Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenStack anyone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenStack anyone?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited September 2012 in General

Anyone played with http://www.openstack.org/software/start/?

It looks interesting - the most interesting part being full API compatibility with Amazon EC2 etc.

I know virt.io does OnApp, but this is open source and "huge". Lots of companies have already backed it.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

My brain completely shuts down after I read the word "cloud" about three times. They describe it so vaguely, at least to me. Admittedly I avoid cloud technologies because there has been so much associated with the word alone that just saying the word "cloud" no longer triggers any implications in my mind.

I feel like I need a dumbed down explanation of what this thing is exactly and what it's purpose ultimately is, and how that relates to LEB providers. Forgive me if I sound stupid, but certain words simply trigger an off switch in my brain. If accused of something, I hope it'll be honesty ;)

• You do understand NASA made it http://virtualizationreview.com/articles/2012/09/21/openstack-declares-indie.aspx?m=2 it is acutally a cloud you can move it from provider to provider. it is an acutally a real cloud if done right?

• @Zen said: The lack of OpenVZ support really pisses me off, there are MANY advantages to using OpenVZ over Xen/KVM.

It's like Amazon EC2. That's the best explanation. You get an API/platform/interface and you can spin up and down virtual machines per hour. OpenVZ does not work this way.

• @Zen said: Lead team are denying them implementation rights, not sure if there are publicly announced guidelines or reasons behind it though.

It might be to do with testing. As you can see it says "blocked in testing infrastructure". Maybe didn't pass the test or something.

What does it have to do with LEB? Well virt.io has OnApp and they're a LEB provider. Just another platform to be using.