Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 8.0 Jessie has been released - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 8.0 Jessie has been released

2»

Comments

• i just noticed debian 8 jessie is available on DIgitalocean (at least in the Frankfurt region). So i'll do my tests there

• KeithKeith Member

I'm using sysvinit + openrc (instead of sysv-rc).

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

Upgraded a bunch of servers today, looks like there's an issue with NoMachine Player for OSX, new desktop sessions crash immediately, existing ones don't render properly and crash after a few minutes.

EDIT: Turns out I was running an outdated version of the NX client that somehow worked with machines running the NX server on Debian 7 but stopped working under 8. A much older NX client worked perfectly under Snow Leopard, strangely.

• What ever happened to one program to do one thing, and do it well? Now we have systemd that does a lot, but nothing great. Guess i'm just going to have to get used to the fact that Linux philosophy is changing and get ready for systemd and em1 interfaces.

Thanked by 2Microlinux Amitz
  • ben78ben78 Member

Yeah, systemd is not that fantastic..

Do you guys know for how long wheezy will have security upgrades?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

ben78 said: Do you guys know for how long wheezy will have security upgrades?

Approximately one year, unless there's another stable release to supercede Jessie in that time.

Source: https://www.debian.org/security/faq#lifespan

Thanked by 1marrco
  • Of course there is also LTS, so it could last a lot longer.

• rds100 said: Of course there is also LTS, so it could last a lot longer.

Yep, just not by the security team themselves. It will instead be handled by volunteers.

Thus the Debian LTS team takes over security maintenance of the various releases once the Debian Security team stops its work. The team will thus handle:

Debian 6 “Squeeze” until February 2016

Debian 7 “Wheezy” from February 2016 to May 2018

Debian 8 “Jessie“ from May 2018 to April/May 2020

Source: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/

Thanked by 2marrco howardsl2
  • ben78ben78 Member
    edited April 2015

Thanks! I will upgrade before then, but it's good to know exactly for how long updates will be provided!

:)

• ska42ska42 Member

Fresh Jessie install on my Dedibox Kidéchire, running good so far.

Just be aware at first you can't login as root (PermitRootLogin without-password)... I initially thought I mistyped my password.

• crap systemd

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

modify sources.list to jessie on fresh wheezy install. apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

VPS doesn't work at all. Need to do ifup to enable network and then everything else still throws random errors

• @IceCream said:
    crap systemd

I'm not using Debian anymore, as Debian Sta(b)le was a bit too outdated and I prefer faster release cycles, so I don't know how well systemd was integrated, but I don't get it why all of you guys hate it. I've experienced some rough and slightly unpolished things, sure, but I would never switch back to the old init system.

• IceCreamIceCream Member
    edited April 2015

@4n0nx

1. Install aptitude.

2. Create the file /etc/apt/preferences.d/openvz (or something else) and insert

Package: systemd-sysv Pin: release o=Debian Pin-Priority: -1

1. Edit your sources.list accordingly.

2. Do "aptitude full-upgrade"

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • ben78ben78 Member

Yeah, it's possible to refuse this upgrade... but I feel like anyway it will be needed to get used to systemd some day if you want to use one of the main distros - so why wait? ;)