Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows recovery problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows recovery problem

sc754sc754 Member

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone knows how to remove the windows recovery partition on windows 8.1. diskpart won't let me, nor will disk management or creating a recovery usb drive (no option to delete partition at the end). If I boot to a usb drive and use disk part there then it lets me delete it but then windows errors and won't boot. Does anyone know how to successfully remove the dam thing, my netbook only has a 32gb emmc and the recovery is taking up 10gb, when I could just be using a usb drive for that...

Thanks

Comments

• just reinstall using a wimboot setup. that's what i use for my meegopad which has a 32gb emmc

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited April 2015

First... you will have to reinstall (reformat)... else it'll be 80% of chance to ruin all data/windows install.

Second... decide if you want UEFI or MBR

Third -
    if MBR

Diskpart List Disk (identify your USB Drive) SELECT DISK 0 CLEAN CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY size=99000 SELECT PARTITION 1 ACTIVE EXIT

if UEFI

SELECT DISK 0 CLEAN CONVERT GPT CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY size=99000 SELECT PARTITION 1 ACTIVE EXIT

Hope that works for you!

• If you want to reinstall you might have to acquire the ISO from somewhere as I don't think Microsoft makes windows 8.1 with bing available for download anywhere (annoyingly) and that's likely the edition you'll need if it's one of these cheap laptops

• sc754sc754 Member

@dragon2611 said:
    If you want to reinstall you might have to acquire the ISO from somewhere as I don't think Microsoft makes windows 8.1 with bing available for download anywhere (annoyingly) and that's likely the edition you'll need if it's one of these cheap laptops

So I could just make a normal 8.1 bing recovery usb drive along with my key and use that? Would that allow me to remove this annoying partition?