Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use to encrypt and compress files? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use to encrypt and compress files?

2»

Comments

• CikonCikon Member

GnuPG

• emgemg Veteran

@bsdguy said:
    It's right, what you say but it's not the full thing. Learning is to do with understanding, not with the shortest [way] to say something.

You lost your audience with your treatise about entropy. Those who understood it were already likely to know about compression and encryption. Those who did not understand it needed the simple explanation. They would have had to do their own research and learning anyway.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited April 2015

@emg said:
    You lost your audience with your treatise about entropy. Those who understood it were already likely to know about compression and encryption. Those who did not understand it needed the simple explanation. They would have had to do their own research and learning anyway.

"treatise"? So, those 2 lines are a treatise?
    "Yes, but you forgot to mention the reason: Because compression is based on relatively low entropy while encryption typically is about creating very high levels of entropy and such make compression (after encryption) futile."

What then is the not 2 ("treatise") but 2.5 lines you just wrote? A major undertaking in literature? **g

Moreover, I seriously doubt your pedagogical attitude. Worst case (with my explanation) was that someone had to look up the 1 single word "entropy". Certainly a task everybody here is capable of.

P.S. I'm thinking about publishing this post as a book series in your home town ;)

• @bsdguy

It's just that some people's mind capacity is limited. He is bothered because you forced him to spin his wheels faster than the manufacturer's recommended rate. Ergo, the insistence on you not providing knowledge but easily followable mantras.