Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Western Digital Does Not Provide Support for Drives Running Linux??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Western Digital Does Not Provide Support for Drives Running Linux??

CoreyCorey Member
edited September 2012 in General

I sent them the SMART data for the drives and this is what they send back.... I am FURIOUS.... I've sent them SMART data before and they have told me if it appears to them that I need to replace the drive or not.

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Joanna Peng.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately we do not provide support for hard drives used in systems running the Linux/Unix operating systems. My advice is for you to connect the drives in a Windows computer and run our Data LifeGuard Diagnostic tool. This tool is only compatible with Windows.

Please use Data LifeGuard Diagnostics to complete the Quick and Extended Test on your drive. The test will return an error code that will give you the status of your drive. If the drive contains errors, it may be able to repair the drive for you.

Comments

• Wow...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

Seems they just want you to run their software. If they spent good money on it to reduce excess claims, I could understand that. Replace it, ship it home, hook it up and tell them why their software says to replace it ;)

They should consider a Linux version though...

• @jarland to do this it would cost us more money than the drive is worth.... the drives are currently in a raid configuration hosting customers.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

They got a phone number? Sometimes they just need to know how serious you are ;)

• @jarland said: They got a phone number? Sometimes they just need to know how serious you are ;)

This is what I sent them -

This is a totally unacceptable response. The SMART feature of a drive can tell you if it needs to be replaced or not and your support staff has told me if drives need to be replaced in the past from SMART data. I will not buy another Western Digital drive from you guys if I need to 'hook it up to a windows system' to tell if the drive needs to be replaced. These drives are in a server in a datacenter in a raid configuration hosting customers I can't exactly take the drive out and put it in a windows machine etc etc..... even if I could it would cost me more money than the drive is worth. Escalate this ticket to someone that knows what they are talking about - and if you can't.... remove the SMART feature from the drive and let all your customers run the drive into the ground with no warranty options.

I only ask them to review the SMART data after I've already reviewed it and think that the drive needs to be replaced..... sometimes I could be wrong - and if I am wrong they aren't going to warranty it.

• @Corey said: I only ask them to review the SMART data after I've already reviewed it and think that the drive needs to be replaced..... sometimes I could be wrong - and if I am wrong they aren't going to warranty it.

let us know how they will further respond :)

• 1st question I have, are these Raid Edition drives? Are you using a raid card? Why did you buy WD drives?

• @miTgiB said: 1st question I have, are these Raid Edition drives? Are you using a raid card? Why did you buy WD drives?

Isn't that 3 questions? Albeit very good ones :-)

Thanked by 1klikli
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

@miTgiB said: 1st question I have. Why did you buy WD drives?

Fixed :P

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • Never had that before, i also never had to run their tool.
    Claimed RMA; shipped in, got a new HDD:

• @miTgiB said: 1st question I have, are these Raid Edition drives? Are you using a raid card? Why did you buy WD drives?

These are raptors.. they claim enterprise edition... yes raid card..... not all raid cards throw bad drives out of the array...... someone swore by WD that I knew.

• Did they ever make a good raptor? I have never read a good review on one. Anyway, just RMA the drive, put the reason as raid card tossed it from array, good enough.

• Why do you need to talk to WD anyway? Did you buy the drive from them directly? Just return it to your supplier and ask for a replacement.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @rsd100 vendor specific SMART values. I've always warrantied directly through WD.

• @miTgiB said: Did they ever make a good raptor? I have never read a good review on one. Anyway, just RMA the drive, put the reason as raid card tossed it from array, good enough.

We are switching to seagate.... some of the 7200RPM drives are better than raptors.

• If you send it directly to WD don't you have to pay the shipping though?

• @Corey said: We are switching to seagate....

I have many 2.5" Constellation in service, after a year I've had 1 fail, also many 3.5" SATA III and SAS2 Constellation, never an issue, using Toshiba 1tb SAS2 7200rpm now, but only a few months so too early to tell, but have bought a few cases of them so far.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited September 2012

@rds100 said: If you send it directly to WD don't you have to pay the shipping though?

Yes it costs $5 USPS priority... is there a supplier that doesn't make you?

@miTgiB said: I have many 2.5" Constellation in service, after a year I've had 1 fail, also many 3.5" SATA III and SAS2 Constellation, never an issue, using Toshiba 1tb SAS2 7200rpm now, but only a few months so too early to tell, but have bought a few cases of them so far.

Nice - Already replaced 2 WD drives this month - this year probably 8.

• Never had a problem replacing drives with WD. Just submit the RMA via their site and ship them off. Use "bad Sectors" as the reasons, no questions asked.

• Simply RMA it. When I returned a WD a few weeks ago they didn't even want to know anything about it. I'm not even sure if I had to say bad sectors.

• It's a drop down box and I think you have to select an option before it'll proceed.

• @Corey said: Already replaced 2 WD drives this month - this year probably 8

I do hand it to them, WD has about the easiest, least painful RMA process, I just got tired of having to use it and stopped buying their product a little over a year ago.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2012

WD is known to ship back different drives when you RMA depending on what they have in stock... i.e. ship in a WD Black or RE and get back a Blue. The only way around this seems to be to call in to arrange the RMA. You can ask what specific model will be replacing it, and if they try to give you a Blue, make them swap it for a different model.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It happened to me for an external drive, had 400 GB white got back 500 black.
    not a problem for me, but for raid setups will be a problem...
    M