Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to stream 1080p videos from a VPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to stream 1080p videos from a VPS

2»

Comments

• Nekki said: No idea what 'advanced deduplication' is, care to elaborate of what is is and why I should change platform to use it?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh769303(v=vs.85).aspx
    http://blog.fosketts.net/2012/01/03/microsoft-adds-data-deduplication-ntfs-windows-8/

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@TarZZ92 Interesting, but I guess only relevant if your Plex server is also your seedbox? What's the use case with Plex in your experience?

• Nekki said: Interesting, but I guess only relevant if your Plex server is also your seedbox? What's the use case with Plex in your experience?

i run both on my home server. (g3258 OC'ed to 4.6Ghz) and am constantly running backups & using it as a media server. it's a money saver for sure!

example

• Okay guys, I got plex up and running. I tried Big Buck Bunny (1080 version) 4Mbit/s 720p is working fine, but 8Mbit/s 1080p is laggy. 8 Mbit/s shouldn't be too much, so this might be because the CPU is to slow rendering? It's always 100% used.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

You can try to play around with the transcoder settings for plex to see if it helps.

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited April 2015

There are a couple things at play when you do this. My experience is 9 Windows based VPS streamers pulling data from a single large file share server.

Each device people use to play the content back matters. For example with a Roku or Fire TV DTS is not supported. In the case of the Roku interface you can say stream the mkv and only transcode the audio, but the Fire TV interface has no such option available.

So I found high bitrate 1080p videos with DTS were almost always choppy on the Fire TV because it was always pushing the single core too high. While on the Roku it would play back fine.

In the situation you describe about 4Mbit/s working but 8Mbit/s not is more likely related to your internet than the CPU. I have found the exact opposite of what you suggest using my setup. I advise my users to increase their settings to 20Mbit/s for all Rokus or Fire TVs because then if the bitrate of the file is below that it should be a direct stream with no transcoding provided. At least that is what my testing has shown. Sending a 1080p video with AAC or AC3 audio has resulted in almost zero transcoding being done to my Fire TV. Since on the Roku I can tell it to do the audio separate it doesn't matter as much to me for that interface.

Personally I prefer to use 720p files with AAC/AC3 audio.

So check through the app on the device people are using to see what options there are and what can reduce the CPU usage on transcode. That will help you identify if the problem is not a big enough pipe to stream it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

trexos said: Okay guys, I got plex up and running. I tried Big Buck Bunny (1080 version) 4Mbit/s 720p is working fine, but 8Mbit/s 1080p is laggy. 8 Mbit/s shouldn't be too much, so this might be because the CPU is to slow rendering? It's always 100% used.

Yeah, probably the CPU can't keep up, you need something pretty beefy for trancoding at 1080p. What CPU is the Plex server rocking?

• @vfuse said:
    You can try to play around with the transcoder settings for plex to see if it helps.

I'll do thank you!

@Hadriel

Wow, thank you for your long post :) Currently testing it with my Windows PC, so there should be enough power on the client side. I think 8Mbit/s shouldn't be too much for his connection as he reaches 1,3MB/s when downloading from the VPS.

@Nekki

As it's KVM I can only say that it's 1 Core @2399.996MHZ

• @Nekki said:
    Yeah, probably the CPU can't keep up, you need something pretty beefy for trancoding at 1080p. What CPU is the Plex server rocking?

Just for comparison I use E3-1290 V2. One core can send 1080p with AAC/AC3 as long as the encode is not a superhigh bitrate and you have the bandwidth.

• btw, how do you think plex will run on a kidechire?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

trexos said: As it's KVM I can only say that it's 1 Core @2399.996MHZ

The recommended minimum is a Core 2 Duo @ 2.40GHz, so worth looking at the core in your VPS to make sure it's at least a dual core CPU.

Hadriel said: Just for comparison I use E3-1290 V2. One core can send 1080p with AAC/AC3 as long as the encode is not a superhigh bitrate and you have the bandwidth.

