Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS based on ARM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS based on ARM

Hi:

Guys, I am looking for a VPS that works with ARM.

Pay around $3 - $7 month.

Just gonna host a simples website (my own website).

And I just wanna do it in a ARM VPS.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• NomadNomad Member

Get a raspberry, odroid or banana pro and call @MSPNick.
    The last I remember he was offering a good deal for colocating those.

Or go runabove.com

• Scaleway is pretty decent.

• Not a VPS, but a Raspberry Pi is with an ARM CPU and we can offer Raspberry Pi based dedicated servers. They are not very powerful though, your web sites would run faster on a normal VPS.

• @Nomad said:
    Get a raspberry, odroid or banana pro and call MSPNick.
    The last I remember he was offering a good deal for colocating those.

Or go runabove.com

Hey thanks! Under $4 for a colo device.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

+1 for @rds100 and his awesome Raspberry Pis.

Thanked by 2rds100 GCat
  • @KuJoe do you recommend him ??

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@martip07 said:
    KuJoe do you recommend him ??

I do!

Thanked by 3martip07 rds100 GCat
  • jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2015

how much is pi from @rds100?

troll comment:

Jar said: I do!

You may now ... the ...

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@martip07 said:
    KuJoe do you recommend him ??

Yes, I do. I've had a Raspberry Pi from him since July 1st 2014. I mainly used it as a VPN and for network testing though so I can't comment on running a website off of it (although my Rapsberry Pi at home was running MRTG for a few months which has a web interface).

• Would virtualisation be possible on arm? I know OpenVZ won't work :(

• @linuxthefish said:
    Would virtualisation be possible on arm? I know OpenVZ won't work :(

It could if you build it for arm arch. Then for kernel just build debian under arm

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

linuxthefish said: Would virtualisation be possible on arm?

Latest ARM chips support KVM:
    https://lwn.net/Articles/557132/
    http://systems.cs.columbia.edu/projects/kvm-arm/
    Not Raspberry Pi, though.

linuxthefish said: I know OpenVZ won't work

Most ARM devices will require a very recent kernel, certainly 3.x+++, e.g. the Scaleway C1 work best with 3.19 or newer. And from the looks of it OpenVZ are still stuck in the ancient past with their 2.6.32.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@rm_ said:
    And from the looks of it OpenVZ are still stuck in the ancient past with their 2.6.32.

OpenVZ only officially supports RHEL6, hense it only offers a kernel compatible with RHEL6. Of course a 1 month old kernel is ancient in internet time. ;)

edited April 2015

KuJoe said: a 1 month old kernel

Linux 2.6.32 has been released on December 3rd 2009. http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_32

Of course it lacks the hardware support required for pretty much any of the new ARM SoCs. And nobody will bother backporting that to a kernel from the last decade, not even your RHEL.

edited April 2015

@rm_ Just because the first release was in 2009 doesn't mean that was the last release. The last release was less than a month ago.

edited April 2015

KuJoe said: Just because the first release was in 2009 doesn't mean that was the last release. The last release was less than a month ago.

Sure there are releases of it by RHEL. But the point is, the feature set is frozen as it was in 2009. Some stuff can be backported (ripped out of the newer kernels and patched in into this one with varying degrees of success), but firstly not everything is even possible to backport (changes might be too great and affecting the core structures too much), and secondly it's a question of whether someone pays for that effort, as nobody is going to be working on 2.6.32 today "just for fun". So what ends up patched in your "less than a month ago" releases is merely security holes, not addition of any brand-new hardware support.

Thanked by 1alexvolk

@rm_ Sorry I've made you so angry over a discussion about kernels. And no, I'm not 50 years old although I do feel old on these forums. :P

KuJoe said: And no, I'm not 50 years old although I do feel old on these forums. :P

Oh okay, I must be mistaking you with a certain someone else from around here then.