Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you ever feel guilty about cancelling a VPS you don't need? (Also kind of a Ramnode review) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you ever feel guilty about cancelling a VPS you don't need? (Also kind of a Ramnode review)

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

Jar said: It's easier to do what I do with DigitalOcean

And cheaper I bet ;)

Thanked by 3netomx Infinity Dylan
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Nick_A said:
    Thanks Nekki! :)

Thank you for two years of excellent service. You've provided a far more performant a service than I would ever have expected for a little over $15 a year.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Jar said:
    It's easier to do what I do with DigitalOcean but I still do it with RamNode and BuyVM.

Thanked by 1jar
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I don't feel guilty, just lazy to move stuff around (and some of my things are disorganized so never know what important stuff might be on the VM) :/

• Nekki said: sometimes I feel guilty about cancelling a VPS I no longer need

No. I feel guilty for not cancelling idling VMs. Go figure :)

Thanked by 3yomero netomx pluush
  • @sleddog @Nekki I feel bad in both cases u_u

Thanked by 3netomx souen mpkossen
  • Good job @Nick_A Thanks for the Service... Keep up the good work...

• I never bought that many VPS's because I was in the mindset of "If I dont need it, I wont buy it no matter how good the deal is" because else I end up with what I started to do and end up signing up with really cheap providers for a dirt cheap yearly service that I dont really need or could use for much... So no, I generally dont feel too guilty about terminating a VPS.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited April 2015

I feel your pain, Nekki. If the provider's performance is excellent I will, most likely, keep it forever :P
    This happens with Ramnode. INIZ and Dediserve. Although, when @Patrick leaves INIZ, I'll cancel the VM's.

• souensouen Member

Not guilt, just a faint reluctance to cancel because it's great service yet leaving the provider anyway. Some of the plans are no longer available so once cancelled they're gone. Eventually I remind myself the idle resources could be put to better use by other customers so it's better to let them go.

I thought of passing unused vps on via a forum thread, but some providers don't allow pushing vps to another account (or need to transfer entire account when I'm only dropping one), plus the overhead for them to do this for people all the time.

Fwiw, I had a @drserver ninja, good uptime and support response, on top of security updates and always kept customers informed. Cancelled for now since it was idling, but still have credits remaining, will be back if I need to spin up a new one.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • I do feel guilty. I have had customers cancel on me, as I guess has everyone, even though I did the best for them. But life goes on. Even though I feel guilty, I still cancel what I do not need. Guilt by itself isn't enough. However, in the cancellation, I do try to say some nice things.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

2 Boxes in NL, already reached 3 Emergency Reboots this Year.

Support is more than okay with the response times, but it seems like OVZ has been instable on RamNode or these Nodes. Other providers are doing better then tat.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@rm sorry managed was a bad choice of words, if I had to put any business critical systems in the hands of SYS I would just close tomorrow, I enjoy an excellent network with full redundancy, auto fail over and hourly backups and <15 minute response times.

Show me a dedi that delivers that for the same price.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

AnthonySmith said: an excellent network with full redundancy, auto fail over and hourly backups and <15 minute response times.

Oh okay so I became curious about that super awesome provider

...went to check their website https://www.racksrv.com/xen-vps and what do I see, the 256 MB plan pricing actually got reduced to 4.99 GBP by now, a long way from 24.99. So from the looks of it they just didn't bother to roll you over onto the new updated plans lineup, and you were just paying the original 2010 price all this time, thinking you get some premium service over those who sign up today for 4.99. :D

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • standardlookstandardlook Member
    edited April 2015

I feel guilty cancelling by Kimsufi in France (KS-2). It no longer has the power I need :(.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@standardlook said:
    I feel guilty cancelling by Kimsufi in the UK (KS-2). It no longer has the power I need :(.

You had a Kimsufi in the UK? Sure?

• I also feel bad when canceling servers from good hosts. But sometimes I do make moves that make some servers not used. And since I'm not made of money, I have to decide what I will keep and what I will cancel. This year I canceled all my servers from Iwstack and moved my main sites to Hetzner (before Iwstack got all their issues). Did not feel right at the time to move, but on the other hand I wanted to try to run my sites from a couple of dedicated servers, so I will give it a year to see how it works out.

I have also canceled servers from Ramnode and many other of the Top10 list hosts. I'm in the business to make money, so can't keep every VPS I ever buy. Thats it.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Infinity580 said: 2 Boxes in NL, already reached 3 Emergency Reboots this Year.

The latest OpenVZ kernels are not playing nice on the CVZ nodes. We have many nodes with over 250 days uptime on other OpenVZ kernels across all locations. We're happy to move you to another node or location upon request.

• @Amitz said:
    You had a Kimsufi in the UK? Sure?

Meant ordered in the UK, but it's in France.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Guilty, no. I mean...I did pay for it.

Nostalgic, yes. Though I think I still have VPSes with all of my favorite LEB providers: BuyVM, SecureDragon, RamNode.

Thanked by 2earl Dylan
  • I am not a fan of Nick, but that is because I have no experience interacting with him. But I am a fan of their boxes. Really fast performance.

• I know the feeling. :( Especially when the provider has gone above and beyond to be helpful, it doesn't feel great cancelling.

• I think it does depend on the provider, Do I feel bad about cancelling a box with someone like OVH or Online.net? Not really, at the end of the day they sell thousands of servers and it won't even make a dent in their income.

If it's one of the smaller players and they've given good service then yes I do feel a bit bad about it.

• @nekki

you are getting soft.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

:-(

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Sounds like "Do you mourn files sent to /dev/null ?"

"User %username%! You are hereby declared guilty of abandoning entirely viable server and thus are sentenced to purchasing 3 more servers of the same configuration. No appeals".

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Well, I cancelled most of my vps because I moved to dedicated server. I felt pretty hard to cancel them, but it just wasting money to keep them without using them. So, what I did, I spoke to them via twitter mostly, that they served me well and Im not hesitating to choose them again in the future. At least, it still a good happy ending.

• mee2mee2 Member

I let go my ramnode just because I couldn't give justice to the great service they provided by letting it idle for months.

• dosaidosai Member
    edited April 2015

+1 Ramnode.
    I didn't renew my Ramnode 128MB SSD cached, since I had no money. :(

• You are getting soft @nekki