Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualizor 2.7.2 - Multi Virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualizor 2.7.2 - Multi Virtualization

Virtualizor 2.7.2 released today

Interesting new feature

http://www.virtualizor.com/wiki/Multi_Virtualization

Any thoughts? Good, bad, don't care?

Comments

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

wow!

• BruceBruce Member

interesting idea, and useful if you only have a few nodes. but unless you can be sure about storage, it seems messy to have to either stick to a fixed storage plan or otherwise have to resize partitions. not recommended

surely it's better to have one virt method per node

• Honestly, I'd much rather see Virtualizor fix most of their current code base than add new features.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • BruceBruce Member

@Steven_F said:
    Honestly, I'd much rather see Virtualizor fix most of their current code base than add new features.

I agree

• Proxmox have been doing this for years.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • @MarkTurner said:
    Proxmox have been doing this for years.

It's supposed to be relatively simple to do, but I've had no interest in pursuing this. If you do KVM and OVZ, separate the nodes, IMO.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Steven_F said: If you do KVM and OVZ, separate the nodes, IMO.

Without question!

But good for playing with virtualisation techologies.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

MarkTurner said: Without question!

I don't agree, this place is a super budget playground, it will be great for that.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2015

Limits you to a 2.6.32 kernel... very bad idea.

William said: Limits you to a 2.6.32 kernel... very bad idea.

You have said this a few times now, what is so bad?

• KVM performance on 3.x is around 25% faster - 3.x supports PCIe passthrough - List goes on and on...

Besides that 2.6 is now MANY YEARS old, even 3.x is now already older.

Thanked by 1Spencer

William said: 3.x is around 25% faster

in terms of?

William said: PCIe passthrough

Not really a concern for the hosting industry.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2015

General computing speed - Run Qemu/KVM on 3.x (Ubuntu 13+) and on 2.6 (Debian 6) and compare it yourself.

3.x is much more efficient.

(It also solved the bug that Ubuntu would hang in the grub and do 100% CPU load)

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep
    • 1, please fix your current bugs
  • @cfgguy said:

• 1, please fix your current bugs

2) Then fix the bugs those bug fixes cause.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@Steven_F said:
    2) Then fix the bugs those bug fixes cause.

99 little bugs in the code

99 little bugs

Take one down, patch it around

128 little bugs in the code

• @matthewvz said:
    128 little bugs in the code

I wouldn't call most of their bugs little.

• BruceBruce Member

is it worth creating a list of "things to avoid" ? already been learning what potholes to avoid in the virtualizor road, which is a real waste of time.

in their defence, it's always a struggle to balance bug fixes (keep existing customers) and new features (get new customers)

• What sort of bugs are people finding. We're running on RHEL7 and the only bug I picked up was fixed in the release before this one, regarding the correct showing of RAM information.

• BruceBruce Member

@ratherbak3d said:
    What sort of bugs are people finding. We're running on RHEL7 and the only bug I picked up was fixed in the release before this one, regarding the correct showing of RAM information.

bug or intended function, who knows. but for me, their integration with WHMCS is painful. no debug info, so you can't tell what is going wrong. logging is undocumented. running as cluster is tedious (need to specify server group twice). support on their forum is slow, so the hours of head-banging is not fun. maybe it's me, maybe it's WHMCS.

once you get a setup that works, it seems fine. just think twice about touching it afterwards

• Honestly, we stopped keeping track of them and just started using Virtualizor as little as possible in the backend.

• Bruce said: bug or intended function, who knows. but for me, their integration with WHMCS is painful. no debug info, so you can't tell what is going wrong. logging is undocumented. running as cluster is tedious (need to specify server group twice). support on their forum is slow, so the hours of head-banging is not fun. maybe it's me, maybe it's WHMCS.

once you get a setup that works, it seems fine. just think twice about touching it afterwards

Ahh. We're using Blesta so we must have missed these problems thankfully. I used it in the past and on 9/10 machines I always had trouble with the initial install missing something or other out. But the latest version installed without issue.