Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Define "low end" hosting provider - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Define "low end" hosting provider

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

LowEnd doesn't mean LowPrice. It means: LowEnd = Low quality/performance/resources, IMHO. Although, nowadays we can find many good quality VPS here so the term should be slightly changed. :-)

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

MrGeneral said: the term should be slightly changed

Agree. LowEnd: expect less, receive more.

Thanked by 2MikePT Maounique
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@time4vps said:
    LowEnd: expect everything, pay next to nothing.

Fixed that for you.

Thanked by 1MikePT

Folks, it honestly reminds me of Chief, who used to get us tutorials to run WordPress in 64mb VPS, those were the true LowEnd VPS! :)

The spirit back then was way different. I miss those times.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Are you still want to squeeze water from the rock with 64 MB VPS and Magento install? :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • earlearl Member

@MrGeneral said:
    Folks, it honestly reminds me of Chief, who used to get us tutorials to run WordPress in 64mb VPS, those were the true LowEnd VPS! :)

The spirit back then was way different. I miss those times.

You mean LEA!! The only thing Chief ever did was to sell us out! Not that it really mattered cause LEA pretty much abandoned this site anyways..

@time4vps said:

That would be an extreme challenge! :P

I did have look for offers for such small VPS to create my personal blog, and run it in 32mb RAM, hehe, only for the sake of it!

@earl said:

earl, you are correct. LEA. I remember Chief and LEA :P.

I miss LEA posts about his adventures and he did love LEB!

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@MrGeneral said:
    I miss LEA posts about his adventures and he did love LEB!

Yeah LEA was great.. But I think he had enough with all the scams and threats that LEB was getting.. Can't say I blame him from leaving..

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited April 2015

@earl said:

Yeah he used to vent about it, quite a lot. But I liked him, he was a nice guy and I think that LEB grown a lot due to the way he dealt with people.

I'm not unhappy with the current state/ownership of LEB/LET, though, I think we have pretty good staff members here and the owners are doing their best. There's still a lot of room for improvement and we will, eventually, get there. I just miss the old spirit, that's it.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @SSDBlaze said:
    Some customers who end up getting a $5 - $10 per year plan expect 1 hour ticket support with hands on help and Xeon E5 processors.

Xeon e5 is so last year. For the $5/y one should get at least a xeon e9.

• @perennate said:
    In the end, a VPS provider is simply a VPS provider.

L'art pour l'art?

• @HostNun said:
    L'art pour l'art?

Le fap pour le fap.

• Low End: you get what you didn't pay for.

Thanked by 2MikePT Maounique
  • HostNunHostNun Member
    edited April 2015

Where's the free vps forums category?

edit: I think it may eventually have to become inverted too, i.e. a forum where providers pay you to buy a vps. It's simply not 'low end' enough unless the provider is selling vps for negative integers. :)

• rahulksrahulks Member
    edited April 2015

time4vps said: What is your point of view for "low end" hosting provider?

A "low end" hosting provider should offer really cheap deals,and i dont mind little downtime,Also its okay if it takes 1 day to get my ticket answered Since its a cheap deal.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited May 2015

@rm_ said:
    [...vc funded...] Wable,

I know we got lumped in in casual conversation. But Wable is not VC funded, Wable is a mature (Incero Alpha -> Public Beta -> Wable stable) product that has been in development for over 3 years and is profitable/sustainable, with no VC funding. Incero has been in business since 2008.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Incero said: But Wable is not VC funded

Yeah that was my point. Lots of hosts who are not VC-funded easily match DO's pricepoint and make a profit.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited May 2015

@sleddog said:
    Unfortunately that's the definition we're stuck with, even though it makes no sense.

In all fairness, the world has changed since this site was invented.

Whereas the first ever host posted on LEB (http://lowendbox.com/blog/vt6-internet-7-64mb-openvz/) was a 64MB OVZ for $7/month, you now get a 512MB OVZ from a reputable provider like SecureDragon for $4.99/month (or a $5.95/month 512MB from BuyVM and a €4/month 512MB KVM from Prometeus). Heck, the first LEB offer was posted at the time Linode switched from UML to Xen and charged $19.95 for 360MB RAM.

I understand that there's a big part of the market focusing on cramming as much RAM (or other resources) as possible within those $7, but that doesn't mean LowEnd doesn't exist anymore. It has just changed and divided: providers offering a profitable packages on reasonably loaded nodes with proper support (SecureDragon, Prometeus, BuyVM, RamNode, NodeDeploy, InceptionHosting, etc.) and providers offering a lot of bang-for-buck with questionable support or performance, sometimes without any support at all.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • sleddogsleddog Member

mpkossen said: In all fairness, the world has changed since this site was invented.

Yes, it has.

Whereas the first ever host posted on LEB (http://lowendbox.com/blog/vt6-internet-7-64mb-openvz/) was a 64MB OVZ for $7/month, you now get a 512MB OVZ from a reputable provider like SecureDragon for $4.99/month (or a $5.95/month 512MB from BuyVM and a €4/month 512MB KVM from Prometeus). Heck, the first LEB offer was posted at the time Linode switched from UML to Xen and charged $19.95 for 360MB RAM.

