Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS, Email goes to Spam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS, Email goes to Spam

CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Hi All,

I setup a server with centos 7 and plesk.... im having issues with plesk blocking mail i have disabled the service on certain domains but feel it's getting stuck somewhere, some of the sites i am hosting sendmail does work with wordpress however the email provider on the other end chucks it to spam.....

One thing i should note is the domains dns are not hosted on the server they are hosted somewhere else.

I've read there are spf records that can be entered to stop messages going to spam but im just so lost.

any help appreciated.

Comments

• SPF records are just TXT DNS records. Also, make sure you also setup DKIM and rDNS.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • BruceBruce Member

try using a mail relay, like mandrill. not perfect, but an improvement.

+1 re using DKIM and SPF

• More than likely your IP is blacklisted somewhere. Adding SPF won't fix that. Try putting your VPS IP in here and see what comes up:

http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

joereid said: Try putting your VPS IP in here and see what comes up:

Also here http://multirbl.valli.org/

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

ip is not black listed all okay... any other ideas

• Try using Interspire email marketer ... it's cheap and as delivers good. You can send with interspire even without rDns ... just install and send.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@biuletech said:
    Try using Interspire email marketer ... it's cheap and as delivers good. You can send with interspire even without rDns ... just install and send.

How would software on your system impact how other mail servers treat the lack of a PTR record?

• Is this a new email using the new vps ip? Try to wait for some time, email systems sometimes need to whitelist a new ip.

• rDNS needs to be set at a minimum. DKIM and SPF help.

• I delivered to inbox using vps and interspire installed .... without rDNS

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

@biuletech said:
    I delivered to inbox using vps and interspire installed .... without rDNS

That's cool, but I can guarantee you that it wasn't caused directly by the software alone. Good headers are important, and it may offer better default headers than a misconfigured application using PHP mail function, which would definitely be good, but the lack of a PTR record is a negative mark against the email on most recipient servers. For some, one negative mark in the headers may be too much due to other factors (content, domain reputation, etc).

• @davenz I' quite sure you'll be able to get this information from Plesk, under mail delivery or something (sorry never ever used Plesk before).

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited April 2015

Try Port25, emails you send to them will be checked by their anti-spam engine and send you back the results. You can check where you might have a bad setup.

http://www.port25.com/support/authentication-center/email-verification/

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

@Jar said:
    That's cool, but I can guarantee you that it wasn't caused directly by the software alone. Good headers are important, and it may offer better default headers than a misconfigured application using PHP mail function, which would definitely be good, but the lack of a PTR record is a negative mark against the email on most recipient servers. For some, one negative mark in the headers may be too much due to other factors (content, domain reputation, etc).

So the server is using WP-mail to send i disable postfix part of plesk all in one...

It sounds like a header issue... i need to make any domain able to send email and not go to spam....the ip address is fresh and Quadranet.