Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever worried about your files privacy on vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Have you ever worried about your files privacy on vps?

First of all, i do not assume there are provider that are doing this. This is just a general discussion that does not have any evidence.

i just read that there are many very small providers who only have a few customers. And i also just read providers sometimes do monitor your processes(which is understandable, maybe not legal, idk).

Anyway, so my question is do you ever concern your privacy in the vps. By privacy i mean your personal files such as family files etc. (or maybe your amature video ;-) )

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

The only server that I don't own that has any personal files of any significance is CrashPlan's servers, but only I have the encryption key so I feel comfortable.

Would I host my family photos on a VPS that I don't own the hardware of? Yes.
    Would I host my tax documents on a VPS that I don't own the hardware of (regardless of the company)? No.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

For personal stuff of no major security concern, I usually feel pretty comfortable with any provider that I know has a reasonable number of clients (provided they don't hand out access like candy). As someone who has had access to client data from several companies over the last few years, I can honestly say that the thought of sitting around going through people's stuff on a node sounds like anything but fun. I mean, you have to spend enough time on there just keeping things running well, the idea of spending your down time on one of those servers is downright depressing.

It's often true that when you're sitting right next to something you shouldn't see, it's hard not to look. That said, when your job is to stack books that you aren't supposed to read, the last thing you want to do when you're off shift is to stare at a stack of books.

Of course, integrity is what really matters, but the above is a purely selfish motivation for not digging through someone's stuff. You can't always know the integrity of a stranger, but you can reasonably assume most people are selfish to at least some degree (selfish might be too harsh a word, but I think the point is communicated).

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • If I was a provider I would peep into others nodes in my free time to check what those low end fuckers are upto. Human inquisitiveness I say. Lol There are people who bomb others in the name of God, vps stalking isnt as crazy as that :P

• I haven't worried about it much. Nothing I put on any box I don't own is inappropriate for others to see, or it wouldn't be there. That said, I wouldn't expect a host to look at my files and doubt that bigger ones do - it's just bad form. But I also know that humans will be humans, so wouldn't feel too stressed if it happened.

One thing that would get me bent out of shape though, is any agency looking at my e-mails going through my postfix server. An individual person, not so much. As we move further into this brave new world of government surveillance, I slowly respond with a little more resistance - just as a matter of personal policy.

• Would i host something important on a Low End VPS? No

• Invest in storage for yourself such as some of these appealing cloud offers and ALWAYS make backups. You never know when something will go down.

• ehabehab Member

my files are on different levels, level 1 is only backed up locally such as bank,passwords, family etc... level 2 is my code, books etc .. those are encrypted and synced, level 3 i can share with you here :D

• I've never done this's, and if they're is a load spike or something I just email the customer right away. From there they tell us what to do. We don't look into anything unless we have customer permission.

• I don't want to say anything about this because I am in China.

• ATHKATHK Member

No I'm not worried I don't have services with @TinyTunnel_Tom

Thanked by 3Jonchun TheCTS Mark_R
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

ATHK said: No I'm not worried I don't have services with @TinyTunnel_Tom

You sure? I believe him to be the UK's answer to @BharatB.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • souensouen Member

Maybe a little initially, not because providers might intentionally dig into the containers for kicks,
    but the possibility of a data breach/leak. Stories of repeat breaches at one company, containers remaining online months after cancellation, etc.

I try to sign up with knowledgeable providers who at least seem to care a little about client privacy. Hopefully enough to notify me if some third party wants/had access to the vps.