Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A strange ToS for services cancelation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A strange ToS for services cancelation

Hi guys,

I've just seen a strang ToS for services cancelation. I wonder if it's even legal or not?

"The cancelation must be sent in written form by registered mail"

Can providers here confirm if it's legal or not when you have it in you ToS?

Comments

• I think hetzner does something like that?

• @Jonchun said:
    I think hetzner does something like that?

Hetzner allows you to cancel the services via Control Panel.

" A cancellation can only be done in writing by letter, fax or via the secure online administrations area, provided this option is available."

• Can I ask what provider it is?

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Can I ask what provider it is?

Server4you dot net

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2015

Sounds like Germany!

Yes it's legal, but most of the time you can confirm the cancellation by ticket/email/phone.

• comXyz said: Can providers here confirm if it's legal or not when you have it in you ToS?

Sure is.

• BK_BK_ Member

I've had servers from them before -- didn't have to send it in via mail. Mind you, this was over a year ago.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

In the Netherlands, this would not be legal. A service must be cancellable through the same means as it was ordered through (or one requiring equivalent effort). No idea about Germany or other EU countries.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

This is old good server4you.com strategy. Send them that letter ASAP + fax it. If not, they will keep charging your CC.

• @time4vps said:
    This is old good server4you.com strategy. Send them that letter ASAP + fax it. If not, they will keep charging your CC.

Yes, I'm thinking the same way.

• Ive read many shady things about Server4you, be careful.

• @Mark_R said:
    Ive read many shady things about Server4you, be careful.

I've stopped before signing up when I read the cancellation ToS

• ChuckChuck Member

It costs $$ to send mail from 1 country to another.

• I am very pleasantly surprised that there are still people who read ToS.

Thanked by 3wych Maounique geekalot

@rds100 said:
    I am very pleasantly surprised that there are still people who read ToS.

There is! I remember when some hosts hide promotional discount codes in their ToS in order to check if customers read it :)

• time4vps said: I remember when some hosts hide promotional discount codes in their ToS in order to check if customers read it :)

Actually i had thought about doing exactly this in the past :) Didn't know someone has already done it.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

rds100 said: Didn't know someone has already done it.

Where do you think the idea to hide codes in the 1st of april joke site a couple of years ago came :P

Thanked by 1rds100

One more idea for discount code: hide it in the index page source as a comment :)

Thanked by 1rds100
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Typical German. Avoid and have no worries about cancellation.

• @4n0nx said:
    Typical German. Avoid and have no worries about cancellation.

I can't avoid something in ToS. If something bad happens, then who follows the ToS will win.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

comXyz said: I can't avoid something in ToS. If something bad happens, then who follows the ToS will win.

He means avoid the company.

Thanked by 24n0nx geekalot