Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setup a "reverse proxy" for shared hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setup a "reverse proxy" for shared hosting?

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited April 2015 in Help

Hi.

One of my sites hosted on a cPanel server has been under attack for the past few hours, and the host has nulled the IP as it took the whole node offline, it they told me to enable Cloudflare and reply so they can assign me a new dedicated IP.

I have a bunch of OVH VPS's lying around and was wondering if it would be possible to create a reverse proxy.

So that the OVH VPS would take the hit instead of the cPanel server.

So I'd point my Domain's A record to my OVH VPS IP, and then it would act as a reverse proxy between OVH and my site on the cpanel server.

So basically

Person enters my domain in their browser --> OVH IP --> cPanel Dedicated IP --> My site.

Comments

• BuyVM GRE tunnel, instructions are on their wiki.

• edited April 2015

@xaitmi said:
    Hi.

One of my sites hosted on a cPanel server has been under attack for the past few hours, and the host has nulled the IP as it took the whole node offline, it they told me to enable Cloudflare and reply so they can assign me a new dedicated IP.

I have a bunch of OVH VPS's lying around and was wondering if it would be possible to create a reverse proxy.

So that the OVH VPS would take the hit instead of the cPanel server.

So I'd point my Domain's A record to my OVH VPS IP, and then it would act as a reverse proxy between OVH and my site on the cpanel server.

So basically

Person enters my domain in their browser --> OVH IP --> cPanel Dedicated IP --> My site.

Search up nginx reverse proxy. Might want to stick varnish in front if high latency between cPanel and OVH VPS. If you get HTTP floods after that, either use Cloudflare or nginx-testcookie

Make sure that you make it that only your sub(domains) can use the nginx proxy by defining a nginx default host to catch all other domains that are pointed at your IP, but do not belong to you.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited April 2015
This discussion has been closed.