and a VPS on a colo'd box.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Veeam released a new product to backup physical units.

Havent tried it myself yet but it is free.

http://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Thanked by 2sin HyperSpeed
  • LegionboxLegionbox Member
    edited April 2015

try FreeFileSync or handybackup.net

• +1 for duplicati. Not sure if it completely meets your needs because it doesn't do block level but it does do file level incremental and there are various options for where to point it.

• rokokrokok Member

BittorentSync?

• wych said: I use a VPN'd samba share between my home NAS and a VPS on a colo'd box.

no need for vpn if you encrypt it at server itself.

• sinsin Member

@doverland said:
    +1 for duplicati. Not sure if it completely meets your needs because it doesn't do block level but it does do file level incremental and there are various options for where to point it.

I love duplicati! I installed the client on my Windows 7 workstation and it was VERY easy to setup a remote backup/sync to a vps I had idling. Duplicati is simple and just works, absolutely love it.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I use rsync over cygwin on Windows in combination with EncFS to back up stuff to my server.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    no need for vpn if you encrypt it at server itself.

Not sure I'd want to send CIFS/Samba over the internet un-encrypted If I could avoid it.

• Am using Cobian Backup, the software looks a bit outdated though.

• dragon2611 said: Not sure I'd want to send CIFS/Samba over the internet un-encrypted If I could avoid it.

hence using encryption (SMB Encryption).

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2012/05/03/smb-3-security-enhancements-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

• Thanked by 1ehab
  • seafile

• Used Veeam before, it's pretty good from my own experience.

• TImemachine is (obviously) pretty reliable on OSX.

• @doverland said:
    +1 for duplicati. Not sure if it completely meets your needs because it doesn't do block level but it does do file level incremental and there are various options for where to point it.

Well, just tried it on OSX, uses Mono and does not really work.... might be a viable option for Windows though.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

carboncopycloner

• @rokok said:
    BittorentSync?

is a good candidate... easy to setup and cross platform!

• I'm hoping duplicati 2.0 goes into final soon, because it almost looks like It does what I'd want.

The Windows support is more important than the OSX to be honest as I don't actually tend to keep data on my Macbook.

• Trying CloudBacko Lite, the interface is horrible and it looks to be java based, However that said it does seem to do what I want and it's pretty cheap as well.

• emgemg Veteran

@William said:
    TImemachine is (obviously) pretty reliable on OSX.

My experience differs. Time Machine is excellent for recovering files that you worked on recently, modified, etc. I have mixed results with Time Machine and restoring full disk backups. Sometimes it has worked, sometimes not. I prefer to rely on full disk image backups using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!. Last summer I restored a full disk image and then copied the changes from Time Machine. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but it took time and experimentation to get the restore to work as needed after a hard drive failed and was replaced.

A forgotten Mac and Windows backup system is Retrospect. The developers bought control of it from EMC, and are maintaining it themselves. It has been a while since I used it, but it was an excellent backup program in its day. Retrospect is worth considering when you have more than one system to backup, Mac-only or mixed types (Mac and Windows).

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited May 2015

Well that trial didn't go to well, it kept hanging during backup.

I think I'm just going to use Crashplan and install it on the remote machine (I used to backup to their servers" before)