Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH threatens to leave France if proposed surveilance bill passes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH threatens to leave France if proposed surveilance bill passes

Five popular French web hosting providers, including Gandi and OVH, said on Thursday that the new French intelligence bill might push them to leave the country (French) in order not to lose their customers. The five companies are protesting against the "real-time capture of data connection" and their analysis by the intelligence services using "+black boxes+ with blurred lines". The web hosting providers believe that this project "will not reach its goal and will potentially put every French citizen under surveillance, that will result in the destruction of a major segment of the economy of our country," by pushing their customers to turn to other less intrusive territories. If the bill is passed as it is, "we have to move our infrastructure, our investments and our employees where our customers want to work with us". The companies have provided a listing of dozen cities where they "will suppress jobs instead of creating new ones."; "These are thousands of jobs (...) that startups and large companies will also create elsewhere," they add. The press release was addressed to the French Prime Minister, Manuel Valls, and was co-signed by Gandu, OVH, IDS, Ikoula and Lomaco.

From slashdot.

Your thoughts?

Thanked by 1Mark_R

Comments

• I know. To be honest, I kinda want to see the implementation details of such a move. They've got a fuckton of servers that they'd have to move if such a move were to take place.

• @Rallias said:
    I know. To be honest, I kinda want to see the implementation details of such a move. They've got a fuckton of servers that they'd have to move if such a move were to take place.

Oddly I don't see online.net on this. Personally I thought they would have join the flow.
    @bene_online ?

Thanked by 1oijpghjighoji
  • I really doubt OVH would do this. They have such a good deal on power in France, they are unlikely to get such a deal elsewhere.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @MarkTurner said:
    I really doubt OVH would do this. They have such a good deal on power in France, they are unlikely to get such a deal elsewhere.

Ukraine, Chernobyl.

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: Ukraine, Chernobyl.

Sure but imagine the error rate on everything.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @MarkTurner said:

Rumor has it dedis work twice as fast. Intel Atom on overclock

• @MarkTurner said:
    I really doubt OVH would do this. They have such a good deal on power in France, they are unlikely to get such a deal elsewhere.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Electricity-prices-europe.jpg

I wouldn't be too shocked if Romania was an option, they already have decent infrastructure in place.

Thanked by 1vpssamy
  • @Steven_F said:
    I wouldn't be too shocked if Romania was an option, they already have decent infrastructure in place.

I would like Romania

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2015

Doesn't France have a law that says you can't move your jobs out of France?
    Let me find and link it ...

Edit: No they can fire/move them, it just will cost $$$ as said below.

• @FrankZ said:
    Doesn't France have a law that says you can't move your jobs out of France?

Make them redundant. OVH has the cash

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited April 2015

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2015

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Oddly I don't see online.net on this. Personally I thought they would have join the flow. @bene_online ?

They couldn't, even if they wanted to. Online.net's parent company owns the second-largest ISP and fourth-largest mobile phone provider in France. You can't move those businesses.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • FrankZ said: Doesn't France have a law that says you can't move your jobs out of France?

I suspect that there'd be an exception if said jobs couldn't be done in France.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @Dylan said:
    They couldn't, even if they wanted to. Online.net's parent company owns the second-largest ISP and fourth-largest mobile phone provider in France. You can't move those businesses.

Fair point TBH. But im sure Online would loose a lot of business

Thanked by 2oijpghjighoji frank
  • @jnguyen said:

F*ck off please.

• The truth is almost every EU country has heavy surveillance going on. If France gets away with then other countries will too. Some are already far more draconian.

Will this surveillance be limited to servers or infrastructure terminating into France, or will be also traffic passing through France. Of course it will be all traffic flow into or across the country. So thats a lot of EU-wide traffic irrespective.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Ukraine, Chernobyl.

The Tarkovskian Zone. Infinite bandwidth, miraculous I/O and the total realization of desire. Price is free, join at your own risk.

• @MarkTurner said:

Why stop at France? Better leave Canada too seeing as how 'Bill C-51' is arguably the worst of them all.

• @HostNun said:
    Why stop at France? Better leave Canada too seeing as how 'Bill C-51' is arguably the worst of them all.

Seeing as support is dropping like a stone, I don't see what they have to worry about.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

They will not leave, but it's a nice gesture anyway.

Thanked by 2Infinity J1021
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • @StartledPhoenix said:
    Seeing as support is dropping like a stone, I don't see what they have to worry about.

Well, that's good. I haven't been keeping up with developments on it, but I remember hearing last month that the extent of its encroachment (as initially planned at least) was worse than anything else out there.

@Nyr said:
    They will not leave, but it's a nice gesture anyway.

Beau Geste Node

• I think Bruce Schneier sums up the general issue well, where security and encryption will either allow everyone or no one to peek at data, and it seems that national government's insist on taking a peek. There's no good or bad reasons, there's just the ability to or not.

It's one thing to leave France, another to find a suitable alternative.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Should OVH leave France to any other country with no government subsided electricity from their nice and shiny French power plants they would have to raise the prices.
    Since people are with OVH mostly because of an extraordinary cheap price, I don't see them doing that move, as this would be the main reason for Customer migration, not the surveillance, IMHO.

This are just 'negotiations'.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • its sad that the people of france have not learned from the mistakes that american's made. We got hit with a terroirst attack yes people died but removing our freedoms is really just letting the terriorst win.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Rallias said:
    I know. To be honest, I kinda want to see the implementation details of such a move. They've got a fuckton of servers that they'd have to move if such a move were to take place.

Thankfully, shipping containers are easy to move.

Thanks I'm here all night!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2015

ricardo said: There's no good or bad reasons, there's just the ability to or not.

Exactly, my data is my data and I dont want to share it by default.

Clouvider said: no government subsided electricity

Romania has no subsidies (even for households have been almost wiped out at EU request), more than 16 % of the power need is nuclear, about the same renewable, the nuclear can be tripled (2 reactors out of 6 are done only) and renewables are growing extremely fast, especially the wind on existing projects, but with recent price drops, solar is gaining ground, romania having some of the windiest places in eu (second after UK) and sunshine is also pretty good in places.
    The so-called "big brother laws" have been twice rejected by the constitutional court (so even data retention is illegal), but, unfortunately, that cannot last for long, the CC is under huge pressure, one judge was even arrested, slowly, a russian/US scenario plays out here, the secret services are taking over the government at US and even german pressure. Whether it will be definitive, it remains to be seen, romanians had one of the fiercest dictatorships in Europe and people still remember how it was to "fear thy neighbour for he might tell on you" kind of thing.

Thanked by 2Shade default
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2015

Deal with it. NSA has been doing it for years. American people haven't done a damn thing to stop it. We are the idiots that paying our tax to the government to surveil us. People are as dumb as pig.

• Idle threats.