Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who uses Axigen ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who uses Axigen ?

Hi, after the interesting post about free mail servers oppened by @jvnadr, and after playing a little bit with Axigen, I wanted to ask some things.

• who is using Axigen ?

• what resources is it using on production environments ? specially CPU for webmail users.

• how many IOPS would I need for 100 users using a VPS ?
  • Is there any way to automate any kind of sign-up process for hosting purposes ?

Thank you :)

Comments

• It is difficult question to be answered. At first, free version of axigen can handle no more than 100 users. For more, you have to unlock with a licence that is not so cheap.
    Now, I think that in any vps, for ~100 email users the iop will be not noticable. A medium sized vps of a sata drive with 512mb ram can handle fine a cms system with 50-100 concurent users, a way lot heavier duty than a mail server of 100 or even 500 users.
    I have no more than 15 users in my server, but load and iops are always if not, extremely close to zero.

Hope I helped

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited April 2015

I was successfully running it on an intoVPS 2GB OpenVZ for over 100 Mailboxes without any problems, but ultimately had to quite because of

1. Poor...Very Poor SPAM handling.
    2. The purchased License limited to 100 Mailboxes (unlimited domains)

So had to port the client to Google Apps now.

I have a version 8 license lying around to sale out, incase someone wants it, I purchased it for $275 in 2011

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • @jvnar, I know limitations of 100 users and I totally understand that, if you need that amount of users you obviuously have to pay, even with 50 users ! I think that the most consuming CPU or IOPS won't be the mail system will be the concurrent users connected to the webmail working on the web interface.

Also, I still didn't play too much with it, since I also have it all with Google Apps since 2008, and my clients use to be small companies, most of them in GApps also by recommendation by me, but you know, Free GApps is over, and maybe would be an interesting option since now on.

What I wanted to test with some time is the option to archive all incoming/outgoing email passing through a domain, do you know if is it possible to do this ? I don't want to use any Arcmail or other external archiving system.

@mehargags, you could fix that SPAM issue with an external perimetral SPAM filterer, like spamexperts, they are EXCEPTIONAL and very cheap !

• mehargags said: I have a version 8 license lying around to sale out, incase someone wants it, I purchased it for $275 in 2011

I just checked my fresh installed version and it's a 8.2 ! almost the same !

--> AXIGEN Mail-Server 8.2.0 (Linux/x64).

Wow .... ;)

• NomadNomad Member

@keyJey,

Free Gapps might be over but Yandex and Zoho offers similar services for free.

The other day I had to get one from Yandex and it's not bad I must say...

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • @Nomad, I know, and u're right. Gapps is not the only one, but I don't know why I didn't consider the secondary providers .... wrong of me. U're right.

• Yup... I'm on Yandex for my small clients with 2-10 mailbox requirements, and it works good, with an assurance of being backed up by big company. Zoho also is quite nice... no complaints as such.