Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hubiCfuse or Cloudfuse?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hubiCfuse or Cloudfuse?

Hello everyone!

I have a simple question: what do you think it's best to use for hubiC, hubiCfuse or cloudfuse?

What are the difference between this two tools. I've been using hubiCfuse and I find it pretty good, expect for operations in the cloud root directory (super slow).

Comments

• NomadNomad Member

Why don't you give both a try?

Hubicfuse has decent speed.
    I don't know about cloudfuse but most probably you will run into the same problem if you try to move or copy files.

What problem you will ask? Well it just tries to rewrite the whole file in such a case but since your intention is backups I don't think it'll be a problem for you.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

hubicfuse is simply the version of cloudfuse modified to support hubic.

You can "try" cloudfuse, but it will not work, because hubic is not just "any installation of Swift".

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Thanks for the answer! Yes, my intention is backup. As an ignorant user that I'm I'll simply do "cp file1 /mnt/hubic/default/Documents/".

I don't really need to rename or move too often files. Also moving them I guess it will be easier from the webinterface.

Again, yes. I will not use hubiC for syncronization (I don't like this concept actually), simply for backup.

• @rm_ said:
    hubicfuse is simply the version of cloudfuse modified to support hubic.

You can "try" cloudfuse, but it will not work, because hubic is not just "any installation of Swift".

I thought so, but I also found online several how to where they use hubiC with cloudfuse. :|

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

they use hubiC with cloudfuse

You can, if you set up a proxy between cloudfuse and hubic (hubic2swiftgate, using Apache2, php, curl, mod_rewrite, mod_ssl). Do you really want to do that.

• Hahaha, not really. Well then, I will use hubiCfuse :) Thanks everyone :)

• There is only one thing I don't understand about hubiCfuse: I deleted some files from the web interface. However, the drive mounted on my server still lists the files. If I try to enter a deleted folder it says "No such file or directories", but the folder is visible. Is this normal?

• @Issam2204 said:
    Again, yes. I will not use hubiC for syncronization (I don't like this concept actually), simply for backup.

Try official tool from ovh http://mir7.ovh.net/ovh-applications/hubic/hubiC-Linux/2.1.0/

you can use hubic backup command to upload your files, it doesn't need syncronization. after your files uploaded into your backups, you can delete it from local. if you need it back again, you can download by using hubic backup download name_backup /local_path/ command.

dgprasetya@hubic:~$ export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-BGj77eUshO,guid=ce5dfdc14e9c9601078b4d08552d7419 dgprasetya@hubic:~$ hubic login --password_path=/home/dgprasetya/bin/passwd [email protected] dgprasetya@hubic:~$ hubic backup info Name Attached Local path Last backup Size 20150405 No - 4/5/2015 10:15 PM 7.54 GB audio20150409 No - 4/8/2015 8:31 PM 20.1 MB audio20150412 No - 4/12/2015 2:10 PM 20.1 MB audio20150413 No - 4/12/2015 5:31 PM 20.1 MB audio20150414 No - 4/13/2015 5:32 PM 20.1 MB audio20150415 No - 4/14/2015 5:31 PM 20.1 MB dgprasetya@hubic:~$ mkdir /tmp/audio20150414 dgprasetya@hubic:~$ hubic backup download audio20150414 /tmp/audio20150414/ dgprasetya@hubic:~$ ls /tmp/audio20150414/ backup dgprasetya@hubic:~$ ls /tmp/audio20150414/backup/ a1-2015-04-14.tar.gz a2-2015-04-14.tar.gz

Thanked by 2Issam2204 marrco
  • marrcomarrco Member
    edited April 2015

@dgprasetya where did you find documentation about guid, abstract and other parameters?

is there a guide to just BACKUPS for linux (debian minimal) and hubic somewhere?

edit: i found this: https://forums.hubic.com/showthread.php?272-hubiC-for-Linux-beta-3-is-out-! and a new backup-only mode has been added two months ago. Now hubic with its 25gb free per account is really interesting, considering that the official linux client finally supports backups

Thanked by 1dgprasetya
  • marrcomarrco Member
    edited April 2015

Ok, i did a few tests, the 'native client' is pure crap. Hubicfuse is the way to go. It can be installed in a few minutes and it's fast, just tested it right now from a DO droplet using hubicfuse on a debian 7:

root@hf3:~# dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/hubic/default/Documents/test2
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 116.445 s, 9.2 MB/s

so i guess i'll be using it for backups too.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited April 2015

Hi marrco!

Thank you for your answer!

Regarding hubiCfuse, it's a great pieace of software indeed. If your needs are to:

1) upload files smaller than 4GB (limit of swift is 5GB, but the developer put a limit of 4 just to be sure) or chunks of smaller files.

2) you don't "play" too much with mounting/unmounting the fuse partition

3) you don't operate on the root directory (called default) except for creating directories

4) you don't move/rename/delete too much files/folders

I thanked the developer for this great software, but for my usage unfortunately hubiCfuse is not ready. To be honest 95% fault lies within OVH and its crappy cloud.

• @Issam2204 - Are you still trying to find a storage provider? Do you need a filesystem mount or would an objectstore work?

• Hi MarkTurner!

I'm using Google Apps Unlimited right now. It's simply another world: streaming available, efficient, fast and well, the Google ecosystem is second to none :)

My need was to find something to backup a high amount of media files and documents into a cloud, something that would be accessible to all devices, and that it would not delete my files if I didn't have them on my computer. The only solution, the way I see it, is an "unlimited" cloud plan: as of now the only true solutions are Google Apps Unlimited and Amazon Cloud Drive Unlimited.

• NomadNomad Member

They say Google deletes files, especially if they're shared. And maybe since they might be using deduplication the same file is shared and deleted across all accounts thus not making it good for storing media files.

• And maybe since they might be using deduplication the same file is shared and deleted across all accounts thus not making it good for storing media files.

No it isn't.

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited April 2015

Personally I don't share files. If they really use deduplication and delete files that can become an issue for me.

• JurgenDJurgenD Member
    edited June 2015

You don't need them. Because you want only backup, simply use duplicity with native support for hubic. Most stable. Use only Cloudfuse combo hubic2swiftgate if you need permanent mount... Hubicfuse combo hubic-wrapper-to-swift because Hubic does expire etc access token at a given time and You need to refresh it with the refresh token. And I am still try to figure out S3QL use with hubic2swiftgate, but it seems not to work right of the box. If you want to get rid of the files limit You need to use S3QL, but the developer did choose to integrate de-duplication ! Not my favorite either to store files safely. Currently I consider duplicity the best solution at the moment to use in decent way and safe way, the HubiC cloud space on linux, so unfortionally (or not) only for backup... Hope this helps.