There ya go defining lowend based solely on price again :) You've provided incontrovertible proof that VMs have gotten cheaper over the years, and that providers now offer more for the same price compared to years ago.

It still doesn't make a 2GB / $7/month VM a "lowend" server. It makes it a cheap server :)

Anyway, enough, I'll say no more on the subject....

Thanked by 1mikho
  • sleddog said: Anyway, enough, I'll say no more on the subject....

Don't get me wrong, I get your point. Though the original LowEnd may be interpreted as two things: a resource-wise LowEndBox and a pricing-wise LowEndBox. Back then the two were linked because of how the situation was at that time and it kind of grew from there.

My sole intention was stating that both may have changed since. What was a LowEndBox in 2008 with 64MB RAM and the Linux distros at the time may as well be the 512MB RAM server of today, regardless of the pricing. Linode charges the same for a 360MB box then as for a 2GB box today, which is a 5.6x increase in RAM for the same price. Apply that to the 64MB box and you'll end up near the 360MB. Given how RAM pricing got cheaper, it may be fair to say that today's LowEndBox is 512MB as it was 64MB 7 years ago.

Heck, the CentOS 7 installer won't even work on less then 1GB of RAM these days (without tweaks). Technology changes and a website based around technology should go along with that change to some extend. Sticking to 64MB for $7/month just because that was the case 7 years ago would be as crazy as sticking to IE8 because it was released 6 years ago and was "the thing" at the time.

I'm not saying running things on 128MB of RAM is now impossible; to the contrary, I'm running a tutorial series about this right now. I'm just saying that the world has changed and the original LowEnd has had to make way for it's modern alternative.

• sleddogsleddog Member

mpkossen said: I'm not saying running things on 128MB of RAM is now impossible; to the contrary, I'm running a tutorial series about this right now. I'm just saying that the world has changed and the original LowEnd has had to make way for it's modern alternative.

I get what you're saying, and I understand.

As prices drop, we can do more for the same dollar. The incentive for finding ways to make things work on low RAM disappears, because we have more RAM. So we accept bloated apps because we have the RAM to run them. But it's sad in a way, because we no longer encourage "lean" app development. Who cares when you have 2GB or more....

I do, though it feels lonely... just me and Kate :)

And on the topic of tutorials, any reason why you haven't approved my comment on your LEB post, "The LowEndCluster – Part 2"?

• HostNunHostNun Member
    edited May 2015

@sleddog said:
    As prices drop, we can do more for the same dollar. The incentive for finding ways to make things work on low RAM disappears, because we have more RAM. So we accept bloated apps because we have the RAM to run them. But it's sad in a way, because we no longer encourage "lean" app development. Who cares when you have 2GB or more....

'...because we have the RAM' is an interesting angle. I would ask who is the 'we' here?

Leading providers will always 'have more RAM' and yet not everyone has been blessed with such an abundance of resources. In that sense, to what extent do those with the most RAM get to continually redefine what constitutes 'LEB' in step with changing economic strategies and pricing wars? (i.e. at the expense of more apt or exciting definitions).

• sleddogsleddog Member

HostNun said: I would ask who is the 'we' here?

The buyer. As @mpkossen explained, back in the days of yore we (the buyer) would get 64 or maybe 128 MB RAM for a few bucks per month. Now we get (and expect) 512MB, 1 GB, or more for the same price. With the greater RAM, it's possible to run the memory-hogging apps that posed problems before, so user-innovation for low-RAM situations has become obsolete.

The catch with this is that many cheap, high-RAM VMs are over-allocated and perform like sh*t.

• HostNunHostNun Member

@sleddog said:
    we get (and expect) 512MB, 1 GB, or more

& the seller sets that expectation to a certain extent, although I don't really care to get into it. Maybe drmike will return to LET and enlighten us on the moral/ethical implications of $7 price fixing or something.

@HostNun said:
    & the seller sets that expectation to a certain extent, although I don't really care to get into it. Maybe drmike will return to LET and enlighten us on the moral/ethical implications of $7 price fixing or something.

I wish @drmike would come back. I love his posts.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

MrGeneral said: I wish @drmike would come back. I love his posts.

The drmike you @'ed isn't the one @HostNun is referring to.

@Nekki said:

Holy damn, wasn't aware. I meant drmike from vpsboard, isn't he the same? I admit I've read his posts in the other forum and I really do like him.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2015

MrGeneral said: Holy damn, wasn't aware. I meant drmike from vpsboard, isn't he the same? I admit I've read his posts in the other forum and I really do like him.

That's @Buffalo, a user banned here. He changed his name to drmike a while back as a joke and it's stuck. The original @drmike suddenly disappeared a few years back.

• moofasamoofasa Member

Low End Hosting Provider.

Defined; A person or persons who have limited resources and lease,rent or colocate services.