Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After TuxLite installation, su gives Authentication failure error
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After TuxLite installation, su gives Authentication failure error

FreekFreek Member
edited September 2012 in Help

So I installed TuxLite on a clean Ubuntu 12.04 Minimal 32 Bit OpenVZ VPS and after installation and logging in with the newly created account, su gives an Authentication failure after entering the correct root password.... I reinstalled my VPS and tried it twice, but no-go.
I also added the newly created account to the sudoers before rebooting, but that didn't help either

Surely I must be something stupid wrong, because if I even fail to install/run a script like Tuxlite, I can go home.... ;)

Any pointers?

Thanks!

Comments

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited September 2012

@Freek, did you follow the installation correctly (http://tuxlite.com/installation/)? I'm not really sure what the problem would be, but looking at the available scripts, it seems they are built on Debian: (http://tuxlite.com/scripts/)

lamp-debian-multiuser-suexec.tar.gz 
    lamp-debian-multiuser.tar.gz 
    lamp-natty-multiuser-suexec.tar.gz   
    lamp-natty-multiuser.tar.gz     
    lamp-oneiric-multiuser.tar.gz     
    lnmp-debian-multiuser-dotdeb.tar.gz  
    lnmp-debian-multiuser.tar.gz   
    lnmp-natty-multiuser.tar.gz   
    lnmp-oneiric-multiuser.tar.gz     
    rtorrent.sh                     
    tuxlite.tar.gz                               
    tuxlite.zip  

Perhaps Ubuntu is the problem?

• sudo

Thanked by 1bnmkl
  • bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited September 2012

Are you up for doing what you did again, but on Debian, and see if you get the same problem?

• @Legendlink... "sudo"

:)

• Tried that already too but it says: sudo: must be setuid root

Could it be that the first root account had the same password as the second account I created?

I know it worked in the past on 10.04, but now I'm running it on 12.04, but should work as well. I'm willing to give it another shot on Debian if it can't be solved though.

• A good experience that you can share on your upcoming project :D

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: A good experience that you can share on your upcoming project :D

Absolutely !

• Hi again Freek, I've seen the same error message before on a Debian 6 minimal template ; the sudo binary was installed without setuid permissions. Just remove and reinstall the sudo package.

Sean

• "sudo su" is ubuntu's weird syntax for me :/

• FreekFreek Member
    edited September 2012

@seanho said: Hi again Freek, I've seen the same error message before on a Debian 6 minimal template ; the sudo binary was installed without setuid permissions. Just remove and reinstall the sudo package.

Hi Sean. Thanks for the reply. I assume I have to do this directly after I installed TuxLite, so that means I have to do a complete reinstall again? Not a problem, but just checking!

@djvdorp said: "sudo su" is ubuntu's weird syntax for me :/

I believe it's first su and then afterwards sudo everytime, right?

• Hi Freek, I have not used TuxLite myself, but you shouldn't need to reinstall the OS, just the sudo package (e.g., 'apt-get remove sudo; apt-get install sudo'). Of course, you will need to be root to do this, and if you can't get to root right now, you will need to reset the root password or reinstall the OS.

Sudo and su serve equivalent purposes; you shouldn't need to chain them together, just use one or the other. sudo is beefed-up su, with access control lists, logging, restricting commands users can run, etc.

best,
    Sean

• happelhappel Member
    edited September 2012

I have multiple ubuntu 12.04 vpses with the same problem, they were this way out of the box. Has nothing to do with tuxlite (didn't use that on at least 2 systems). Haven't been able to fix it (not willing to spend a lot of time on this), I'm using the method @djvdorp suggested to circumvent the problem.

• @seanho said: Of course, you will need to be root to do this, and if you can't get to root right now, you will need to reset the root password or reinstall the OS.

The root account is disabled after Tuxlite has been installed for security reason.
    Resetting the root password via SolusVM did not work.

I managed to fix it by reinstalling sudo after Tuxlite ran AND by adding my newly created account to the sudoers file, so like:
    apt-get remove sudo
    apt-get install sudo
    nano /etc/sudoers
    freek ALL=(ALL) ALL

@happel said: I have multiple ubuntu 12.04 vpses with the same problem, they were this way out of the box. Has nothing to do with tuxlite (didn't use that on at least 2 systems). Haven't been able to fix it (not willing to spend a lot of time on this), I'm using the method @djvdorp suggested to circumvent the problem.

See my 'fix' above. What @djvdorp says only worked for me after manually adding me to the sudoers file.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • Ubuntu has a sudoers/Admin group so editting the sudoers file shouldnt be needed iirc

• sudo su -> sudo -s

• @djvdorp said: Ubuntu has a sudoers/Admin group so editting the sudoers file shouldnt be needed iirc

Sadly it was needed because the first time I didnt and ended up reinstalling the whole thingy again

• Glad to hear you resolved the issue!