Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Organize Photos
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Organize Photos

I have been saving all my photos, without organization into a folder on my computer.

So, I have decided to make good of that and organize my photos now. What are some of the free/ efficient tools which you use?

Any tool which can allow me to organize the photos by the date taken (from exif maybe)? Then, I would be able to manage the photos more easily.

Any suggestions welcome

Comments

• If you want an application then Adobe Lightroom / Bridge or hosted application something like Gallery2 may work

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Picasa?

• blackblack Member

I recommend organizing them by first_last name of the performer ;)

• hdpixelhdpixel Member
    edited April 2015

I use LightRoom to organize my photos. Why? I can easily move the original picture location, tag/rate them, have various Internal/external HD, different catalogs (using different HD), easy to backup, many plugins for online services, etc.,

My folder structure is as follows:

2014-12-24
          2014-12-25
          2014-12-30
          2014-12-31
           2015-01-01
           2015-02-02
           2015-04-19
           2015-04-20
           2015-04-21

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@black said:
    I recommend organizing them by first_last name of the performer ;)

Like a pro.

• @tommy said:
    try Shotwell

Sorry I forgot to mention.. I have windows only

• @hdpixel said:
    I use LightRoom to organize my photos. Why? I can easily move the original picture location, tag/rate them, have various Internal/external HD, different catalogs (using different HD), easy to backup, many plugins for online services, etc.,

My folder structure is as follows:

> 2014
    >       2014-12-24
    >       2014-12-25
    >       2014-12-30
    >       2014-12-31
    > 2015
    >        2015-01-01
    >        2015-02-02
    >        2015-04-19
    >        2015-04-20
    >        2015-04-21
    > 

Hmm. I was always under the impression that this software was for editing. Will need to see how I can do a trial

• ra33ora33o Member
    edited April 2015

I do it manually. Gives me the best stability and protection.

My structure is as follows:

Year

-> xx_month

An example of folders:

-> 01_january

---> Dinner with family

---> Dog Tricks

-> 02_february

-> 03_march

and so on

And finally a "best of the year" folder in each year-folder.

Thats an extremely easy way to organize large number of photos and to find them again without using any photo/organizer software.

And backing up daily to teh interwebz.

• sumosumo Member
    edited April 2015

@plumberg said:
    Hmm. I was always under the impression that this software was for editing. Will need to see how I can do a trial

It contains specialized photo editing functions and simplified image editing functions (e.g. simplified from PhotoShop) used for non-destructive digital photo editing.

It also contains an asset manager. What is that? Basically, its a tag manager. You can tag your photos with as much meta-data as you'd like. After enrichment, you can search for photos based on keywords. You can also "freeze" the edits in your photo in case you want to go a different direction or want to create panels for an Andy Warhol like quadriptych.

As for folder structure. That depends on how you shoot. Usually, photographers shoot events (e.g. holiday in Hawaii, Sally's wedding, pub crawl on April 18 2015, etc) and organize their folders under each year as such. If you're a particularly active photographer, than the events can be under its corresponding year and month, similar to ra330's example in the post directly above this one. If you're a professional, then the events might be under year and client names.

• BochiBochi Member

Not sure which OS you are running, but some time ago this one did a quite well job: http://www.pictomio.com/
    It is Windows only though and I am not sure about the activity of this project...

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2015

I just use the travel destination or what it contains basically, like this:

https://imghost.li/di/3P9E/_Users_william_Google_Drive_Images_Amsterdam-2012_and_Organize_Photos_-_LowEndTalk_1AE80918.png

Google drive for the storage, copies downloaded/syncd on my Macbook, my main Mac and one non-gdrive copy on our local fileserver.

Most are also stored in Albums on Facebook so i have access literally everywhere via my phone.