Yeah, that's a pretty fast CPU, I manage just fine with an E3-1220 V2, rarely do I see the cores anywhere near 100%.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

trexos said: btw, how do you think plex will run on a kidechire?

Like shit if you're transcoding. The Atom N2800 can just about manage a 720p transcode, so the Kidichere wouldn't deal with a 1080p one.

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited April 2015

@trexos said:
    btw, how do you think plex will run on a kidechire?

Poorly would be my guess.

When I tested for my home and some family members I used:

Windows 2012 Server
    2GB Ram
    1vCore of E3-1290 V2
    SSD storage

It would lag out on a 10.7Mbps video encode with DTS while doing the conversion for something that doesn't natively support DTS.

However on a 9.26Mbps video encode without DTS using AC3 the video playback was fine.

I would try and get a E3-1230 V3 core and see if that works out.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I think that's the thing - you have to know your use case. If you don't need to transcode, you can run Plex on just about anything, so long as you have the bandwidth for the video you're streaming.

• NomadNomad Member

Kidechire won't do it. If it's for a single stream or for two devices Kimsufi KS1 plays it just fine though it's always 100%.

My E3-1220 v2 doesn't sweat at all. Even when it's transcoding.

Using a VPS for Plex is not a good idea since your VPS might get suspended.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Nomad said: Kidechire won't do it. If it's for a single stream or for two devices Kimsufi KS1 plays it just fine though it's always 100%.

You've got 2 simultaneous 1080p transcodes out of a N2800?

• @Nekki said:
    I think that's the thing - you have to know your use case. If you don't need to transcode, you can run Plex on just about anything, so long as you have the bandwidth for the video you're streaming.

Exactly right. I hate that the FireTV forces complete transcode on DTS and is not able to have the playback option the Roku does to just transcode the audio. Adding in a unknown device can really change your use case and screw with terabytes of recordings if you unknowingly make a bad choice.

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited April 2015

@Nekki said:
    Yeah, that's a pretty fast CPU, I manage just fine with an E3-1220 V2, rarely do I see the cores anywhere near 100%.

Sorry I missed this before. Do you slice that into VMs? Curious if a single core can do a full 1080p transcode.

• NomadNomad Member

@Nekki said:
    You've got 2 simultaneous 1080p transcodes out of a N2800?

I did. But they were not that high quality 1080p's. I tried two different movies just to be sure and tried streaming to two different devices. It worked. But I must admit they were not 10gb + movies. I assume N2800 did sweat too much transcoding them down.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Hadriel said: Sorry I missed this before. Do you slice that into VMs? Curious if a single core and do a full 1080p transcode.

Nope not sliced, this is a dedicated Plex/ownCloud server for a lot of people, it's probably over-specced for now, but as I get more family members onboard with Plex (those NowTV boxes are fantastic cheap Plex clients) it'll be working a lot harder.

• @Nekki said:
    Nope not sliced, this is a dedicated Plex/ownCloud server for a lot of people, it's probably over-specced for now, but as I get more family members onboard with Plex (those NowTV boxes are fantastic cheap Plex clients) it'll be working a lot harder.

Oh okay. I got tired of supporting the main single box. So I now just make them buy the VM and if they get tired of paying for it they can self cancel. I just support the large storage box which already holds my content, so not much more maintenance needed.

Side topic: most of my users are older and just getting them to use the Roku was slightly challenging. How does the NowTV box compare?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Hadriel said: Side topic: most of my users are older and just getting them to use the Roku was slightly challenging. How does the NowTV box compare?

Exactly the same, it's just the Roku 1 but heavily locked down. I had to sideload the Plex app, but my technophobe sister-in-law and my mum had no issues.

• creepcreep Member

i want to downgrade quality of my videos to 240p in Kidechire any help for working tutorial? its mp4, avi, and mkv.